Hi everyone.

I have some insurance money coming through in May 07 of about £2000, which i think is $4000 at the current rate in US Dollars.

Anyway, the current situation stands like this. I have three guitars: a squire strat, a Minarik Lotus, and an Epiphone Les Paul Standard that i bought second hand for £200. Now, the only decent sounding guitar is the Epiphone. The other two are very basic and arent phyisically nice to play, so if selling them would be of use to fund towards new hardware then i am willing to do so.

Here's the confusing part. For sound, i am running the guitars through my computer, using Amplitube v2.1 to generate the amp sounds. However, i am using very standard 2.1 speakers that are not of any decent quality, but are ok for the most part. However, i am sick of going digital as i feel left out having no amps/cabs to see or touch and fiddle with, so i want to go the traditional route.

Now, it has been my dream for the past 2 years since i started playing to own a real Gibson Les Paul Standard in Cherry Sunburst flavour. I can imagine i am not the only one who has said that over the years! However, these do produce really great tones for all my needs and styles, but i know that to get the most out of it, i will need a good amp and extras.

So if a Les Paul Standard sets me back £1400, thats £600 left for an amp. I don't gig at all, i only play for personal pleasure, so i dont think ill need a hugely powerful amp. However, as i play classic rock more than any other, i feel like a good Marshall will be the best option, especially as i want to get the "women" tone like slash did so very often. However, i am confused as to what to get. I know nothing about amp models or cab models or tubes, only that they cost quite a bit

So, could anyone recommend me some amps and accessories? Will i need a few effects pedals too, such as reverb etc? I can afford to buy those if need be at a later date, as i dont want to go wild and spend a rediculous amount

Many thanks for any recommendations.

Nathan.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
get a gibson for 2000 dollars, an amp(marshal) for 400 dollars, and you have 200 for a dostortion pedal, a wha pedal and maybe reverb.
i wish was u!
Quote:
guy-get an ak-47 shoot him and blame it on his dog
man-he dont have one... can someone siriously help me?!
guy-just jack one froma local pet store. throw it in his yard. shoot him. duck tape the ak-14 to the dogs paw. run.. use gloves.
Gibsons don't cost $2000 in the UK sadly - it's closer to $3000 over here.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I just got a similar amount of money for the same reason...what i did was upgraded my exisiting amp a bit my jcm 900 altho if you havent got a great amp at moment get a decent engl or a decent marshall or laney? something around those likes for £600-£800

Then i spent £1200 on my new esp M-II ive still got £270 left over to just for buying stuff like games when needed and things.
As i have been running through digital, i have no amp that i can upgrade or use with the new guitar, so i think i'll be spending a few pounds of a good amp.

Also, another quick question: On my Epi, the neck is wide (wider than my Squire strat). Although this doesnt bother me at all, i though the neck on Gibsons were much thinner than most guitars, or does this apply to the style and body of the guitar (ie, 60's model compared with 50's?)
For an amp I'd recommend an Engl. They're cheapish here in the UK and they have a beautiful sound. I'd recommend an Engl Screamer Combo it might be about £100 over your £600 budget but you'll never feel like you want another amp.
First, do you honestly need a gibson?? You would look cool but you'd still have to play through your computer and it won't sound real good. The amp is the majority of your sound.

First, what music do you play??

Second, would you consider buying used??

Third, is your squire an alder body??

Edit: if you dont gig, why are you dropping 2000 on gear?? It's your decision in the end though...
Quote by thundrstruk891
do EXACTLY what rock savior said.

EXACTLY.

Quote by SGKIDD
^^ X2,00,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

To me

Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club. PM greendayguitar or blues_rocker to join.
I hate you. By my reckoning that's exactly enough for a LP and a Marshall TSL60 Combo. Which is a damn sweet rig, especially as you don't gig.

Depends on what you play and your preference, but I'm willing to bet you'll still love the sounds this setup would get you.
Look second hand at amps. A used JCM 800/900 combo is going to set you back about £400 on ebay and that'll give you a good classic sound and be a perfect match with the Gibson.
Quote by Rock Savior
First, do you honestly need a gibson?? You would look cool but you'd still have to play through your computer and it won't sound real good. The amp is the majority of your sound.

Yeah i realise that, thats why i wouldnt get a Gibson unless i could afford a decent amp to compliment it.

Quote by Rock Savior
First, what music do you play??

Classic Rock mainly - AC/DC, Guns, Aerosmith, Rolling Stones etc, but usually it is all improvisation around scales and modes. Play quite alot of Blues with lots of bass on the neck and a nice clean tone with slight reverb, along with Jazz. However, i rarely play metal, and if i do, its only Metallica or typical drop D tunes.

Quote by Rock Savior
Second, would you consider buying used??

The amps and effects etc - yeah of course (i just thought 2k would be enough to get some new equipment). However, as my Epi is second hand i would much rather go new, as most second hand Gibsons seem very expensive (probibly because their value increases over time) and i would like to have one that isnt damaged etc. However, for effects pedals etc that doesnt bother me at all, as they are purely there for one reason.

Quote by Rock Savior
Third, is your squire an alder body??

Sorry, i have no idea. How do i tell?

