What would be a good Mic for an Acoustic guitar recording with vocals? Something Under $300

Would this mic also be capable of recording electric guitar?
Do you want one mic for both? That's probably not the best idea...

Condenser mics are usually used for recording (and amplifying) acoustic instruments while dynamic mics are used to pick up vocals. For under $300 though you could get two Shure SM57's.
Member #6 of the Agile LP over Epiphone LP Club. PM iamtehwalrus768 to join.
When it comes to flipping pancakes, it's better than burgers.
um..... what?
you can get a set of mxl 990/991 mics and record both really well for under 100
Quote by gogita21
Do you want one mic for both? That's probably not the best idea...

Condenser mics are usually used for recording (and amplifying) acoustic instruments while dynamic mics are used to pick up vocals. For under $300 though you could get two Shure SM57's.

yeah i was hoping for one mic for both.. is that not what people usually do?

So the Shure SM57's have a condensor and dynamic mic?
ok, you dont want an SM57 for acoustic guitar or vocals. its a dynamic mic that is more suited towards recording an amp or a snare drum. i am going to second the mxl 990/991 set that baraloth recomended. it is two condensor mics for around $100. the mxl 990 is good for vocals and the 991 is good for acoustic guitar. if you want to record them separately, you can even use both mics to get a very full acoustic guitar sound. the other $200 of your budget can be spend on a nice computer interface or mixer, stands, a pop filter, and some good cables.

then you can also use the mics to record your electric, but they arent ideally suited for that. they would work, just might not sound exactly the way you are hoping. and you have to be careful not to overload the condensor mics with a loud amp.
Condenser mics are usually used for recording (and amplifying) acoustic instruments while dynamic mics are used to pick up vocals. For

Why do you post information when you obviously do not have any notable experience to base your post on? This is a completely fallacy.

While you can certainly record vocals with a dyanamic microphone, overall a large diaphram condenser is typically the most popular overall. It totally depends on the voice and the type of music whether a condenser, dynamic, or ribbon is used. In the end, the only way to really learn the difference between each mic is to use them yourself. Talking about them on forums doesn't do a whole lot of good.

While dynamics are most popular on guitar cabinets, many many many electric guitars have been used with condensers and ribbons.

If I had $300 I would pickup a used Shure SM57 and then use the other $225 on a condenser. I'd take a look at Shure, MXL, and Audio Technica.

Brandon
Thanks for the replies guys i think im going to go with the MXL set.

is there any other things i should be buying, im fairly new to recording. have been using a cheap computer microphone.

How important is a pop filter, and i have Audicity is that good enough? Anthing else i should have?
Last edited by TonyKeidis at Jan 28, 2007,