Page 1 of 3
Hey guys,
I really enjoy reading the stuff posted in this forum so I thought I´m gonna
post something I´ve been thinking about (and saving for) a while now.

I´m a sound freak and I wanna recreate that bone crushing Modern/Nu Metal
Sound that u can hear on many Albums nowadays but I want to be able
to have that sound on a stage. So this is my Rig-idea and future rig of this
year:

Amps:
Diezel Herbert
Mesa Dual Rectifier

Effects:
Furman Pl+
Korg DTR-1000
T.C. Electronics G-Major
BBE 362

Cabs:
Mesa Rectifier 4x12"

Guitars:
Ibanez Universe
Ibanez RG-7321 Custom

Pedalboard:
Diezel Columbus
Lehle Dual

I´m gonna use the Diezel for Clean and Solo stuff and both amps simultaneously
for my rhythm sound. The Diezel ist using the G-Major while the Recto is using
the Sonic Maximizer.

What do u think about that?
What should I change?
Any other amp suggestions?

THANX!!!

I play guitar in a ProgMetal/DeathMetal/SpeedMetal Band and I´m influenced by Bands like Dream Theater, Symphony X, Evergrey, Nevermore, Scar Symmetry, Lamb of God, Sikth, Opeth, Devildriver and Mnemic.

The picture shows (yeah it looks like shit, I know) how it could look like.
Attachments:
Jan Rig2 2007.JPG
You must be ****ing loaded!
A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a closed-minded moron.
I think you need to strip that down. You don't need that many toys.
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
You're a bald gopher with wings that lives in the countryside, working on a farm.

Quote by Bubban
Having sex in a pool full of jello? How strangely erotic. No, not just any sex, butts-*gets shot*

God bless the underdog and God bless the antihero.
might like a t.c.electronic g system too. hear they're good, or so vai says.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by wingedgopher
I think you need to strip that down. You don't need that many toys.

Says who? I think he could use more. Where's the wah, man? Volume pedal? You may want to think about that stuff.

Why do you want the RG7321? It's the low-end of the RG 7-strings..do you just want the fixed bridge? If so, then by all means.

If you want bone-crushing nu-metal distortion, then I suppose you're looking at the right amps. Also check out VHT (I don't know the exact head models, sorry) and possibly Randall.

Although, if you want a more "natural" distortion—but still loaded with gain—then check out Laney. The GH and VH heads would probably suit you the best.

Hey guys! I just started playing electric guitar should I get a Gabson Lay Pall or a Femdor Startokaster. I like the picks on the gabsons but i like how sweet femdors look. Beforre i get a gabson what company makes them?
I didn´t post this to show off...just so everyone knows.
Just want your opinion.

So please be more precise. Strip it down how? Too much of what?

I´ll defenitely get one of those Herberts. It´s the best amp I´ve tried
in my life. Nothing sounds that good. But I also really like the Mesa sound.
that sounds like a killer combo. dont know much about the rack gear so im no help but those amps alone are so sweet.
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
Quote by ChurchNSkate
Where's the wah, man? Volume pedal? You may want to think about that stuff.

Why do you want the RG7321? It's the low-end of the RG 7-strings..do you just want the fixed bridge? If so, then by all means.

The only Wah which I like is the Bad Horsie 2. But I don´t use Wah Pedals that much. But yes, maybe an ErnieBall Volume Pedal. Not sure yet...

And you´re totally right about the RG7321. I only bought that because of the fixed brigde. But I changed the Ibanez (that´s one bad bridge) bridge into an ABM fixed bridge, the mechanics to Schaller and the Pickups to EMG 707 (neck) and EMG 81-7 (bridge). Now it´s a really nice guitar.
Why would you want two Extreme gain amps? Wouldnt it make sense to have one High gain amp and maybe a Fender bassman for cleans? Tho thats my opinion..
Well, the whole idea of that amp setup is to have two High-Gain amps working together. Like having a Vetta but with real amps. I use clean sounds for just two or three amps and the Herbert has got a really nice sounding clean channel with lots and lots of Headroom, thanks to 180 Watt...
its like a girl coming on here saying should should she get breast implants and helpfully providing lots of pictures!

its like, yeah dude def! if ya have the money.
Dude, I was just asking if somebody got a better idea? Like different amps?
If u disapprove with my post, k. But don´t talk like we´re in kindergarden.
Stick to the topic...
Last edited by PerfectSymmetry at Jan 27, 2007,
hmm...

why not look at some other amps too TS...
like a Bogner, Engl, Rivera, Ampeg, Genz Benz...
you must now know where I'm getting at...
just take a sneaky peaky at those... they might be worth a look...
for the money you are willing to spend you can get nearly any amp you want. if you haven't tried out or listened to bogner, engl, framus, other mesa, bruno, splawn, vht, and tons of other amps you should probably do so before making a purchase. all the amps are great but are pretty unique so it just comes down to your tone preference. its gunna be hard for anyone to criticize you for picking the amps you liked best especially after you researched and experimented with many others.
Gibson SG Special
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head

It´s hard to find Genz Benz Amps in Europe...but I´ll try a Bogner Uberschall this week.
Has anybody compared Engl and Mesa amps?
PS: I´m just aksing because I really liked the sound of the last Nevermore Album and from what I´ve heard Loomis and Smyth used a Dual Recto Rack and a Krankenstein on that.
The ubershall on a minimal setting sounds like a maxed out dual rec.
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
im getting the C-1 Hellraiser Baritone and replacing the EMG 81 with my Zakk Wylde EMG 81

****in great dude
i think the krank amps are pretty terrible for the price. genz benz makes nice amps but i found the el diablo i played to be pretty noisy. it just kept hissing even at low volumes. still it soudned great thru the gflex cab.

there are lots of good engl clips online. also some guys at harmony central have reviews on engl's. in some cases they write about all the ones they've played and rank them based on features, tones, versatility, etc.
Gibson SG Special
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head

looks pretty damn good
Ibanez VBT700 V-Blade
Ibanez RG220B
Dean Vendetta 1.0
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech XMM Metal Master
Digitech RP80 Multi Effects
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Quote by joining_heads
The ubershall on a minimal setting sounds like a maxed out dual rec.