Quote by Vermintide
I hate you. By my reckoning that's exactly enough for a LP and a Marshall TSL60 Combo. Which is a damn sweet rig, especially as you don't gig.

Yeah, like i say i dont play at venues so it doesnt have to be anything hugely powerful.

Keep the recommendations coming. Its appreciated alot
I would seriously consider trying out as many guitars as you can at the Gibson's price- IMO they just plain aren't worth what they ask for them over here. Make sure you try out guitars like PRS, Eggle, Gordon Smith etc. to see what that type of cash can also get you. Another option would be a custom build from someone like legra or feline.

For the amp, you probably want to keep the wattage low, but that doesn't mean it has to be cheap.

The Cornford Hurricane, Harlequin and Carrerra would all be worth a look (I've only tried the hurricane, and it rules), which are £1200 (18 watts), £600 (5-8 watts) and £1000 (5-8 watts, more features) respectively.

Cornell make some really nice amps too- The Romany plus is £700-£800, is 10 watts, but can be turned down to 2 and 1/2 a watt, so you can crank it at low volumes. It has more of a fendery tone, though, so the Cornell plexi might be more what you're after, again I think you can lower the wattage to get cranked tone at lower volumes.

Carr would also be worth a look, they have several low wattage amps, I hear good things but haven't tried them.

I'd seriously consider spending more on the amp to be honest. Also, if you're lucky, there are some kickass deals going around at the moment on Eggle guitars. I'd seriously consider one of them, you can get one which is MUCH better than a Gibson for around £700. http://www.totalmusiccompany.com/tmc/index.php?keyword=eggle&Itemid=1&option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse (for example)

Basically, £2000 WILL buy you a totally pro rig. However, you sometimes have to be prepared to not go with the name brand and go with the slightly less-well-known guys, who by necessity have to produce quality stuff as they don't have the brand-name recognition to fall back on.

Of course, if your heart is set on a Gibson and you know you won't be happy unless it says Gibson on it, go for it. Only you know that.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ thats good advice there. You don't need the gibson and marshall logos to get the right sound. plus, i think you can get better quality and value if you go elsewhere.
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
^ let's put it like this. If you put a Cornford Hurricane up against a dsl401, the 401 would just refuse to turn on.

Eggles play better than most PRS's I've played (including the ones at about £3000). I got mine for £500 with a few minor cosmetic imperfections. EDIT: and it's implied that PRS pwns Gibson.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by kanamvar32
^ thats good advice there. You don't need the gibson and marshall logos to get the right sound. plus, i think you can get better quality and value if you go elsewhere.

But if you've got the cash, why not? I certainly would, there is just that certain x-factor that you just miss when you know you went for the "value" copy. Know what I mean? You feel like a god playing through the legendary stuff

You are correct, really, but if you can get a Gibson and Marshall easily, and you have the money to spare, you probably won't regret it.
^ I wouldn't call eggle a "value copy", it's not like I'm suggesting he go with epi or agile.

EDIT: that's just the thing. He has the cash for marshall and gibson, but he also has the cash for, IMO, something much better. Like cornford. Or cornell. Eggle. etc.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ I wouldn't call eggle a "value copy", it's not like I'm suggesting he go with epi or agile.

EDIT: that's just the thing. He has the cash for marshall and gibson, but he also has the cash for, IMO, something much better. Like cornford. Or cornell. Eggle. etc.

Yeah, I see your point. To be honest though, I've never heard of those. (Well, I have Comford.) It might be a bit hard to get hold of one, and to play it etc. When you're spending so much you wanna try it out, right? But if you go into ANY guitar shop, they practically force feed you Gibsons etc.
Last edited by Vermintide at Jan 27, 2007,
^ dunno, eggle are made in england, ditto cornford and cornell. They normally aren't that hard to find over here, you might have to look a little though. Eggle are kind of like the english PRS, while Gordon Smith are kind of like the english Gibson (with some Fender models thrown in too, and some originals).

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Why don't you buy an high-end Epiphone and put a Bareknuckle Nailbomb and a Mississippi Queen, for a more versatile sound?
^ assuming you mean an elitist, you could probably get a Gordon Smith or NOS eggle for a similar amount of cash. It is worth a look though, I haven't tried any of the elitists, but they are MIJ, and from what I hear are better than some of the lower-end Gibsons.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for all of the replies. I shall be looking back to the thread in a few weeks when i have a wonder into the city.

However, my uncle's friend owns quite a well established music shop not too far from me, and i may be able to get it a little cheaper from there if i spend like £2k i hope. However, my uncle also knows someone in America who may be able to get hold of one, but i dont know the pro's and con's of importing such items.

Would it be cheaper to purchase from the USA consideing the current pound to dollar rate, or would expenses such as shipping and transport severely hit any savings i might have gained in the first place?

Keep the comments rolling in, the more recommendations the more knowledge i'll get when i go out to try some.
^ you'd need to see. I'd expect a gibbo to be cheaper from the USA, remember to budget about a quarter (in round figures) for customs.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
MY VIRGINITY
Quote by roast
Cool, thanks Lagrance.

Randall Rx15
Ibanez Rg321Mh
Musima 25K Deluxe
Zoom 505 II