How many people use and why? What would "pros" use? 3 per string or normal?
Quote by Johnljones7443
Shredding is having control over your instrument and being free of technical obstacles so your music is not limited by your playing ability.

Quote by Aidy Damage
Classical Gas is when you fart and it smells like the inside of a violin. EVERYONE knows that. n00bs...
Learn to use the entire fretboard. That involves knowing where notes are and somewhat abandoning box shapes.

That's not to say that your little blues licks in box shapes are bad, just learn how to play stuff elsewhere as well.
Yeah i use it occasionally.... Its an extremely wide shape. Some pro's would, it depends on what they are playing i guess...
Frank Zappa's not dead. He just smells funny.
If you tune in fifths (fripp new standard) you end up using these to sound coherent

even in standard though, wide stretches and string skips is still a largely unexplored technique
Yeah, it all depends on what you're playing. Your solo may call for a certain box shape of the pentatonic, but depending on the notes you're playing going up the fretboard on one string may be the logical thing to do.
Seinfeld
The Gear:
Fender John Mayer Sig. Strat
Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 60
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez Tubescreamer
Damn right, I've got the blues.
It isn't neccessarely a set pattern or anything. Just play the notes. Play the first two notes of a "box", than instead of going up a string, play the next note on the same string, than go up a string and do the same thing.
Three notes per string scales lend themselves to economy picking, beginning with a downstroke, then up, then down and down again as you change string.
Basically, as a pro, it's best to do both. 2nps is very comfy and facilitates vibrato and bends, along with the fact that learning one or two positions is very easy to remember visually.

However, there's no question that 3nps integrates more easily with standard "shred" techniques, which often rely on predictable picking patterns. Basically, like any fingering system, each also makes different sequences easier, harder, makes certain techniques harder, and makes traversing the fretboard horizontally easier or hard.