well to my amazment i walked into long&mqquade today (music store in canada)

and they had a used mesa/boogie mark IV for 1400$

so i was planning on picking it up tomorrow but im headin outta town and need to know more about it

i only had time today to try it out a bit and i found the distortion incredible, but how are the cleans?
Quote by R_H_C_P
You're joking right?

It's like comparing sex to sticking your penis in a blender.

in many opinions, one of the best mesas ever. certainly one of the most versatile.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Great amps from every opinion I've heard. I'm getting one as soon as I get the cash. For that money though, it has to be a combo, right? Also, don't get it unless it has the graphic eq, that's a really big deal on those amps. They are basically the king of amps with awesome gain and pretty cleans all in one.
think metallica dude! I would murder for one of those amps..... Honestly! If anyone wants to die I would gladly assist!
great cleans if you like the Fendery type cleans. The original Mark I was based on a Fender Bassman circuit.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
yeah its a combo and it has a graphic eq and its in a custom finish

and my buddies dad has an original mark I and its cleans are fantastic and i was wondering if the mark IV lived up to it

so yeah imma go put the money down tomorrow for it i cant wait
Quote by R_H_C_P
You're joking right?

the cleans are nice. you can go from near acoustic sounding cleans to shimmery ones with a few turns of some knobs. there are a ton of knobs and switches to fiddle around with so it takes time getting the sound you want but more often than not you can get the sound you want. i bought my mark iv in december and Im having a lot of fun with it. havent played with a lot of distortion yet since i dont have damn humbuckers but im planning on changing that soon hehe.

def get it with the graphic eq. that just adds a ton more versatility. which custom finsih is the amp? those custom options are pretty pricey so if you really like the look the price tag seems quite reasonable. also, what tubes are in it? original mesas?
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
no theyre not the original mesa tubes but theyre mesa

and its retailing just under 1400$ which as far as i know is a good deal
Quote by R_H_C_P
You're joking right?

If you're looking for versatility (with an emphasis on great cleans) I recommend retubing with Ruby power tubes and Tung-Sol 12AX7 Reissue preamp tubes. You could throw in a JJ ECC83 into the V3 or V4 position as well for a little more gain. Cascading gain, ftw.
Hi, I'm Peter
^On eBay they go for more like $1200 tops... Well, heads anyway, is it a head or combo? I don't know how much they are new, but eBay would be a good idea; there's one ending in 25 minutes at $900 right now.
Great cleans, more gain than you may ever need, what more could you ask for in one amp?

You should take the time to either look online for a manual or call mesa for a manual, it's important to read it because the Mark IV is a tweakers dream. The manual is very good at covering the interaction between all the controls.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
alright thanks ill get the manual

and its a combo goin for just under 1400$ canadian

and i dont need great cleans, id like them to be nice and jazzy, but if anytihng id like a good soft crunk like clapton or buddy guy
Quote by R_H_C_P
You're joking right?

I played one of the Mark IV heads connected to some random cab at guitar center... it wasn't as good as I hoped. I played around with it for a good 20 minutes, and I used a variety of guitars. Don't get me wrong, it's a sweet amp, but with all the high talk about them I figured it would be excellent.
great amp.. lucky bastard..
I'm gonna go play one at the Hollywood mesa boogie store when i go amp testing in afew weeks..
hopefully will have it before the end of the year..
+
I Baked Cookies: If it was a shit cab (which guitar center is notorious for) thats probably why it didn't completely kick your ass... or it could have been really old tubes (another GC thing)
Like one time I went into a GC and played a Mesa Boogie Nomad.. and I was like "meh"

but then I went in a month later, and the guy told me they just retubed it (after having it for like a year..) and it played amazing...
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
20 minutes is not enough time to fiddle with a mark iv. there are too many options besides bass treble and mid controls to deal with haha. also you need a nice cab to go with the mark iv.
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
Quote by Striketalonx
great amp.. lucky bastard..
I'm gonna go play one at the Hollywood mesa boogie store when i go amp testing in afew weeks..
hopefully will have it before the end of the year..
+
I Baked Cookies: If it was a shit cab (which guitar center is notorious for) thats probably why it didn't completely kick your ass... or it could have been really old tubes (another GC thing)
Like one time I went into a GC and played a Mesa Boogie Nomad.. and I was like "meh"

but then I went in a month later, and the guy told me they just retubed it (after having it for like a year..) and it played amazing...

Not only that, but there are 17 tone shaping knobs, many of them push-pull, a 5 band graphic EQ, voicing switches, and all sorts of other things to shape your tone on a Mark IV. It took me months to find what I wanted out of it.
Hi, I'm Peter
^Meh, that's one of the reasons I probably wouldn't buy a Boogie (if I had the cash ). 3-band EQ, gain, and volume is plenty for me.
I think I might have to throw down on one with my tax returns.
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
im getting the C-1 Hellraiser Baritone and replacing the EMG 81 with my Zakk Wylde EMG 81

****in great dude