How does a slide work? I mean how does it sound like a fretless guitar when you slide with one?
Member #29 of the "Use Your Fecking Dictionary Club." PM Dæmönika to join.

Current Gear: Hamer XT Sunburst Qlt
Epiphone SG G-400
Bugera 333 212

Roland Cube 60
+ some pedals.

because you don't press the strings onto the fret wires. You sort only press them down "half way"

Do you hold the slide at an angle?
Member #29 of the "Use Your Fecking Dictionary Club." PM Dæmönika to join.

Current Gear: Hamer XT Sunburst Qlt
Epiphone SG G-400
Bugera 333 212

Roland Cube 60
+ some pedals.

it does not press the strings down to the board, instead it sits on top of the strings and slides up and down. Take any smooth piece of metal you have lying around (a cell phone works too) and sit it on your strings, then play a note and slide the thingy up and down the board
Nah, you can do it in standard. Or open D or E. But yes, most people do play slide in some sort of open tuning.
Quote by cokeisbetter
Nah, you can do it in standard.

I guess. Although everything I've tried to play in standard with a slide sounds like crap.
When you play slide in an open tuning all the notes of a chord are inline with the fret you are on. So say you are in say Open E, when you slide into a note if you mute the other strings you just get the not you played. If you let the other strings ring out you get overtones. This is because the slide is still resting on all the the other strings which (when unmuted) sound. Overtones can sound good in open tunings like in delta blues.

What i do is mute all the strings im not playing with my right hand and slide using my 3rd finger using my first two fingers of my right hand to drag behind the slide dampening the strings (a la Duane Allman).

When people try to learn to play slide they always try to play using a pick because they can't be bothered to learn how to do right-hand muting. Playing with fingers IMO is better then playing with a pick when playing slide because you can mute out all these un wanted notes.