I really Need a ALL-TUBE COMBO Amplifier with high quality distortion, Low noise level. The characteristics of the distortion I'm looking for are VERY close to Randy Rhoads' tone on His tribute album specifically Suicide Solution Live. The tone is creamy on the top end(with hammer ons) & mids with the mids having some crunch if picked and the bass being slighty crunch and "Hollowed out a bit". Currently i have a Vox AD30 Vt modelling amp and am unsatisfied with the tone. I also have a MXR ten band EQ and Boss Metal Zone pedal. My Price range is $100-$700 CAD absolutley no more that $1000. Please don't reccomend a solid state amp, i can not get the sound i'm looking for with that type of amp. I will be playing at home and in band situations so I will need 30-50W of power no more than 50W cause i don't want to kill my cats. The CLEANS need to be nice and warm but i'm not to picky; the distortion is much, much more important. I have a custom built guitar with EMG-81 bridge pickup and a Jackson SL3 soloist(2005 model) with Seymour Duncans. PLEASE reccomend me and amp! If you need anything from me( a crit or whatever only if you help) then PM me with a link and i'll respond. Thanks so much UG!

UG

Quote by rooster456
Guitars will bring girlfriends. Girlfriends won't bring guitars.

Because footstools are cool UG's Classical Guitarists
pm Marmoseti or Confusius to join
Last edited by Csquared1001 at Jan 27, 2007,
For the reccord, you have a Vox aD30. If you had an aC30, you'd marry it and make love to it every night.

I'd say, take a look at Epi's.
A Marshall of some sort, Im not sure a CAD tho. so i wouldnt know the prices.. A Jcm 800 would be identical to Randy so..
Fender Blues reissue, Hot Rod, Peavey 30, used JCM of some sort, if you can find it.
Does the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe have a master volume?
Quote by rooster456

Quote by Csquared1001
Does the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe have a master volume?

Yes, but the Hot Rod, and Fender in general, is more for people who put cleans first.

The Marshall/Traynor Blue suggestions better fit your bill. Maybe a Mesa F series, too.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Would a Traynor YCV be a high gain tube amp?

/sorry for hijacking thread
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
brad you smell like my hairy left nut

Well, not exactly high gain, more classic marshall gain from that Traynor. Good tones though.

B-52 AT212
Peavey Windsor (I've heard very solid reviews, JCM800-like)

Both are more than 30w (the Peavey is something like 120w!!!) but that's not a bad thing, both can get good tones at low volumes.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
okay...good suggestions all, but a bit high on the wattage side compared to what TS wants.

btw, TS, please don't bold/enlarge only certain sections of text, it's really annoying.

here's a very good choice, for what you want: good distortion, decent cleans.

Genz Benz 60/30 (switchable wattage) El Diablo combo.

i can't believe nobody's suggested this yet.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Btw, I don't spell it doughnut, because that spells duff-nut.
Quote by aequitasveritas
okay...good suggestions all, but a bit high on the wattage side compared to what TS wants.

btw, TS, please don't bold/enlarge only certain sections of text, it's really annoying.

here's a very good choice, for what you want: good distortion, decent cleans.

Genz Benz 60/30 (switchable wattage) El Diablo combo.

i can't believe nobody's suggested this yet.

$CAD, not US. Genz Benz is out of price range. Unless he wants to go used...
My Gear:
-Schecter C-1 Plus (Vintage Sunburst)
-B-52 AT-212 Tube Combo
-ZW-44 Zakk Wylde Overdrive
-Digitech RP350 Multi-Effects Pedal
-Hamer Slammer Strat Copy
Oh, I just remembered, Randall makes these (tube) amps, and I think they're really low wattage, like 20 (or maybe 40). Anyway, it's the MTS series, and you can swap out preamp modules for different things. The rackmount holds four modules, the head holds 3, combo 2, and I think the really small combos are like 1. There are like 15 modules and you can get Recto, Blackface, XTC modules and the like for it; extreme versatility! I'm not entirely certain on price, but the heads are $1k new without modules (which are $200 each); it might be out of your range.
Yeah i'm gonna look at the Fender Hot rod Deluxe, Peavy, Epiphone etc. when i go to the GC.
Quote by rooster456

The Fender Hot Rod Deluxe would not be the amp for you. It has really nice cleans, but the OD is mediocre, to me. I think a Traynor YVC50BLUE is a good suggestion, with an OD pedal, possibly. I'm not sure how much it costs in Canadian dollors, but they are made in Canada, so you should be able to afford it. If not that, maybe a used JCM800 if you can afford that.

Now, does anyone else see the irony in this post?

Quote by aequitasveritas

here's a very good choice
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
An Orange AD30TC - you'd have to get a used one but they have the best cleans and brit crunch you'll ever hear.
My Gear :
Fender American Strat in Metallic Red
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Fender 15 Watt Amp (Upgrade soon to a Marshall )
Red Furry guitar strap

John Frusciante - The Greatest Guitarist EVER
How much do they charge for the Orange Rocker 30 Combo around your way? You should consider them.

