Hey dudes,
I'm having a problem when it comes to putting the neck into the neck pocket. There's about a 1 maybe 2mm gap at the most (I'll post a photo of the gap when I get my digital camera back.) Now the neck pocket hasn't been painted as you can see below and I doubt I'd be able to paint it because I've ran out of materials for it but I thought that paint would've filled in this small gap.

Now, I was wondering if anyone else has ran into a problem like this. If so, how did you fix it? Or could anyone suggest a way in which this might be fixed.
Quote by TiMaRmStRoNg101
there was once this girl
in my school
and she was like
'greenday is so punk'

and i was all
omgelitist
'fawkofffffffffff'
and punched her in the face.
cause i can do that
cause I know more about punk rock and stuff
Is the neck pocket completely level?

Check.
And if it's not, level it.
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
Yep, it's 100% level. I've checked almost everything. The gap is on either the top/bottom part of the neck pocket (Looking at the photo.) depending where I place the neck.

I know from the photo it doesn't look like much but in person it's noticable.
Quote by TiMaRmStRoNg101
there was once this girl
in my school
and she was like
'greenday is so punk'

and i was all
omgelitist
'fawkofffffffffff'
cause i can do that
Last edited by CoolDudeMorgasm at Jan 27, 2007,
Is it a shelf neck?

Are you installing a pickguard which will go that high?

Are you so concerned by 1mm or so?

I'd say... If need be, shim it with a sliver woodjust so that it doesn't look like it's missing too much.

Or just get a small bottle of black paint and do the neck pocket black.
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!
It's a warmoth neck and the pickguard doesn't cover it unfortunately. I'm not really concerned by it but I'd just be better without it. Thanks, I'll look into what you suggested.
Quote by TiMaRmStRoNg101
there was once this girl
in my school
and she was like
'greenday is so punk'

and i was all
omgelitist
'fawkofffffffffff'
cause i can do that
Just a word of caution before you start drilling holes to bolt the neck and the bridge to the body - make sure everything lines up, as in the strings are properly spaced and parallel throughout the length of the neck.

I had the same problem with an unknown body (from Japan) with a neck pocket slightly wider than the typical Fender neck. I test fitted everything before finalizing the hole placement for the neck. It's pretty obvious below:

The saving grace is that it actually plays very well, sounds very nice, has sustain, very low action, and no dead frets. It's an odd combination: Mahogany body, maple/rosewood neck (instead of mahogany/rosewood), and is HSS.

Remember, measure 2, 3, 4 times, drill once. Good Luck!

That's fairly common with factory parts, there's not much you can do a pickguard will hide most of that anyway.