Is that a good or a bad thing in your opinion? I´ve not tried the Uberschall so far so I´m not quite sure what it sounds like...
I dont like Dual Recs w/out a boost.. To loose for my likes. However, the Ubershall..mmmmm
One of the best ive ever played. I live close to a really stellar guitar shop and they are a bogner, matchless, bad cat, etc dealer. The ubershall is my favorite amp they carry. I will own one eventually
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
im getting the C-1 Hellraiser Baritone and replacing the EMG 81 with my Zakk Wylde EMG 81

****in great dude
From what I've heard, the Uberschall is basically a freaking insane gain monster that will rip your head off. And the cleans suck. If you're going with a two-amp rig, the Uber would probably be good along with, say, a fender for cleans, or maybe a Herbert still, but that seems kind of excessive to me...
Herbert is a stunning amp, really beats a dual and the uber, everything is voiced perfectly and it doesnt lack anything and can sound like anything.

i also hear meshuggah now use Vetta II heads!! well at least the endorsement, crazy!
You'll probably want another cab as well if you want both heads running at once, as well as an AB/Y (i think that's the right one..) box.
engl amps are great amps.

The engl powerball is good for d tuned guitars. it is heavey and has a lot of gain, but it is bright sound compared to a mesa boogie. try the framus diabol
go cowboys
i'd stay as far away from kranks as possible. I wouldnt read alot of that endorsement stuff cause it seems alot of artists that use krank actually just have the head on stage, and put their real amp backstage. Also bad ethics, and the sound, compared to what peavey, and engl and pretty much every other company are offering for half the pirice is way better. Also I'll vouch for engl. Great heavy tone, and I prefer them to Mesa ass I find the bass on the rectifierss a bit overbearing, and they have really good mids.
Quote by leafpro
engl amps are great amps.

The engl powerball is good for d tuned guitars. it is heavey and has a lot of gain, but it is bright sound compared to a mesa boogie. try the framus diabol
I don't know about the diabol, but definitely try out Framus' Dragon and Cobra.
Quote by codybcool
You'll probably want another cab as well if you want both heads running at once, as well as an AB/Y (i think that's the right one..) box.

The Lehle Dual is an AB/Y box:

"The Lehle Dual enables you to switch via gold-plated relays between two amps or run your signal to both of them. A is electrically isolated from B by means of the High End Transformer Lehle LTHZ, so humming loops are impossible, even if A and B are switched on simultaneously. During this dual mode you can reduce gain with trim-pots for output A or B separately. The result will be a third, previously unheard sound."
sorry

I meant he should test either the Dragon or the cobra.
go cowboys
Quote by davedoom
Herbert is a stunning amp, really beats a dual and the uber, everything is voiced perfectly and it doesnt lack anything and can sound like anything.

i also hear meshuggah now use Vetta II heads!! well at least the endorsement, crazy!

Well, I own a Line6 Vetta head (with the Vetta II software) and these things are
pretty versatile. There´s so much u can do with them. But it takes hours and hours
of tweaking knobs and programming until u get a really good sound.
And sometimes u just need to make immediate changes. And that´s also why I´d always prefer a "simple" tube amp. The Vetta is a computer that needs proper programming. I´ve always used it as my backline in case my tube amp dies live on stage.
BTW, these are the amps I´ve owned and used so far: Peavey 5150 (lacks depth/bass imo), Carvin Legacy (great clean sound but the Distortion channel is not made for Metal), Marshall JCM800 (great old-school Metal sound but not good for the new modern Metal voicings), Mesa Triaxis/2:90 (quite good combination, but I prefer the sound of heads, believe me it´s different), Mesa Triple Recto (3 Channel Version, my current amp).

So, since I´ll defenitely get a Herbert I´d either sell my Recto or keep it. But that´s the question. Is there something better than the Recto out there...at least to work together with ther Herbert.

What about the old 2Channel Rectos? Or the Recto Rack version. I heard that they´d sound better than the new 3Channels, but I never played one. And the 2Channel Version from 1992 is supposed to be the best...???

Any opinions on Mesa MKIIC+ ?
For a clean channel, I'd recomend one of these, if you can find it

http://www.andrewsamplab.com/Amp%20Photo%20Gallery/traynor_yba3a.htm
Guitars
MIM Fender Telecaster
Art & Lutherie Cedar
1969 EKO Ranchero
G&L Tribute L2500

Amps
Traynor YCV40WR
Yorkville BM400H
Peavey TVX 4x10

Effects
Behringer DSP1000
Dunlop GCB95 Wah
Digitech HotRod
BBE Sonic Stomp
Last edited by Apok at Jan 28, 2007,
I think that set-up would pwn for a Modern/Nu-Metal sound. If you do look at Engl amps I would not reccomend that Powerball for that sort of sound it'll be better to check out the Richie Blackmore, Savage 120 or InVader heads for Modern rock.

You should also think about picking up the best noise gate around ISP Decimator Pro Rack G.
Gear:
Guitars: BC Rich.
Amps: Diezel, Engl & Peavey.
Cabinets: Bogner & Diezel.
Miscellaneous: ISP Decimator Pro Rack G.
Page 1 of 3