I was talking with somebody at school about theory and he mentioned something about 'synthetic modes'. I've never heard of them; what exactly are they?
Quote by cubedeathk

No my friends Dinosaurs walked this earth with Man.

I never heard the term before, but a synthetic scale is when you make up your own scale ("I've never heard of this scale, A C D F G, so I'll call it the BGC scale" is how you make scales), so I guess a synthetic mode is when you make modes based on synthetic scales.

I don't think it's an actual term, though
Synthetic modes are the modes derived from harmonic and melodic minor scales and several others.
Aha, so like church modes are only derived from the major scale, synthetic modes are from other scales... that makes sense.
The I have with these is that people say, "Oh cool, I can make my own scale up, and it will be used as much as the major scale some day". So, someone goes and simply tries to find a scale for the sake of having a 'new' scale, instead of realizing you need these certain notes for this function.

Basically, it's like creating a math formula and then trying to find out what it does.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
they are scales that do not naturally occur from the modes of the major scale and someone made them up. the blues scale is one of them.
Quote by jbonamassa99
they are scales that do not naturally occur from the modes of the major scale and someone made them up. the blues scale is one of them.

No.

The blues scale is just the minor pentatonic scale with an added "blue note", a diminished fifth.

It might be just me, but I don't really consider the minor pentatonic to be a scale anyway. I think of it as just a minor 11 arpeggio. Or a major 6 add 9 arpeggio for the major pentatonic.
Carpe diem; Seize the day.

Just be.

Scales are notes, not shapes, boxes, or patterns.
Quote by Freepower
^ it's still fun!

And i'm not entirely sure i understand what you mean when you say you need certain notes for "this function"...?

Certain harmonic movements, argpeggios and their functions, etc.

I agree it is fun, putting limitations on yourself is a good idea.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Quote by fendermalmsteen
It might be just me, but I don't really consider the minor pentatonic to be a scale anyway. I think of it as just a minor 11 arpeggio. Or a major 6 add 9 arpeggio for the major pentatonic.
That is foolish. It must certainly is a scale.
Quote by fendermalmsteen
No.

The blues scale is just the minor pentatonic scale with an added "blue note", a diminished fifth.

exaxtly the flat 5 doesnt occur naturally so the blues scale is a synthetic scale