They're sexy
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
peavey valveking ...
ashdown fallen angel?
Rig:
-Jackson Soloist: SL2HT (On its way to Canada)
-Epiphone Les Paul Gothic w/ SD JB (Process of Modding)
-Art & Lutherie Spruce CW
-Dunlop Crybaby (Process of Modding)

For Sale
-Peavey Valveking 112
pm me for info
i'm leaning towards a used Marshall DSL401 All-valve 40W Amp. I think i could probaly get the sound i need but i was wondering what you guys think. (it's the only amp with enough gain mentioned so far)
Quote by rooster456

Quote by korinaflyingv
I thought Randy used an mxr distortion + over a clean marshall... or am I completely wrong?

nope he used a crank tube amp(super lead) and clean boosted his MXR to give even more distortion
Quote by rooster456

Quote by Csquared1001
i'm leaning towards a used Marshall DSL401 All-valve 40W Amp. I think i could probaly get the sound i need but i was wondering what you guys think. (it's the only amp with enough gain mentioned so far)

That's a good amp. You'll more than likely be happy with it.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
i read on guitar geek randy used a Marshall JMP with a bunch of MXR pedals including the distortion plus

A Marshall DSL401 would probably be a great choice though.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix
Quote by Csquared1001

Genz Benz el Diablo has more gain, but its a tad (just a tad) outside your price range. Save up some more and get the 60watter, it's worth it. i played one for just a little while at the store the other day, and it was very, very good.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Btw, I don't spell it doughnut, because that spells duff-nut.
Mesa F-30, I own the F-50 and love it.
Member #4 of the iPods Suck Balls Club.
PM Oblivious16037 to join!

Quote by basssoldier
when i was 7 i saw my mom naked while taking a sh** it was pretty sick cuz shes fat....

Quote by Soul Power
Your my hero dementedpuppy.

Last.fm
POOP
Quote by Csquared1001
Yeah i'm gonna look at the Fender Hot rod Deluxe, Peavy, Epiphone etc. when i go to the GC.

There is no GC in Canada. Is there?
Gear
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Godin SD
Boss DD-20
crate just came out with a 30W tube amp. i would check it out.
i would suggest something more expensive but i know that prices are much higher in canada.

also, ull get more out of ur AD30 if u swap out that speaker.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by korinaflyingv
I thought Randy used an mxr distortion + over a clean marshall... or am I completely wrong?

yes you are wrong. randy played a CRANKED plexi through a mixing board that had some kind of distortion pedal, not sure what kind. but his setup has so much hiss and feedback. they had to gate his setup after recording everything.
1993 Jackson Dinky Professional XL (shred)
Modified Squier Strat (blues and anything)
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Dunlop Original Crybaby GCB-95
Quote by OverTheHills
There is no GC in Canada. Is there?

GC=Guitar Center. theres like 10 in edmonton
Quote by rooster456

Yeah, I'm really leaning toward that Marshall DSL401 Now. Seems like a good deal
Quote by rooster456

Quote by Csquared1001

There are no Guitar Centers in Canada. Unless you're talking about Long and Mcquade or Axemusic..
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix
Quote by Csquared1001
Yeah, I'm really leaning toward that Marshall DSL401 Now. Seems like a good deal

no. check out what I posted up there. buy that.
Quote by Csquared1001

Ya I know what GC means, I just didn't think they had them here in Canada.
Gear
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Godin SD
Boss DD-20
Quote by metal Lover
no. check out what I posted up there. buy that.

dude that things unreliable and i don't get to try it out or return it. If i buy it i'll get ****ed big time. I appreciate you taking the time to reccomend me things though even if
it is yours lol
Quote by rooster456

Quote by mw7
There are no Guitar Centers in Canada. Unless you're talking about Long and Mcquade or Axemusic..

or avenue guitars, or mothers music, well not so much mothers music but avenue guitars for sure.
Quote by rooster456

Crate V-Series 3112
Peavey Classic 30
Traynor Blue 50
Marshall of course (if you can afford it)
I wouldn't go with a mesa f-series. I owned the f-50 - it was an amazing amp but isn't what you're looking for in the distortion department. It's way too dark for your tastes.
Quote by De Amazing Blob
Oh, I just remembered, Randall makes these (tube) amps, and I think they're really low wattage, like 20 (or maybe 40). Anyway, it's the MTS series, and you can swap out preamp modules for different things. The rackmount holds four modules, the head holds 3, combo 2, and I think the really small combos are like 1. There are like 15 modules and you can get Recto, Blackface, XTC modules and the like for it; extreme versatility! I'm not entirely certain on price, but the heads are $1k new without modules (which are $200 each); it might be out of your range.

Randall RM4 preamp chassis, 4 modules max. ~600 USD for rack chassis and 200 per module.
i have yet to hear much about it but i really like the idea of it. if i had enough money to spend on just a PReamp.
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R