sorry for posting another thread so soon, but i have a question

what the hell is midi? i've heard a lot about it but i have no idea what it is

i have a midi interface [tascam us-122l] and the program, gigastudio [that isn't working, ATM, if you read my other thread] and so what can i do with those??

thanks VERY much, any advice is greatly appreciated
Quote by Inahrima

Kirk: you know what would be hardcore?
James: what?
Kirk: metallica nail polish!
James:

Quote by grimreaper65

'Scuse me, i'm going to go listen to some black metal bands sing about black people. Then some grindcore about coffee.
Firstly, I will say I know nothing about the gear/programs you are using.

Secondly, MIDI is a musical language. Ever hear a crappy cheap jingle? They are usually created with MIDI. The most important thing to remember is... MIDI itself is not music. MIDI in actual fact is a series of data pieces telling a machine what note to play, how hard, for how long, and on what channel (Keyboards today pretty much come standard with 16 channels each).

MIDI was unveiled (from my knowledge) at NAMM '83 as a way to expend the capabilities of all synthesizers by making them able to communicate with one another. In this way, you can be playing one keyboard and have no sound coming out of that, but at the same time sound swells from any other number of keyboards in the room (dependant upon the capabilities of hardware).

However, now MIDI has evolved in to so much more. Keyboards have the ability to make decent emulations of just about any instrument you can think of. Also, when you record a piece of music with MIDI, seeing as all of the information behind the music is data, you can use programs to instantly transpose the key of a song, duplicate a track and have it play the same thing on a completely different instrument, or even correct mistakes easily by using simple editors to make an individual note longer, shorter, played louder, up or down in pitch. Basically, MIDI can be utilised as far as the individuals knowledge of music.

Of course, there are downsides. One being that you will never be able to recreate to a tee any instument, because there are many subtleties experienced only within each instrument that are just naturally occuring things (like the hi-hat on a drum kit accidentally opening/closing just a little bit, or a slides, natural vibrato, and random pich harmonics on guitar). There is also thefactthat different brands have different sounds at different locations, so if you wire a MIDI sequence to a Yamaha and a Roland keyboard at the same time, it might come out with a flute on one keyboard and a honky tonk piano on the other (such things are to be figured out on an individual basis).

I hope that gives you some idea ofwhat MIDI is.
that helped a lot

does anyone know if i can use gigastudio to actually get a drumset without any actual midi device?
Quote by Inahrima

James:

Quote by grimreaper65

'Scuse me, i'm going to go listen to some black metal bands sing about black people. Then some grindcore about coffee.
I don't know for sure, but just about every program with MIDI capability that I've seen has their own editing capabilities. Basically, even if you don't have one of the flash MIDI drum patches installed, there is still a standard MIDI set on most computers. It will usethat, and there will be some window you can open to program the drums.

Once you have that window open, it's a matter of inserting the beats with the correct 'tool', and moving them about until it plays what you want. Something like what you've got should probably have at least some basic loops already, so you can at least play to something.

From what I've read on the program, you have something quite advanced. For starters, it is a sampling program, which means youcan find beats you like on existing music and create your own bank of custom loops and beats. It is also useable for sampling any instrument you wish. It seems like you can do things with a guitar, like sampling down and up strokes and have them able to be used at your discretion (most MIDI guitar patches are just one sound for each note, so riffs can sound pretty dodgy).

You may have like the basic crappy version of the program that they threw in with the interface, but it will still probably do what you want it to do. There should at least be a few drum patches available to you.

Hope that is relevant to you.
thanks, that helps, too

does anyone know if i can buy like...an expansion pack program, if you will, for like...a drum module? if that makes any sense...
Quote by Inahrima

James:

Quote by grimreaper65