ok so ive been playing guitar for a while now and i can play covers, i can write but i wanna step it up by learning scales and theory. so in your opinion which should i learn first music theory or scales.
Both at the same time.

What i mean is when you are learning scales you are learning theory.

Find a scale and practice it, but don't stop there. Learn why the scale is made up of the notes that are in the scale.
epic7734
Mhm, what those guys said is right. Scales are music theory. So when you learn your scales, try to understand why the notes are where they are, etc. But the thing is, you cant just learn music theory. The best guitarists in the world are still learning things all the time. Its a process that you will eventually go through. A way of learning theory is to try to understand why those chords fit together and sound nice, why that riff works together, etc. So just learn theory as it comes your way, cause there is so much out there, and trying to learn tons of stuff in a day doesnt work.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help