Poll: Which one?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which one?
Gibson Explorer
28 47%
Fender Stratocaster
32 53%
Voters: 60.
I'm torn between these two guitars, my band has a lot of Foo Fighters/Green Day/Blink/Beatles/The Who influence (we're all over the place).

Which of these guitars do you think I should get?

Adam
Quote by thesublime
duarte, you're a jerk.

Quote by Ollie Led Zep
Hmm...a fugly, bimbo, blonde, rich, boring, mooching, waste of blood and organs, d*ck munching, talentless, sponging c*nt in prison?

One down...
i say f#%k fender, its all on the name, even compared to gibson. gibsons are much nicer, and i know from experience, ive played many gibsons and fenders, no contest between the two. gibson FTW.
Quote by Hpda5121
im not a racist because racism is a crime, and crime is for black people

fender mexican fat strat (discontinued)
mesa triple recto
digitech grunge
digitech death metal
They're very different guitars but at least with a Strat you're not losing your shirt for a ****ing logo on the headstock. You get a wider range of tones and a tremolo too.
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
You're a bald gopher with wings that lives in the countryside, working on a farm.

Quote by Bubban
Having sex in a pool full of jello? How strangely erotic. No, not just any sex, butts-*gets shot*

God bless the underdog and God bless the antihero.
Strat, no question at all go for the Strat
Quote by McClean05
Sweep picking if i could actually get faster at it. But overall . . everything. Every technique in guitar playing is worth learning or playing. Nice thread by the way
Strat
Epiphone les paul custom
Epiphone les paul 56' reissue goldtop
Custom Telecaster
Boss ME-50
Digitech flanger
Digitech Hot Head
Marshall MG100DFX

Unmarked P-bass
Johnson J-style
Aria STB jazzbass
Fender Rumble 100
Get the Strat. You won't break the bank for a nice Fender, where as you would have to pay at least $2,000 for a Gibson that sounds and looks nice. Get a nice HSS (Fat) Strat if you want an extremely versatile guitar.
My Gear:
American Deluxe HSS Strat
Crate GT212
Vintage '66 Fender Champ Amp
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Jekyll & Hyde Ultimate Overdrive
Vintage '74 MXR Script Phase 90
Vintage '77 MXR Flanger
Orange Squeezer (clone)
I like the explorer shape more than the strat shape, mahogany better than alder, set necks more than bolt on, and humbuckers more than single coils(on the other hand you can get a HSS strat)

I would take the explorer over the strat, but for you I would probably recommend a Fender fat strat.

Snap just now I found a Mahogany american fat strat on musicians friend. I'd probably take that.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-American-Special-Mahogany-HSS-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=511165
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix
Last edited by mw7 at Jan 27, 2007,
Personally, I'd take an Explorer over a Fender Strat any day... but for your type of music, I will admit that the Strat will probably be better.
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
the price difference between a MIA strat and an explorer is not at all what you guys are making it out to be...

MIA HSS Strat - $975-$1250

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitar/navigation?q=american+HSS+strat

Explorer - $1050-$1170

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Explorer-Electric-Guitar?sku=517320

Id go with an explorer, personally, but its not my decision so try them out and see which one feels and sounds better to you. youre the one whose going to be playing it, and whats good to us may not be good to you.
Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
I wanna say Explorer....

But for your influences, I say go for the Strat.

And to all you name brand-biasing douchebags, shut up!!
punk rocker, you couldn't be more wrong....I'll leave it at the fact that fender is one of the most worthy of the money name brands....Even though I think gibson is overpriced, that is not part of my argument.

anyways, to TS, I'd say you need to decide whether you want humbuckers and a unique shape, or single coils with the classic shape.

do you have any other guitars??
Quote by thundrstruk891
do EXACTLY what rock savior said.

EXACTLY.

Quote by SGKIDD
^^ X2,00,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

To me

Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club. PM greendayguitar or blues_rocker to join.
^ from the fenders ive tried, i havent liked one of them... maybe just not my syle
Quote by Hpda5121

mesa triple recto
digitech grunge
digitech death metal
Quote by punk_rocker101
i say f#%k fender, its all on the name, even compared to gibson. gibsons are much nicer, and i know from experience, ive played many gibsons and fenders, no contest between the two. gibson FTW.

Do you just not like the Fender sound? Because I've played some shitty Gibsons but I've yet to play a shitty Fender. Based on my experiences and the opinions of others I'd say that Gibson's quality control is not as good as Fender's and to get a nice Gibson you have to pay more than you would pay to get a nice Fender. (and that's coming from someone who owns a Gibson)

Edit:
Quote by punk_rocker101
^ from the fenders ive tried, i havent liked one of them... maybe just not my syle
you should probably mention that before proclaiming that Gibson's are much nicer than Fenders
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Last edited by yeahyeah at Jan 27, 2007,
Quote by punk_rocker101
i say f#%k fender, its all on the name.

