Page 1 of 3
What are the dangers of opening a glow stick? I have one of those regular ones you buy at a walgreens or w/e for parties and stuff. I want to open one what and play with the glowy liquid. What are the dangers of this?
It might say on the package, I think it's fine to open them though seeing as I have and I am fine.
Quote by Zeppfreak170
I onece dumped a girl that I was seeing who already had a boyfriend... So anyway she put on like a stone and i dumped her telling her it was because i felt really guilty etc etc.

But really it's cos she got fat!

No fat chicks !
um
The light stick contains two chemicals and a suitable fluorescent dye (sensitizer, or fluorophor). The chemicals in the plastic tube are a mixture of the dye and a derivate of phenyl oxalate ester (also called Cyalume). The chemical inside the glass vial is concentrated (about 35%) hydrogen peroxide. By mixing the peroxide with the phenyl oxalate ester, a chemical reaction takes place; the ester is oxidized, yielding two molecules of phenol and one molecule of peroxyacid ester. The peroxyacid decomposes spontaneously to carbon dioxide, releasing energy that excites the dye, which then deexcites by releasing a photon. The wavelength of the photon depends on the structure of the dye; eg. 9,10-bis(phenylethynyl)anthracene gives green light, 9,10-diphenylanthracene yields blue light, 5,6,11,12-tetraphenylnaphthacene yields red light. Other colors can be made of combination of dyes, eg. purple requires three dyes.

Other chemicals are usually present in the mixture as well; eg. sodium salicylate as a catalyst, and Bis(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate (DEHP) as a solvent.

Instead of cyalume, bis(2,4,5-trichlorophenyl-6-carbopentoxyphenyl)oxalate (CPPO) is used in practical formulations, as it gives significantly better quantum yield.

Spectral emission of chemoluminescence (green line) of mixed fluorophore and peroxide which was removed from an orange lightstick, fluorescence of liquid fluorophore in glass ampoule only (before mixing) while under black light (yellow-orange line), fluorescence of plastic outer container of orange lightstick under blacklight (red line), and spectrum of reassembled chemoluminescent lightstick (glowing liquid poured back into original orange plastic vial) (darker orange line). This plot thus shows that the orange light from an orange lightstick (identical to the one in the above lightstick disassembly image) is created by a greenish-yellow light emitting chemoluminescent liquid partially inducing fluorescence in (and being filtered by) an orange plastic container.
bis(2,4,5-trichlorophenyl-6-carbopentoxyphenyl)oxalate (CPPO)A similar reaction can be achieved with bis(2,4,6-trichlorophenyl)oxalate (TCPO).

The dyes used in lightsticks usually exhibit fluorescence when exposed to ultraviolet radiation. Therefore even a spent lightstick will shine under a black light.

[edit] Fluorophors used
9,10-diphenylanthracene (DPA) emits blue light
1-chloro-9,10-diphenylanthracene (1-chloro(DPA)) and 2-chloro-9,10-diphenylanthracene (2-chloro(DPA)) emit blue-green light with higher efficiency than unsubstituted DPA, dihydro(DPA) is purple [1]
9,10-bis(phenylethynyl)anthracene (BPEA) emits green light
1-chloro-9,10-bis(phenylethynyl)anthracene emits yellow-green light, used in 30-minute high-intensity Cyalume sticks
2-chloro-9,10-bis(phenylethynyl)anthracene emits green light, used in 12-hour low-intensity Cyalume sticks
1,8-dichloro-9,10-bis(phenylethynyl)anthracene emits yellow light, used in Cyalume sticks
Rubrene emits orange-red light.
2,4-di-tert-butylphenyl 1,4,5,8-tetracarboxynaphthalene diamide emits deep red light, together with DPA is used to produce white or hot-pink light, depending on their ratio

9,10-diphenylanthracene yields blue light

9,10-bis(phenylethynyl) anthracene yields green light

1-chloro- 9,10-bis(phenylethynyl) anthracene yields yellow light

rubrene (5,6,11,12-tetraphenyl naphthacene) yields yellow light

5,12-bis(phenylethynyl) naphthacene yields orange light

Rhodamine 6G yields orange light

Rhodamine B yields red light
I wouldn't touch your eyes, etc. Until you wash your hands after. I doubt it's corrosive. As well, don't taste it.
Quote by CrEePiNgDeAtH66
i dunno just dont get it in your eye i found out the hard way it ****ing burns

It doesn't taste too good either.
Quote by Kai-7
You are the greatest. Wow. CaptainWow

Bumblebee of the Mighty Autobots. PM Kankuro to join.
UG Irish Clan - Póg mo thóin
Metals Fetishist of the"Please Sir, I want GORE" Club - UG Horror Fans and Gorehounds Unite!
If it says non-toxic on the package then it's alright.
If you do play with it, i recommend splashing it all over the walls and floor and turning off all the lights. It looks like night sky.
Peace.
That stuff'll corrode your hands, give you AIDS and then turn your corpse into a zombie that'll rape and kill everyone who attends your funeral, for the love of all that is holy don't open that glow stick.
The pixie-fairies will all fly out.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
they burn after a lil while on your skin, if thats where you were going to put it.
A Seven Nation army couldn't hold me back.
I'm gonna wait a few hours to try this. I'll probably just play around with the stuff or cover my guitar in it lol
heres whats fun to do with about 50 glow sticks. open each and every one of them and pour about 25 of them into a sink that you can keep it from going down. then use the other thing that was inside of the glow stick that contain the other chemical and open 25 of them into the 2 pools. then just goto bed and watch ppl freak out trying to figure out how thats happining. works best if your at a camp.
And yes its true and amazing. I have a GF.
Quote by (-:
Does it smell like ass?

