hi, i just wondered if you could add notes that werent already in the scale to it, like an added 3rd in a minor pentatonic scale? thanks in advance.

- Faisal
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Sure you can.
You'd just call the scale something else.
Its just like chords:

Cmajor has the intervals 1 3 5
if you add a 6th interval to it, it'd be called C6.
Been away, am back
ok thanks, this really helps.

- Faisal
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
wait, are u talking about adding extra notes or replacing existing ones with others. If you are just adding extras, they are most likely going to be passing tones, a way to get from one note to another,(it's also called chromaticism). BUT if you are replacing notes then it would theoretically become a different scale
Quote by rhcp_freak
hi, i just wondered if you could add notes that werent already in the scale to it, like an added 3rd in a minor pentatonic scale? thanks in advance.

- Faisal

A minor pentatonic scale already has a minor third. If you add a major third you lose the quintessential identifying feature of all minor diatonic and pentatonic scales. Having both would sound really weird. That said, you could use it very briefly as a passing tone on your way to the perfect fourth.
Sure. Color notes and grace notes are imperative to the arsenal of a jazzer.
Your Majesty | All Lyrics/Melody/Piano/Guitar parts written by me. Please have a listen.
And not that I think he's the best or anything but Synyster Gates does a lot of that outside note stuff and it sounds weird, but in a good way.