G.I.R.L
!
701 IQ
My band is supporting our friend's band next Friday (who are big in the local area) and I am nervous as hell. Ar practice with them yesterday I almost threw up during our set list. Me and the singer had to run outside to throw up and we were frozen with fear outside. I really don't know why I'm like this because I really want to play. Then I realised we couldn't even play our set list so I have to write two originals for next week and to top it off I have writers block,. How can I calm myself down?
#20 Ramones Worshipper RAMONES. PM hardrock1315 to join.
treflip
UG's Duke Of Essex
1,030 IQ
Don't play if you're in that much of a state. The whole point of a gig is to enjoy it, and if you're that worked up about it, you won't enjoy it one bit.
Liarsenic12
47 IQ
picture everyone in there underwear.
Gear
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Ibanez Jump Start
Fender Acoustic
Ibanez Tone Blaster 100 Head
Hartke 412 Cab
Boss Chromatic Tuner Pedal
Boss Noise Suppressor
Ibanez Weaping Demon
Saitoh
88 IQ
First of all it very common to be nervous about the first gig(and other gigs aswell). Alcohol would do good getting you calm. If you don't wanna drink then try to think of it as fun and don't think about playing something wrong and such.
AdamDK
Meh.
2,296 IQ
Just sit back and relax. Don't think you're playing in front of people. If it really helps (Although you'll have 0 stage presence) don't take your eye off the fretboard at the show.
G.I.R.L
!
701 IQ
Quote by treflip
Don't play if you're in that much of a state. The whole point of a gig is to enjoy it, and if you're that worked up about it, you won't enjoy it one bit.

I really want to though, I just get worried about screwing up, and I need to find a way to calm myself down.
#20 Ramones Worshipper RAMONES. PM hardrock1315 to join.
sloppyjoe24
CHOO CHOO!
2,571 IQ
Don't worry, once you get started playing on the set, the nerves kinda go away

Q#m
e|--6--|
B|--5--|
G|--7--|
D|--7--|x2586
A|--5--|
E|-----|

Play until she breaks up with you.

The most brutal band to ever exist is...

You should go like them...even if you don't like them.

-Sloppyjoe24
Andras5soul
Metallica anyone?
522 IQ
the first few minutes will prolly suck if your that nervous but ull get into it by the 2nd song trust me.
Warrior Generation X Double Cutaway - EMG 85's
Schecter C1 Classic - ZW EMG's
Fender Strat - DG20 EMG's
Yamaha Acoustic-Electric
Metal Zone
Roland Cube 60
BIG STUBBIES!
etc.
NOtrab
UG's Pearl Jam freak
180 IQ
tell the people that u r nervous...talk to the people.thats what i do
##_Guitar-newb
Fat Scouse Sh|t
983 IQ
pretend your punk, the whole point is to mess up then. Also, dont be silly! 2 people throwing up at rehearsal...jesus.
Founder Of The "Jimmy Page Stole All Of My Potential Riffs" Club PM To Join!.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Meh, I usually just buy them off the local shaman, unless I'm in the wilderness, where I rely on raw meat to raise my HP.
-andrew-andrew-
16 IQ
Just practice really hard all the time before the gig and dont think about screwing up just play to have fun. The times I played not thinking about screwing up i played alot better and had alot of fun.
elcheezor
22 IQ
Just remember, that most most of the people in the audience only wished they could play. Just take some deep breaths, and what they said before, unless your lead singer, you really don't have to address the crowd that much, relax, take some deep breaths, and just play.
jfbrown42
Not a n00b any more!
150 IQ
Just keep playing, no matter what happens.
Guitars: Carvin TL-60T, Carvin C750 Acoustic, Squier Strat w/Carvin C22B & AP11's, Alvarez-Yairi DY76 12-string, Eastman MD-605 Mandolin, Fender Mandocaster, Ibanez UKS-10 Ukulele
Teh1337Hax0rz
89 IQ
before a gig i isolate myself in a room and blast music...usually heavy thrash that way when i get to stage i'm pumped, and when i'm pumped i don't mess up
Quote by AzureNight
Don't worry guys, he's just bitter because he has a small dick.

Quote by Alexander_BR
You know that good feeling when you take a crap, gay sex is like that

Proud member of the Cardboard Mafia. Search "free boxes" for info.
trio fan
99 IQ
Nobody will notice if you screw up. Just have a couple of beers and you'll be ok
Epiphone les paul custom
Epiphone les paul 56' reissue goldtop
Custom Telecaster
Boss ME-50
Digitech flanger
Digitech Hot Head
Marshall MG100DFX

Unmarked P-bass
Johnson J-style
Aria STB jazzbass
Fender Rumble 100
Helloween_rox
UG Fanatic
1,179 IQ
Or smoke some weed before hand, like maybe 1 joint. It'll take the edge off a lot.
Question not yourself. Challenge those who would deny you your true self for an independent thinker is the greatest enemy to those who seek to control you
SGstriker
UG Addict
3,556 IQ
Dude seriously, once your on stage you forget about the nervousness. Its all about the music once your onstage...thats what its like for me anyway. Just go crazy with it.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
Skuzzmo
949 IQ
You've just got to bite the bullet, get up there and get thru it.....the nerves will go after about 5 minutes and you'll be buzzing and have a big grin on your face......if you don't do it you'll be so pissed of with yourself....