It smells like plastic.
Quote by Zeppfreak170
I onece dumped a girl that I was seeing who already had a boyfriend... So anyway she put on like a stone and i dumped her telling her it was because i felt really guilty etc etc.

But really it's cos she got fat!

No fat chicks !
I was at church camp one time, and me and some of my buds ran down the hallway with a broked glowstick, getting all the stuff all over the walls. The walls were all glowy...it was some tight shit.
Quote by Dæmönika
When I became ill last week, I had to make a critlist for people who came in and looked at my songs. Now, I've decided to make a cuntlist for The Pit. Starting with this thread. So far I have:

atreyu+a7xfan
Sailor Jerry
Dimebag22
Bobthemonkey14
Quote by (-:
How do you suggest I open them?

butcher knife, its big, sharp and can hurt people (including yourself, so dont add red to the colour of glow stick)
Quote by Zangetsu 101
Girl (Ned/chav) annoying me on the bus.

Me "Have you ever bled out your arse-hole?"

Her: Facial expression was priceless - "What??! Noo!"

Me: "Well if you want to keep it that way, **** off."

She then turned away and whimpered.
Quote by (-:
I want to open one what and play with the glowy liquid. What are the dangers of this?

[Insert sexual joke here]
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Quote by GibsonPuppeteer
I've had the tiny ones in my mouth and accidentally swallowed a bit of the liquid, you should be all right.

Sigged so it can be taken out of context.
Thorns Of Creation
Melodic Death Metal from Oregon
Check us out.

Quote by GibsonPuppeteer
I've had tiny ones in my mouth and accidentally swallowed a bit of the liquid, you should be all right.
Quote by Metal Disciple
Sigged so it can be taken out of context.

is there any thread in the pit that wont eventully go on to sexually explitive jokes, or buttsecks? or both?
Quote by Zangetsu 101
Girl (Ned/chav) annoying me on the bus.

Me "Have you ever bled out your arse-hole?"

Her: Facial expression was priceless - "What??! Noo!"

Me: "Well if you want to keep it that way, **** off."

She then turned away and whimpered.
Where should I make a hole in the glow stick? I don't have a butcher knife.. I have a hammer, big scissors, cardboard box cutter thing and some plain razors
Quote by fire within
is there any thread in the pit that wont eventully go on to sexually explitive jokes, or buttsecks? or both?

no never
Quote by fire within

that's like asking if there's ever gonna be a jew who enjoys baking.
Quote by xchiefx
that's like asking if there's ever gonna be a jew who enjoys baking.

. That and the signature up there have made me laugh.
Quote by cubs
whats happens if you get that stuff on your shirt? cus yesterday i was at a party and i got some on my shirt, will the stains go off?

There's another potential sig that could be taken out of context.

I think the stuff washes out though.
Quote by Kai-7
You are the greatest. Wow. CaptainWow

Bumblebee of the Mighty Autobots. PM Kankuro to join.
UG Irish Clan - Póg mo thóin
Metals Fetishist of the"Please Sir, I want GORE" Club - UG Horror Fans and Gorehounds Unite!
Quote by GibsonPuppeteer
I've had the tiny ones in my mouth and accidentally swallowed a bit of the liquid, you should be all right.

Quote by cubs
whats happens if you get that stuff on your shirt? cus yesterday i was at a party and i got some on my shirt, will the stains go off?

some great sig-worthy quotes from this thread!
I was biting one at a rave and it broke, the liquid tasted like shit and a glass shard (from the little glass capsule that you break) cut the inside of my mouth.
Guitarrist living in the Kitchener/Waterloo area and looking to join a band.
I'm not gonna drink it, I' just gonna play around with it. I cracked a glow stick so it would glow at 1:00 PM PST and it is now almost 6:00 PM PST and the glow stick is still pretty bright. The brightness has only went down a bit
Quote by GibsonPuppeteer

Quote by cubs
My brother actually got some in his mouth once. His teeth glowed for a couple of days, even though he brushed them. This was about 10 or more years ago, though, when they were more dangerous and easily stained stuff.
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
They weren't homeless they were just Grunge.
I've read online that the standard ones usually last up to 6 hours... I've had mine glowing for almost 6 hours now (5 hours and 57 minutes). The really strong ones last up to 12 hours
Quote by GibsonPuppeteer

Quote by cubs
Page 1 of 3