Ok. So I'm one of those people who feels the need to have something no one else has. So I bought this '72 Telecaster Deluxe Reissue shortly after they were introduced in 2004. . At the time this guitar not a whole lot of people were using them, but now they seem to had gained super popularity. So taking my beloved telecaster and doing a good bit of personalization. I've already ordered olympic white paint and nitro clear coat from Reranch. Supposedly, alot of old white fenders arent clearcoated because clear coat gives the white a yellow tint. I'm going to clear coat it in hopes i get a vintage white or ivory, and I'm also using nitrocellulose for resonance purposes and in hopes it will yellow as it ages. I have no experience in refinishing guitars, but ReRanch provides several super-dummyfied sets of instructions, so I think I'll be ok. I also would LOVE to install a Bigsby, But this will be a task as 1) the Bisby Tele conversion kits are made for conventional single coil Tele's, 2) It would require me installing a bridge similiar to those on Gibsons, which require two massive holes, and 3) the guitar is currently string through-body, which means I would need to fill those six holes, which I imagine cant be good for resonance. I would also love to switch out the cheap pots, and the quite-muddy "Wide Range" pickups. (which have nothing in common with Fenders original Love-designed Wide Range pickups, noted for thier clearness.) To add to the list of problems I need to find something that will strip the current nylon finish. So yeah, I'll be posting pictures as i progress, and tips or advice would be EXTEMELY appreciated. Tell me what you guys think!
a little lie says you'd like nothing better.....
i dont have much to say except i am curious to how this will turn out
GEAR
- Epi Les Paul Custom (emma)
- Orange Tiny Terror
- 2x12 w/greenbacks
-MXR ZW-44 Overdrivel
- MXR Phase 90
- EB Volume JR.
- Boss DD-3
Quote by mellorocker
... I would also love to switch out the cheap pots, and the quite-muddy "Wide Range" pickups. (which have nothing in common with Fenders original Love-designed Wide Range pickups, noted for thier clearness.) To add to the list of problems I need to find something that will strip the current nylon finish. So yeah, I'll be posting pictures as i progress, and tips or advice would be EXTEMELY appreciated. Tell me what you guys think!

Looks like you've done your homework and you have a plan. I'm looking forward to this mod.

As far as advice or questions, there's a lot of savvy modders, finishers, and pros here. You should do well. Good luck!

I love '72 reissues! Personally, I'd stick with the black and replace all the hardware with gold stuff.
If you're set on the white, maybe look into black binding? I think that'd look teh secks
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
nah...I love binding, but it'd serve no purpose on this guitar, I chose white (creme hopefully) because thats my favorite color, I'm also quite hard on equipment and white shows scratches less. But like i said, anybody know something that would strip the Fender finish?
Regular sand paper would get off your finish just fine.
And you have to get a tortoise pickguard if you paint it cream.
Quote by mellorocker
nah...I love binding, but it'd serve no purpose on this guitar, I chose white (creme hopefully) because thats my favorite color, I'm also quite hard on equipment and white shows scratches less. But like i said, anybody know something that would strip the Fender finish?

There are 2 methods for stripping: chemical or sandpaper. If you go the chemical route, start with the most conservative first, lacquer reducer ... kinda slow. If the finish is polyurethane, you'd probably want to use the faster, harsher, and recommended Aircraft Remover by Kleen Strip.

Otherwise, if you plan to just paint over the existing finish, you can just scuff sand the body with 220 grit, to totally remove all the gloss.

The finishing supply you ordered from has more details on this. Check out ReRanch 101 - Guitar Finishing.
Quote by m_hedborg
...And you have to get a tortoise pickguard if you paint it cream.

Oh i know dude...I havent been able to find one though for the '72 Deluxe model, my friend Matt has a Fender Jazz Bass in creme with a white tortoiseshell pickguard (i guess thats what you'd call it) and its pretty dang sexy. And Ippon, i read about that (heh like 50 times) but i live in WV and im not sure about the obtainability of Aircraft Remover. I'm really strongly considering sanding it off with really hxc sandpaper and then bleaching the body a few times....
Quote by mellorocker
... i live in WV and im not sure about the obtainability of Aircraft Remover. I'm really strongly considering sanding it off with really hxc sandpaper and then bleaching the body a few times....

In case you decide you want to strip it completely, Aircraft Remover is available at AutoZone and most auto parts supply stores.

You can also use a heatgun for stripping. That would be a lot faster then sanding, I guess
If it's polyester (like on MIM Fender), you're screwed. It's a real bitch to get off, even worse than polyurethane.
ok so heres the gutted body:

It still looks pretty good....but me and the previous owner have been hard on it..If my local autoparts store has Aircraft Remover I'll use that to strip it, if not I'll probably use sand paper to remove the stupid Fender polyester finish...(I belive I said nylon finish before...i have no clue where that idea came from)...so i should post a picture of the stripping process withing the next few days...and im currently inquiring about the Bigsby.
Ok...so i found the Aircraft Remover at Autozone, after $8.00 and a good questioning from the clerk as to what i was planning to do with it, I took it home and went right to work.

note the space heater, as it was 15 degrees out side:

So stripping guitars has officially been added (along with tuning a Fender twelve-string) to my "Least-Enjoyable-Guitar-Related-Experiences" list. To anyone planning to perform a similiar project, I would like you to know that Aircraft Remover did very little work in this stripping process. After letting it sit for HOURS it would only consume the clearcoat (quite well actually), but leave the paint itself very much unscathed. By a stroke of luck (or accident) i discovered that letting the body get superheated by leaving it up against the aforementioned space heater actually made the paint AND primer simply peel itself off the guitar, and i shucked the rest off with a dull paint scraper.Soooo hours and hours later...heres my stripped and half-sanded guitar:

Next step: Procuring that bigsby. I've definately decided i want one, I will fill the holes in the body that the strings previously went through, and put a Bigsby 6 saddle bridge on. Ebay, here i come....