And if your scared of making a twat of yourself and what the audince thinks...screw them, so what if 'x' number of people thought you were crap. Unfortunatly there aren't any tips or tricks to stop you feeling the way you are now, you've just got ta get up there and do it.

But once you've broken your stage virginity you'll wanna be up there all the time....
[
Shredlet
UG Fanatic
1,160 IQ
masturbate
Quote by Aqua Dementia
I like to play this game where I'll see how many times I can look at a particular chicks ass or tits until I get caught.

Quote by WNxScythe
Fat chicks are different. They don't count, they aren't women.

Digitech Whammy Club!
poochy
Aoxomoxoa
935 IQ
unless you have an audience full of perfect pitched, music theory nuts, no one will really notice minor flaws. One of the greatest pieces of advice I got when I first started playing gigs was that even great players and performers mess up live. Live recordings are patched together, and edited like hell. Oh, and take from Crosby Stills and Nash.... live at Woodstock... it was their second gig, and after screwing up Suite: Judy Blue Eyes they announced "This is the second time we've ever played in front of people. We're scared shitless!" But, you probably don't have too many covers, so no one will notice if you mess up an original.

Sorry for the rambling, and incoherentness of this, by the way.
'01 Sunburst Strat>1953 Valco Supro

'06 Jazz bass>'78 Bassman 10

Simple rig fan.
Shredlet
UG Fanatic
1,160 IQ
okay take this advice: just dont mess up okay!? just dont, the audience will boo you and you will cry like a little girl and then the auidence will laugh at you.... so just dont mess up!

Have I jinxed you yet?

Remeber dont mess up!
Quote by Aqua Dementia
I like to play this game where I'll see how many times I can look at a particular chicks ass or tits until I get caught.

Quote by WNxScythe

Digitech Whammy Club!
anoceanapart
145 IQ
The first song you'll be nervous- from then on you'll just be having fun.

What's with puking at rehearsal though?
Your Majesty | All Lyrics/Melody/Piano/Guitar parts written by me. Please have a listen.
Ymogn
Wookiee Spy
43 IQ
Quote by G.I.R.L
I really want to though, I just get worried about screwing up, and I need to find a way to calm myself down.

If you've ever seen anything Hendrix did live you have no reason to fear screwing up. You can't possibly do as badly as he did on numerous occasions.
Shredlet
UG Fanatic
1,160 IQ
well how the **** is he gonna burn his guitar genious!?
Quote by Aqua Dementia

Quote by WNxScythe

Digitech Whammy Club!
GiantRaven
UG Spammer
1,301 IQ
Quote by Shredlet
well how the **** is he gonna burn his guitar genious!?

Calm down, you seem very hostile...
gtrfrk123
R.I.P. Syd Barrett
3,477 IQ
Quote by AdamDK
Just sit back and relax. Don't think you're playing in front of people. If it really helps (Although you'll have 0 stage presence) don't take your eye off the fretboard at the show.

unless you're like me and headband and rock out and stuff while playing alone, lol. this guy knows what he's talking about, anytime i ever play for anyone, i pretend there's no one there
~gtrfrk

founder of the dunlop pick fan club

RIP Roger "Syd" Barrett

"Let the good times roll"
bucky_2300
Onward!
1,344 IQ
When on stage, make like you know exactly what you are doing. It reads well for the audience, and it relaxes you. I also try to make sure that I'm really warmed up, and triple-check everything so I don't worry about gear on stage.

This last one is one that I know really works for me, but not some others, so take it with a grain of salt.

Enter really ostentatiously. Not Elton John kind of ostentatious, but with that "I am the **** of the goddamn walk" attitude. I like to hit a huge loud A power chord, and immediately run out on stage. Ninety-five percent of the time, you'll get a roar from the audience, and there are few things that feel as good as that. Just let the chord ring, and then start in to your first song. It's simple and easy, so it's virtually impossible to screw up. Also, it sounds and looks absolutely wicked.
no
666Sabbath666
Popcorn Playa'
432 IQ
Talk to the audience and maybe make some jokes, and by the second or third song you'll be good
OAKLAND A's - 9 TIME CHAMPS!!

DUKE BLUE DEVILS - 4 TIME CHAMPS & 19 TIME ACC CHAMPS!!

OAKLAND RAIDERS - 4 TIME LEAGUE CHAMPS!!

GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS - 3 TIME LEAGUE CHAMPS!!

SAN JOSE SHARKS - NONE LOL!!
nephi
psychology major
310 IQ
man, just go out and play.. i guess almost everyone has the first gig jitters.. but performing is just so great, you just have to go!
^_^