jsut recently, well within the last five minutes, i discovered the baritone guitar!!! i have plenty of guitars lying around and im handy with tools(no pun intended... but make jokes anyway), so im wondering is there any way that i can adapt a guitar so that it wil be a baritone guitar, or it least be able to be tuned down to b or c rather then e without the annoying rattle and looseness?
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
#15 Ramones Worshipper RAMONES PM hardrock1315 to join.
you can always tune down lower with thicker gauged strings. simple as that. the tension will be more stiff like a standard E tuned guitar but lower.
LSD

"Member #5 of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Pot Smokers Association. PM AK Guitarist to join."
Quote by ESPjohn666
Baritone has a longer scale length. Not just drop tuned. Youll need a new neck.

yeah. unless your guitars have the standard fender neck pocket, you'll be outta some luck. if they do have that square neck pocket then check out Warmoth.com. tons of customization stuff.
LSD

"Member #5 of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Pot Smokers Association. PM AK Guitarist to join."
thanks guys, but what is the difference in scale lenght, between a standard electric and a baritone electric?
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
#15 Ramones Worshipper RAMONES PM hardrock1315 to join.
The distance between the nut and bridge is the scale length.

Regular electrics are usually 24 3/4ths of an inch, 25 inches, or 25 1/2 of an inch. Baritones are something like 27 1/2 inches, or 28 3/4 inches.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Last edited by Will_Minus at Jan 27, 2007,
[quote="'']So why are baritones usually tuned to B and have a longer scale lengh?
To compensate for the lack of tension that comes from tuning your guitar low. That way you can tune low and still retain normal string tension. Even though some people use regular tuning with baritone scale length... I know a guy who does, he likes the increased tension. He says that now, regular guitars feel floppy.
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
[quote="'']So why are baritones usually tuned to B and have a longer scale lengh?

So that they will be baritone?

the baritone goes lower, and they will vibrate wth the same tension if they are longer
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.