(oops, I posted this on 'electric guitar' area of forum, where it probably should have been here.)

Say on a HSS strat, how easy / impossible would it be for someone (who knows what they're doing) to split the humbucker to get a single coil sound out of it? Can you put coil tap / split coil on an ordinary humbucker that doesn't have one initially?

Is this possible, worth it, to get something vaguely like a single coil sound in the bridge?

Cheers, one what may be a silly question.
Depends on what kind of wires come out of the humbucker.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
if your bucker has 4 wire output wiring then you can even do it yourself, otherwise you would have to disassamble the whole pup and probably repot it and do other stuff after you ****ed it up...
Its hard if it doesnt have the 4 wire output, don't do it if so, if it does have it then check out seymour duncan for their wiring diagrams.

Quote by robbo_0013
UniverseZero is some kind of pwnerer of numerals

Quote by spazzymagee417
your avatar entertains me.
Yeah, you need a 4-conducter, I think. You can check if you stock one is.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Is your strat a Squier or a Fender? If it is, it just may have a 4 conductor humbucker.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
If you know what you're doing then shouldn't you know how hard it is??? I'm confused.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
if each coil has a lead and a ground, it should be easy enough. i think that if you run an SPST switch so it goes like :

one coil ground
........\........../
.........\......../
..........\___/________output

and then meet up with the other pickups at the selector switch, or volume control (i forget where it goes first)

if what i think is right is right, you should be able to ground only one coil of your 'bucker in this manner.

the bottom is the middle pole.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.