kk basically I wont bore you with shit I'll just get to the point

I can play Blues guitar like a god and nothing else. Problem being I don't want to play blues. I dno why but if it's not blues my fingers just decide to stop working
example - I can play ''mary had a little lamb'' by SRV perfect half asleep behind my back but if when i try to play something like ''Fear of the Dark'' by Iron Maiden lol my fingers just die lol

See I've been trying to play metal guitar since I started and just started playing blues chords, scales so on for fun. I have no idea why I have this problem well issue I guess. I would practice metal guitar for about 9 hours a day and just do blues licks/riffs when I got a bit bored. I really want to be able to metal but my fingers want to do blues so it's starting to get to me.

plz don't bitch ( feel free to laugh though i do all the time) just some advice or something.

thanks.
uhh i think whats happening is mentaly you dont wanna play metal... but iam no doctor lol... so i suggest this.. get a metal guitar book and practice the exersises from it and later on start to work your way up and try to work your way up to songs. iam sure you can play it
lower your action and look up eruption from van halen and try to nail some of those licks then learn a few speed licks and you'll be on your way. And playing mary had a little lamb perfectly doesn't make you a blues god.
**** sake i was using that song as an example i can play alot more advanced blues then that, i just had to pick a song well known.
OK this dude is THE BLUES GOD he really does suck at metal though when he tries its like a drummer trying to use a microwave
It could just be your practice routine. Do you practice out side of your Blues scales? I mean dedicating alot of time to different diatonic scales.
epic7734
Turn up that distortion and hammer out some manly powerchords and insane chromatic riffs.
Member of the "Guitarists Born in 1991 Club". PM blues_rocker or greendayguitar to join.

Dean Guitars.
You are the chosen one. Give up on metal. You are THE BLUES GOD. Follow your destiny. Hell, your ID is Christ on Acis. How much more of a hint do you want.

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist. I read a similar thread somewhere else on this forum. I think most of the advice was to stop playing the Pentatonic scale. And to play Lydian. This is just what I've read, Hell I don't even know the Lydian scale.

Best of Luck!
Uphill,

Lydian isn't a scale? Damn sometimes I don't know what I'm talking about. SOmeday I will try the Lydian mode. Thanks for the heads up.
Well modes are like scales within a scale, as in a major scale with certain notes raised or lowered. So, it's only not a scale if you're being technical about it..
[SIZE=
Yes, I started a thread awhile back asking why the blues seem to come out of my fingers the best. After some replies it did not seem to be all that uncommon. This is especially true of people just starting out.

I just started guitar about three months ago, and my pentatonic scales always seem to come out bluesy (sp?). After investigating even more, it seems that speed has a lot to do with it too. Metal solos seem to be played at very fast speed; faster than I had ever appreciated before picking up this new hobby. It certianly has made me gain respect for those who shred well.

I now do about 30 minutes a day just working on chromatics so my speed will improve.

Chris
your muscles are probably too used to blues scales so that when u see metal stuff written in natural minor or harmonic minor whatever, ur fingers just dont know how to move into that shape

basically look up natural and harmonic minor and recognize their shapes, notes within them, patterns and licks, etc

also for that exotic metal sound (ie solos in hangar 18 among others) u might want to look up phyrgian dominant
Quote by christ_on_acid?
kk basically I wont bore you with shit I'll just get to the point

I can play Blues guitar like a god and nothing else. Problem being I don't want to play blues. I dno why but if it's not blues my fingers just decide to stop working
example - I can play ''mary had a little lamb'' by SRV perfect half asleep behind my back but if when i try to play something like ''Fear of the Dark'' by Iron Maiden lol my fingers just die lol

See I've been trying to play metal guitar since I started and just started playing blues chords, scales so on for fun. I have no idea why I have this problem well issue I guess. I would practice metal guitar for about 9 hours a day and just do blues licks/riffs when I got a bit bored. I really want to be able to metal but my fingers want to do blues so it's starting to get to me.

plz don't bitch ( feel free to laugh though i do all the time) just some advice or something.

thanks.

im sorry but that makes you sound like a real **** head. just practise ... youll get there i guess.
Member of Australia FTW Club !

BASS RIG BUDGET $245 / $4900

Quote by UG
thank you zackR .
beadhangingOne hit it right on the head...you've developed muscle memory for that stuff only. When you come up against something new, the muscles in your hands and arms go crazy 'cause this is something they're not familiar with.
Working on chromatics is great...it breaks up the monotony. Try to find as many different exercises as you can that aren't bluesy, and set up a regiment where you practice a different se tof exercises each day. That way, you won't get stuck in those ruts, either.