Im going to try out for my local hockey team but first I need a practice schedule that fits me. Im a ROOKIE and its been my dream to play hockey since my city finally added a hockey team. I want something that will make me at their league. Which is traveling the nation and playing to get into college. So especially the Canadians and Europeans give me some tips to be a decent or even good hockey player.
lol u can't be serious, have u even stepped on the ice yet. I live in canada and have been playing since i was 4 years old now im 16 and I would be considered mediocore at best, and nowhere near good enough to get a scholoship to a Div. 1 school in the US.

But anyway..............best of luck to u with that
Rig:
Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Red
Fender Highway One Strat w/ 2 Seymour Duncan Hot Rails & Dimarzio X2N

Boss SD-1
Boss TU-2
Traynor YCV50 Blue
Get on the ice and practice skating back and forth from the middle to the end. Learn to turn around quickly. Practice as often as you want to be good.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
same here- im American and have been skating since 4, playing since 5 and am now 17 been playing high school varsity since i was a freshman and am now the captain. I think I could play D2 without a scholarship most.
Id recomend bulding stamina, working on passing and a wrist shot and Skating, skating, skating.
This isnt gonna come easy. Youre probably not gonna make a travel team on your first go if youre a rookie. Try playing house league first. See if you like it.
It's really hard to become a good Hockey player if you start after you are 5 or 6, in those years you do the most mental development. I started when I was 9 and I still suck after 5 years.
Good luck though, Hockey is one of the hardest sports so just because your good at basketball doesn't mean shit all, basketball is way easier then Hockey.
You will need forearm strength, good cardio, leg strength, upper body for checking and you can't be a wimp on the ice. You need a brain for the game, you need to learn breakouts, positioning, penalty killing etc.

How long do you have to practice?

EDIT: Decide whether you want to be goalie, defense or forward, forward you should know that the center is pretty much puck support, you should know what wingers are supposed to do, if you go defense you should learn how to sweep the puck from a guy and know whether you should hit a guy or not...
Last edited by raisinbran at Jan 27, 2007,
Quote by mack_attack_17
lol u can't be serious, have u even stepped on the ice yet. I live in canada and have been playing since i was 4 years old now im 16 and I would be considered mediocore at best, and nowhere near good enough to get a scholoship to a Div. 1 school in the US.

But anyway..............best of luck to u with that

yeah me too, how old are you and have you ever skated before?
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
Quote by raisinbran
It's really hard to become a good Hockey player if you start after you are 5 or 6, in those years you do the most mental development. I started when I was 9 and I still suck after 5 years.
Good luck though, Hockey is one of the hardest sports so just because your good at basketball doesn't mean shit all, basketball is way easier then Hockey.
You will need forearm strength, good cardio, leg strength, upper body for checking and you can't be a wimp on the ice. You need a brain for the game, you need to learn breakouts, positioning, penalty killing etc.

How long do you have to practice?

EDIT: Decide whether you want to be goalie, defense or forward, forward you should know that the center is pretty much puck support, you should know what wingers are supposed to do, if you go defense you should learn how to sweep the puck from a guy and know whether you should hit a guy or not...

so basically... im not saying you're screwed if you havent played since you were 4 or 5... no, wait... yeah that's exactly what im saying
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
lolololo good luck... unless you play hockey every day of the week in a rep team (or better) you wont be doing much, and it sounds like you don't know how to skate....good luck though.
Quote by Hellish_Wolf
I can see it now, in a year we will have kids walking up to girls "Hey baby, my career score on guitar hero is over 3 mill, ooooooh yeeah"

IS THAT SYRUP IN YOUR PANTS OR ARE YOU JUST HAPPY TO SEE ME??!!
Practice.

I'm out at the rink 5 days a week workin on shooting n skating.

It costs money here for ice time, but i play roller so i have alot of open spots.

If you've never played hockey before. I strongly suggest you get skating lessons. You'll see the other players will seem like theyre amazing at stopping and cutting back. Skating is a HUGE part of hockey, so get good at it.

Seeing how you're starting later, you'll catch on alot faster, but everyone else will be better. I had a friend that learned hockey about 2 years ago, and he's doin fine. Not gonna get a scholarship or anything, but he's enjoying it.

Shooting is something that like, you cant exactly explain how to do it, jus you kind of learn to yourself. I'm not sure how i can explain how to take a wrist shot.

Strong legs are needed. Hockey isnt like football or basketball where you have a burst of speed then you're done. Hockey you're giving it your full the entire time. Learn what a suicide drill is and practice that like crazy. It'll build up ur legs and cardio.

I dont know what else to tell ya. Jus get out practicing everyday if you can.

Good luck
Quote by dennmetal
RB cam RB speaks truth.
Last edited by RB cam RB at Jan 27, 2007,