what's the diffrence between a humbucker or a single pickup?
thanks....
Humbuck usually gives you a more heavier tone for like metal, sing pickups are more the lighter stuff say rock or blues.
Quote by Aqua Dementia
I like to play this game where I'll see how many times I can look at a particular chicks ass or tits until I get caught.

Quote by WNxScythe
Fat chicks are different. They don't count, they aren't women.

Digitech Whammy Club!
humbuckers do exactly what they say...buck the hum...meaning they assist in reducing feedback noise n all that jazz from ur guitar,

'Buckers also do give a deeper more broad tone
This water's dark and coldGod's not where you hopedThis moment come and goneIt's time we all moved on
Single coils only use 1 coil, humbuckers use 2. Humbuckers tend to be more powerful and are better distorted typically, theyre called humbuckers coz they reduce the hum that single coils have. Single coils TYPICALLY sound better clean and they TYPICALLY cant get as distorted. Humbuckers arent just for metal, you can use them for just about anything but typically its distorted music, not always, by no means most semi acoustics are used for jazz and they have humbuckers. Single coils tend to be used for blues and rock that isnt TOO heavily distorted. Thats what i reckon.
Humbuckers reduce the feedback, so does that mean guitars incorporating humbuckers needn't be played wid palm muting???
Quote by Biggs
So you fear someone has broken in to your house?

I know what to do! Go on to Ultimate Guitar and tell everyone!

Oh, you just did.

My Rig:

Ibanez GRG-170DX
Marshall MG 10CD amps.
if the song needs palm muting then you palm mute it :S
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I got crap to do, okay? Counter-Strike isn't going to play itself.

This is a single coil, and it's components.

This is a humbucker. One coil is wound normally, and the other is reverse wound. The 2 signals cancel out the hum that you can get with singles. Also, humbuckers are warmer because they have much more coil, and they are normally higher output. The more coil on it, the less treble it puts out, and the higher the output because theres more to "amplify (for lack of a better word)" the vibrations it picks up.

If I missed anything just ask...

Edit: some strats have a reverse wound reverse polarity middle pickup so the two single coils would act as a humbucker
Quote by thundrstruk891
do EXACTLY what rock savior said.

EXACTLY.

Quote by SGKIDD
^^ X2,00,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

To me

Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club. PM greendayguitar or blues_rocker to join.
Well I'm getting to the level of ability (at least I believe I am) that it's bothering me how little using the toggle switch affects the actual tone. Is it worth it to get humbuckers or should I wait until I advance more? I have a strat.
single coils don't increase feedback. they don't cancel 60 cycle hum, which is different.

generally, humbuckers sound thicker and have more output, single coils sound thinner, more sparkly and brighter, with less output.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Schecter that I have has a neat coil tap that changes the humbuckers into single coils. If you don't have a tap, I understand you can add one on later, provided the humbuckers are wired for that capability.

My own questions, on this subject, do covers on humbuckers or single coils affect tone dramatically? Are those "lipstick" pickups basically covered single coils or are they a different thing entirely?
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Listen to Dave, he knows what he's talking about. If you like cleans a lot, get a Single coil guitar like a Strat or Tele. For a warmer sound, get something with humbuckers, like a Les Paul .
Humbucker - thicker fatter sound

Single Coils - Thinner cutting sound.
Quote by AdamDK
Listen to Dave, he knows what he's talking about. If you like cleans a lot, get a Single coil guitar like a Strat or Tele. For a warmer sound, get something with humbuckers, like a Les Paul .

I really don't like the clean tone of single coils; too thin sounding for me.

It's all preference
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by nnizzle
Can you put a humbucker on a strat?

Depends on the strat, but yes, most strats are pool routed under the pickguard.

You'll just need to buy a new pickguard.

EDIT: Or you can get a single coil sized humbucker
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Last edited by FacingUsAll at Feb 25, 2007,
Humbuckers!!!!!!!!!!!!
"I worked hard. Anyone who works as hard as I did can achieve the same results.” ~ Johann Sebastian Bach
for humbuckers, u can put on coil tap or w/e they call it to get it to cut kill one of the coils.
like the jimmy page LP wiring.

for single coils, u can add a mid boost like mine so it sounds really fat like a humbucker.

but i guess humbuckers can actually do both. except i don't like the clean tone of humbuckers.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by nnizzle
Well I'm getting to the level of ability (at least I believe I am) that it's bothering me how little using the toggle switch affects the actual tone. Is it worth it to get humbuckers or should I wait until I advance more? I have a strat.

Use your ears!!! The bridge coil sounds very bright and has a quack to it on strats, the neck one sounds alot more full and bassy. The middle is kind of in between.
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"