hello, well im planning on getting a new bass sometime soon, i really want to find an explorer bass somewhere, or something that isnt red nor black. i play more poppunk to hardcore music, and i just want to hear what you guys think is a good bass that sounds good and isnt super expensive.
Yamaha RBX170 is a very good bass to start on
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
i always thought that explorers were more of a metal guitar shape and i think basses shaped like an explorer would be fairly expensive. but Fender Standard Presicions and Jazz basses arent to expensive.
get a spector legend 4 if you wanna drop about 500 bucks

they kick ass
My gear:
Spector Legend Classic (4 str)
Ampeg BA115
Korg AX3000B Modeling Processor

O _0
/###############
|###############
\###############

Member of the "Shoop da Whoop" club. PM C.C. Deville to join
Quote by Trabo
get a squire or something cheap

if your playing pop punk there is no need for anything over 250$

squire p-models sound ok for the price, should fit your style.

He probably already has a Squier or something similar. Why would you recommend that to someone who already plays?

Which style of music do you play the most, hardcore or pop-punk (or whatever is in between)? A Fender P-bass would probably fit your needs.
dean makes an explorer bass, but its in black. you could probably spraypaint it and make it look all grungy n shit. probably fit your style.

and to all the guys reccomending p basses in a thread where a guys asking for an explorer....wtf?
Guitars:
Custom les paul copy with sun inlay
Epiphone les paul custom with emg 81/85
Hondo 80's star shape(project)
ESP explorer (project)
Epiphone dr200s
Epiphone ej200
pedals:
mxr doubleshot distortion
amp:
Raven rg100
ok ive been playing bass for a while i dont need a starter bass, im now thinking of the Line 6 Variax 700. what do you guys think? i pretty much want it so i can cover all of my music tastes in one bass, plus i wanna be a producer someday and i was thinking it would be perfect for that, 24 bass models in one seems sweet.
Quote by nathan900
ok ive been playing bass for a while i dont need a starter bass, im now thinking of the Line 6 Variax 700. what do you guys think? i pretty much want it so i can cover all of my music tastes in one bass, plus i wanna be a producer someday and i was thinking it would be perfect for that, 24 bass models in one seems sweet.

Sorry didn't realise you already played. In my experience, the variax's arent very good. I know someone with one of the guitars and its been sent back to get repaired 3 times in the last 6 months, and when i played one of the basses in my local music store i didnt like it, i like to be able to rest my thumb on the pickup and the thumb rest didnt really help. Plus, i would rather buy a bass that is really good at one thing e.g. Fender p or j bass, mm stingray, ricky and so on rather than one bass that does everything
Quote by Bumper

Yeah the thunderbird has very good tones for rock, if you're looking to slap and pop though, its not the ideal bass but still good all the same
Quote by Bumper

Quote by indie-bassist
Yeah the thunderbird has very good tones for rock, if you're looking to slap and pop though, its not the ideal bass but still good all the same

And apparently it neck dives a lot. The neck is meant to be very heavy and this makes moving around stage more difficult.
signature
Quote by Bullet-Rule
And apparently it neck dives a lot. The neck is meant to be very heavy and this makes moving around stage more difficult.

Yeah that's true too, that's why nikki sixx has that opti-grab thing on his bass
Quote by Bumper