Hey to you guys.

My friend's Dad lives and works in the USA, where Gibsons are a lot cheaper than they are here. And he is shipping in some stuff for his son.

Now me and his son are quite good friends, and he said that if I gave him the money, he could get me a brand new Gibson SG shipped in for £375 (god bless the Dollar and it's lack of value ).

Now, I intend to go down and play one for myself soon enough, but what are some basic things I should know about the SG before I splash out £375 (I'm only 14, that's all the money I have, and I'd still owe some to people) on one. Wide necks, wierd balance, anything (and I mean ANYTHING) that might put me off.

And it'd be playing through a Fender Frontman 15G. It will still sound rather sh*t then I fear, but would it sound better than my Vintage Metal Axxe Reaper (as some people say up to 99% of the tone is from the amp) . I am basically a bit of a n00b when it comes to these things, so any help appreciated.
R E G G A E
dont buy any gibson thats UNDER the standard
specail/studio = no more special than the stuff that came outta my arse half an hour ago
or an epiphone, just twice the price
It depends. To play an SG, it's a whole different technique. The bridge is at a different place than most guitars, the strap button is at a different spot (behind the neck instead of on the side) an a gibson is rather heavy. And if you do buy one, be sure not to let go of it, because the neck willhit the ground (unbalanced.) And it does have a wide neck. But it's a gibson so it's worth it. and it will still have awesome tone. It will be akward at first, but you should get the hang of it
Quote by NoneMoreBlack
It depends. To play an SG, it's a whole different technique. The bridge is at a different place than most guitars, the strap button is at a different spot (behind the neck instead of on the side) an a gibson is rather heavy. And if you do buy one, be sure not to let go of it, because the neck will hit the ground (unbalanced.) And it does have a wide neck. But it's a gibson so it's worth it. and it will still have awesome tone. It will be akward at first, but you should get the hang of it

That's really useful, thanks.

But on my guitar, the strap button is already behind the body. So that's nothing new.

My guitar, if you let go, the neck will drop suddenly towards the ground. So nothing new again.

My guitar has a quite wide neck, so that's OK.

Not sure about the bridge though. But kudos to you
R E G G A E
SGs are very nice guitars, just make sure you're getting a Standard and that you play one and like it first.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
SG's are nice guitars the only think that I don't like is there weak neck, make sure for the love of God you don't drop it or hit the head stock.

Also if it comes with Standard Green Deluxe tuners (it will) be careful if you hit them they will break and there expencive to replace.

And also only buy a Standard.

There really nice guitars though! good choice.
member #3 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join

Gibson Les Paul Std Trans Amber
Gibson Les Paul Std P90 Gold top
Gibson Les Paul 1968 Custom V.O.S.
1980 Chiquita Travel Guitar
Fender 2006 Anniversary
Ashdown Fallen Angel stack.
Quote by Cloudkill
SG's are nice guitars the only think that I don't like is there weak neck, make sure for the love of God you don't drop it or hit the head stock.

So, a slight tap on the headstock and the whole neck comes off?

How strong is it?
R E G G A E
Quote by Cloudkill

Also if it comes with Standard Green Deluxe tuners (it will) be careful if you hit them they will break and there expencive to replace.

And also only buy a Standard.

There really nice guitars though! good choice.

Im really tired of this, why only the standard? The Faded is like 500$ cheader just missing the finish and the p-90's. The pickups on mine are great there 490ralinco or something. What is the point of paying 500$ more for looks?
Quote by willpulman_172
That's really useful, thanks.

But on my guitar, the strap button is already behind the body. So that's nothing new.

My guitar, if you let go, the neck will drop suddenly towards the ground. So nothing new again.

My guitar has a quite wide neck, so that's OK.

Not sure about the bridge though. But kudos to you

you can always move the strap button to the side if it becomes a problem
Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
Quote by ThePeacefrog
Im really tired of this, why only the standard? The Faded is like 500$ cheader just missing the finish and the p-90's. The pickups on mine are great there 490ralinco or something. What is the point of paying 500$ more for looks?

The quality control of the faded SG's is much, much lower than the standards.
"Rock music is important to people because... it allows you...not to run away
from the problems that are there, but to face up to them, but at
the same time to sort of dance all over them.
That's what rock 'n' roll's about."
--Pete Townshend
it's not that the headstock and neck is weak or anything, but you see, if you break off the headstock or neck, you're screwed. its a set in neck, you can't just bolt on another neck, it will cost A LOT to fix. then, your guitar will never sound the same. in other words....

it's a serious investment and you must take care of it.
Quote by yorkshireterror
Dunlop's got the right idea
Oh yeah, only took me a few months
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
Quote by Danno13
No, you can't get an SG Standard for $600. I won't believe it.

You can't.

It's just the dollar is crapped out right now, so my friend's taking advantage. Low exchage rate.
R E G G A E
Try and hold out for a Standard, they're much better quality. What you are paying for the name, looks and sound is a lot less than other high end Gibsons. Better value than the '61 reissue SG anyhoo.
Quote by ThePeacefrog

most people will agree there failry overpriced, even tho there a cheap gibson. I couldn't see myself paying much more then 300 bucks for a special/faded. It just doesn't even feel like a gibson, i was more impressed with the Epi G400 and probibally would purchase that and change the pups then get a faded, it just doens't feel like a gibson. Make sure your getting a standard too, and not getting ripped off.