Look up "Irony" in the dictionary, buddy.

Besides, you can have a Strat for hundreds, if not thousand(s) of dollars less than a Gibson.
^^ dude, chill out, i think i put IMO after what i said, and if i didnt, IMO!!!1 i just dont like fender.
Quote by Hpda5121

mesa triple recto
digitech grunge
digitech death metal
i think gibsons are just on a higher level. (that is if you play it first to make sure the paint isnt runny, or the neck is un even and shit )
but to me, fenders just feel like low end crap when compared to gibsons.
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
Quote by Pacifica112J
Look up "Irony" in the dictionary, buddy.

Besides, you can have a Strat for hundreds, if not thousand(s) of dollars less than a Gibson.

I somehow doubt that any guitar that is "thousands" of dollars less than another is of equal quality. Possibly hundreds but never thousands.
Quote by punk_rocker101
^^ dude, chill out, i think i put IMO after what i said, and if i didnt, IMO!!!1 i just dont like fender.

Chill? I'm not uncalm.

Anyways, I think we can agree to disagree.

I think a $400 MIM Strat would serve him perfectly.
Quote by Pacifica112J
Chill? I'm not uncalm.

Anyways, I think we can agree to disagree.

I think a $400 MIM Strat would serve him perfectly.

i think an Epiphone explorer would do him well too.
Epi and Fender are close in terms of price, but gibsons are just a whole other level.
and plus the epi is just as good with new pickups. especially for the price
epi>gibson!
(in some cases, dont kill me)
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
dude what the **** is your avatar? It seriously pisses me off when i see it.
-Jimi Hendrix
Quote by danzig-_-
i think an Epiphone explorer would do him well too.
Epi and Fender are close in terms of price, but gibsons are just a whole other level.
and plus the epi is just as good with new pickups. especially for the price
epi>gibson!
(in some cases, dont kill me)

Well, I thought we were talking about Gibsons exclusively. If an Epi Explorer was one of his choices, I'd recommend it to him over the Strat. Especially a Korina one.
I already have one guitar, an Ibanez ExSeries, but it doesn't fit my type of music very well.

I think I might go with a Strat, and get an explorer when I have a lot of spare cash (probably post-college).
Quote by thesublime
duarte, you're a jerk.

Quote by Ollie Led Zep
Hmm...a fugly, bimbo, blonde, rich, boring, mooching, waste of blood and organs, d*ck munching, talentless, sponging c*nt in prison?

One down...
yeah, im not sure if the TS has his mind set on only gibson, he should check out epiphone, MUCH cheaper.

and my avatar rules, shut up hoe!
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
I vote for the Fat Strat, too.

If you try out the Explorer, ask for a strap so you can see how it feels standing up. I found that it hung rather uncomfortably, like I had to hold the neck up to play.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
^ It makes my mind wander to places where I want it not to...

EDIT: Yeah, your avatar gives the the chills...

EDIT2:

Quote by slatsmania
I vote for the Fat Strat, too.

If you try out the Explorer, ask for a strap so you can see how it feels standing up. I found that it hung rather uncomfortably, like I had to hold the neck up to play.

That is only with the Epi's. The Gibsons are perfectly balanced at any angle, it's sweet. The Epiphone has the strap button at a different place, but it can be moved.
Last edited by ExplorerFreak at Jan 27, 2007,
Quote by danzig-_-
and my avatar rules, shut up hoe!

Your avatar sucks, you horny slut
-Jimi Hendrix
Quote by mw7
you horny slut

mmm hmm i am.
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
Quote by danzig-_-
mmm hmm i am.

-Jimi Hendrix
Quote by ShutDown785
Get the Strat. You won't break the bank for a nice Fender, where as you would have to pay at least $2,000 for a Gibson that sounds and looks nice. Get a nice HSS (Fat) Strat if you want an extremely versatile guitar.

+1
Go for the strat for versitility but make sure you get some noiseless pick ups if you can, single coils tend to hum. If you have the cash now ask for noiseless or get the strat and save up some cash to make the change later.

Bout the HSS strat; super awesome guitar, very versitile as mentioned.

Yeah, I have to do that with my Jackson Kelly. You get used to it, though... Most Kelly/Explorer players have the thing slung low and almost horizontal. (Check how James Hetfield plays it.)

In any case, Gibson Explorer and Fender strat are very different guitars... For the style of music you play, a Fender might suit you better. But personally I'd always get a guitar with humbuckers.
Jackson JS30KE
Roland Cube 30