Ok so does john just use the big muff for this or is it his amp distortion? Also when he does the speed picking is he using a wah or phaser, im pretty sure he used a wah when i saw em live but anthony was standing right in front of him headbanging and whatnot so i couldnt tell. The tab says phaser.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Big Muff on the solo, wah at the last bit.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
its a wah, 2 guitars, with slow modulation and a tiny bit of delay.
Quote by Robb987123Bass
How do I quote someone in my sig? If you look at mine, you'll see that I've failed

██████████████
██████████████
██████████████
██████████████
██████████████
i read in a magazine that it was his DS-2, not his big muff. he might use his big muff onstage though. he also layers the guitars so there's two on the solo, which makes it difficult to get his tone. at the last bit, he uses a wah.

- Faisal
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
It seems like he uses a Big Muff. I play the solo with my Big Muff and it sounds great.
Sent from my iPad.
Your never gonna sound like the CD. He used so many studio tricks and overdubs on the solo, its just nuts.

But there is a thread on here from a few weeks back that listed every song on their new album. Then it had John's description of how he composed every song, right down to the exact brand name effects. Search around.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
DS-2 on chorus and then Big Muff added to it. The end is definitely a wah, just watch some of the live versions of the song.
My Gear :
Fender American Strat in Metallic Red
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Fender 15 Watt Amp (Upgrade soon to a Marshall )
Red Furry guitar strap

John Frusciante - The Greatest Guitarist EVER
I have a Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion for a long time and it never dissapointed me. Now I'm thinking about buying a Big Muff USA for solos cause Ds-2 has almost no gain... I'm Red Hot Chili Peppers fan and that's what i mostly play...besides Frusciante Solo stuff... What do you think? I heard that Muff is great so any different opinions?
i use my big muff and phase 90, but i havent tried it with wah
gear:
fender mim telecaster w/ some extra stuff
Vox Ad50vt
Vox V847 Wah
Boss OS-2
Keeley Boss DS-1 Ultra
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi USA
MXR Phase 90
Boss CH-1
i read somewhere that frusciante used a fuzz factory in the studio, but uses a big muff live. dont remember where i read that, so it may not be reliable. just figured i would throw it out thee anyway.