I know there are a million posts on this so I though one more wouldnt hurt ......But yeah I have a Vox AD50VT as my main amp but i feel like im missing out on the warmer tones of a full tube amp and to make this easier ill put the questions numbered.

1. Should I get the combo or the head?I have enough for the head right now but id have to save for 2 months for a cab but i also have a old crate combo i can use for the cab.

2. If i get the head ill probally end up with a avatar cab. What speakers have you guys sound best with this amp i was thinking maybe v30 and g12h.

3. I play classic rock, blues, and funk type stuff im sure its fine for this stuff but im just making sure.

4. Should I change the tubes in there? or just leave them stock I was thinking of maybe putting some nos tubes in there any reccomendations?

Thats about it I think if I think of anything else Ill ask...I also have plenty of pedals to drive this thing so thats not a worry. Thanks for the help ahead of time!
GEAR:
Gibson Faded V (Dimarzio EVO(B) and GFS Hot Liverpool(N) coiltap in neck)
Squier Mahogany HSS Strat
Squier BSB tele
Bogner 2X12
Vox AD50VT
EPI VJ head
I have a variety of pedals PM if you have to know.

Looking for a new head!
well, you can wait for jenny but you could get the head, then hook it up to the speakers your vox is using, and I think you could switch them, or just use the crate but the speakers are probably worse.

It'll fit your styles fine, and I wouldn't change the tubes unless you dont like the tone...

I could explain it, but since jenny did it to her mg, she has pics and what not....plus shes the leader of the VJ cult so she may be able to talk you into it also lol...

anyways, dang nice amp, hands down...
Quote by thundrstruk891
do EXACTLY what rock savior said.

EXACTLY.

Quote by SGKIDD
^^ X2,00,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

To me

Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club. PM greendayguitar or blues_rocker to join.
Yea, another thread will hurt when right near your post is my HUGE thread on the Valve Junior. Not that hard to post in there. But anyway,

1. I would get the Head. And yes you can use the Crate as a cab. I did it, I sent out an attachment for someone else on here, etc...

2. For the Avatar, I would go for it. I got an Avatar 2x12 cab with the Hellatone 30/60s in it which are Celestion Vintage 30 and G12H30s. They sound great with the VJ in my opinion!

3. It should be very good for those styles.

4. Tube change is nice. Especially changing the powertube.
^ alright thanks for all the help and sorry for making this thread there was too much going on that one it seemed like
GEAR:
Gibson Faded V (Dimarzio EVO(B) and GFS Hot Liverpool(N) coiltap in neck)
Squier Mahogany HSS Strat
Squier BSB tele
Bogner 2X12
Vox AD50VT
EPI VJ head
I have a variety of pedals PM if you have to know.

Looking for a new head!
^while it's here, let me ask a couple of questions...

what type of crate combo do u have?

what type of pedals?

also, check out ^ his valve jr thread. it's got a bunch of mods and tube info.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Sounds good for what you want. It's not really very versatile at all though....

I have the combo. It's got a Weber 8" signature Ceramic speaker in, same is the Dr. Z small amp. It's a pretty good speaker, but you might want a head w/12s for added volume and bass (probably Greenbacks). Mine is plenty loud for bedroom practice.

The valves are okay. You could do better though. The whole amp is dead quiet.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
i'm not sure about v30's, i'd go for something more along the lines of greenbacks, I'd have said.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by MrCarrot
Sounds good for what you want. It's not really very versatile at all though....

I have the combo. It's got a Weber 8" signature Ceramic speaker in, same is the Dr. Z small amp. It's a pretty good speaker, but you might want a head w/12s for added volume and bass (probably Greenbacks). Mine is plenty loud for bedroom practice.

The valves are okay. You could do better though. The whole amp is dead quiet.

Excellent, I thought I was the only one with the combo!
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music