Ok I may be flamed but I have no idea where to put this so i dont care....
Ive been thinking about ordering a mandolin. Ive been playing guitar for a few years and I was wondering if its a big transition. Also, can I tune it with a guitar tuner somehow?
thnx
you can tune it with a guitar tuner aslong as it has a mic on it. and swtiching to a mandolin isnt hard for a guitarist to do. youll only need to get used to the smaller fret spacing and different tuning, and doubled strings.
yea, my friend just got one, the main difference is the tuning, and theres not too many tabs and songs unless you listen to a lot of irish punk or stuff like that
I played mandolin for a few years before I started guitar. They're a lot of fun.
yea its easy and fun the only thing is you need to learn some new chord shapes
Quote by GuitarHobbiest
What exactly is a powerchord?

Quote by laid_to_waste
My trouser snake is friendly. If you pet him, he might even do a trick! think I'm going to hell for that one.
Mandolins are way fun, I used to play one before I played guitar. I wonder if it's around here somewhere...

They're tuned like a violin, so the tuning goes GDAE from lowest to highest.
Quote by Kai-7
You are the greatest. Wow. CaptainWow

Bumblebee of the Mighty Autobots. PM Kankuro to join.
UG Irish Clan - Póg mo thóin
Metals Fetishist of the"Please Sir, I want GORE" Club - UG Horror Fans and Gorehounds Unite!
You should probably be able to pick it up pretty quickly. I played the violin for 8 years before getting one, so I picked it up nearly as soon as I got it. They're good fun to mess about on too. What mandolin are you thinking of buying?
In musician talk there is an 'other instruments' thread.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.