Hey guys,

After trying out nearly every other amp under the sun, I keep coming back to that Marshall tone, but I'm facing a very problemos. I tried out a JCM-800 t'other day (didn't check exactly which model, but I'm fairly certain it wasn't a reissue). Although it didn't wow me off the bat, I have a feeling it's what I want, with a few changes.

My main problems with the JCM-800 are as follows

- No clean channel (I need cleans pretty bad).
- Quite muddy - not enough bass and mushy mids (how can I clear up this muddiness?)
- Loved it with an OD pedal - but what's a good one?

Somehow, despite what I found wrong with it, I liked the JCM-800 far better than other amps I couldn't fault as much. It just seems like every other amp had its tone, and nothing more. It just seemed that a JCM-800 is so tweakable and easy to personalise your tone, and I think it'd be worthwhile. Plus I dson't really like pre-amp gain, I prefer the sound of an amp driven from the front with an OD pedal and gainy pickups.

So any tips for what I could do for cleans? Clearing up the muddiness? Recommend a good OD pedal?

If it helps, I play punk/hard rock/older metal, with a Schecter S-1 Elite in which I shall shortly be putting Bareknuckle Miracle Man/Cold Sweat combo. Thanks!
For clean: A/B your amp with another one that has a clean channel.
Muddiness: Get an EQ pedal.
OD: Tubescreamer or Jeckyll and Hyde.
No clean channel? Are you sure?

For clearing up the muddyness it usually just takes a lot of time to EQ perfectly, an OD pedal definately helps though.

For the OD I would recommend either the Boss SD-1 or the Maxon OD808 or a Tubescreamer

Nice choice btw
~ My Gear ~

Gibson Les Paul Studio in Alpine White with EMG 81/60
Fender Stratocaster
Marshall DSL401
Boss Metal Zone MT-2
Boss Super Overdrive SD-1
Boss Noise Suppressor NS-2
Digitech RP80
Samson Wireless
Fender Champions Series 30
Change the amps tubes in it.
I have a JCM 800 Combo from '86-'88 or something like that.

It sounded pretty shitty before I changed the tubes to new ones & got it biased (sp?).
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Well i tried a JCM800 and the thing is that they sound alot better when you have them on a decent volume. To get cleans just decrease the volume on your guitar. There are also two channel JCM800's.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
Well i tried a JCM800 and the thing is that they sound alot better when you have them on a decent volume. To get cleans just decrease the volume on your guitar. There are also two channel JCM800's.

Yup. Or just turn your gain down and use an OD for your distortion.

Hey cool, I've been sigged.
OR, you could A/B the inputs on it, and put the OD into high input, and maybe a chorus into the low input. My other band guitarist does this with his JMP, and it works great.
Also, it'd probably be cheaper than having a whole seperate amp, and easier for quick clean-dirty transitions. Good luck mate!

UPDATE: so I tried it, doesn't work, stick to rollin it back
Esp Ltd EC-400
Wylde Overdrive
Dano Eq
Fab Chorus
Boss Ns-7
Boss Me-50
Jcm 800 (to be replaced soon)

BIG
Last edited by Guitarist X at Jan 27, 2007,
Roll back your volume for cleans.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by cam_rock
Hey guys,

After trying out nearly every other amp under the sun, I keep coming back to that Marshall tone, but I'm facing a very problemos. I tried out a JCM-800 t'other day (didn't check exactly which model, but I'm fairly certain it wasn't a reissue). Although it didn't wow me off the bat, I have a feeling it's what I want, with a few changes.

My main problems with the JCM-800 are as follows

- No clean channel (I need cleans pretty bad).
2205 or 2210 are the two channel versions, with cleans and OD
- Quite muddy - not enough bass and mushy mids (how can I clear up this muddiness?)
EQ pedal, and it will clear up considerably at a decent volume, so maybe an attenuator as well.

- Loved it with an OD pedal - but what's a good one?
Whichever OD you tried it with and loved maybe?
Somehow, despite what I found wrong with it, I liked the JCM-800 far better than other amps I couldn't fault as much. It just seems like every other amp had its tone, and nothing more. It just seemed that a JCM-800 is so tweakable and easy to personalise your tone, and I think it'd be worthwhile. Plus I dson't really like pre-amp gain, I prefer the sound of an amp driven from the front with an OD pedal and gainy pickups.

So any tips for what I could do for cleans? Clearing up the muddiness? Recommend a good OD pedal?

If it helps, I play punk/hard rock/older metal, with a Schecter S-1 Elite in which I shall shortly be putting Bareknuckle Miracle Man/Cold Sweat combo. Thanks!

You can find the 2 channels all day on ebay.