I've just started looking into mesa's and was wondering what models i could buy for $1000-$1500 that have good cleans and have a modern distortion but can also do some nice overdrived blues and classic rock. Probably a new one, because i'm trading some non-guitar stuff in at my local music store. Also it would have to be a combo, don't really need or want a stack

Thanks,
enjoi91
Last edited by enjoi91 at Jan 27, 2007,
Why would you want a mesa for that kind of music.

^I used a period because that is not really a question.

Anyway, look into Lone Stars and maybe Mark series amps. You're probably better served by a Marshall, Fender, Vox, or Dr. Z though...
Alright i will look into some of those amps that you mentioned.

do you know what the prices are like for a new lonestar?
Good cleans + modern distortion is kind of hard with Mesa. Not sure about prices....but you should check these out

EDit: Whoops, saw you wanted a combo. Yeah, I'd trust danno.
yeah i asked about the roadking one day and its about $1000 out of my price range
mark iv
lonestar
and some others just check out their site
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
i have looked at their site and im on it right now, but i can't find their prices for the amps.
also how much was the Mark IV?
Quote by enjoi91
Alright i will look into some of those amps that you mentioned.

do you know what the prices are like for a new lonestar?

You're looking at $1,700 brand new usd
alright, thanks for all of the replies and thanks for the link Half Full
new mark iv is $1849 base price. dealers are not allowed to charge anything other than this ( at least in california it seems haha). With tax mine was $2001 but I just bought the head. The combo is $1949 I believe.
Gibson SG Special
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head

combo is more. 1949 is base price, not with tax. it was 100 more than the base price for the head.
Gibson SG Special
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head

My combo was $1,800 when I bought it 8 years ago

And I think a Mark IV is a great choice. You can get great cleans from the Rh 1 channel, your blues-type clipping with the Rh 2, and the Lead channel has great, lush gain. If you can find one used with the factory warranty, that's your best bet. But good luck doing that.
Hi, I'm Peter
You can find mark IV's used in the $1200 range regularly. I'd also suggest the Mark III as well as the Lonestar classic.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
I was thinking Lonestar at first, but that doesn't really get the "modern distortion" he was looking for.
Hi, I'm Peter
I didn't see the bit about "modern distorsion". It's nearly the same money as a MKIV, more than a MKIII, which is another solid option, especially a red stripe.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.