I was wondering if anyone knew some good ways to practice 2 note per string alternate picking runs. I have a real hard time switching strings on these for some reason, and no matter how often I practice it slowly and try to build up it never gets any better.

Any advice on fixing this? I gotta get good at these if I am going to nail Gilbert's famous pentatonic licks.

*cheerleaders*

PENT-A-TON-IC LICKS! YEAH!
Run up and down the standard pentatonic box:

e----------------------5-8-
B------------------5-8-----
G-------------5-7----------
D---------5-7--------------
A-----5-7------------------
E-5-8----------------------
A lot of people suggest using a metronome and going up and down the scale. That's all well and good, but I think that's boring. The way I got better at was by jamming to my Red Hot Chili Peppers DVD. Just grab your guitar, download a blusey jam track in the key of Am, play the A minor Pentatonic scale/box over the rythmn up and down the scale. Not only is it in key, but it also improves how you sound by listening what your music sounds like in contrast with what your jamming too. Start slow, then work your speed up getting to each note and staying in time with that track. Every once in a while you can start throwing in pull-offs and hammer ons and bends. It takes a while to perfect, but you'll get it.
Run!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Simply, the world was too small for a man of his ambition.
Quote by ifeastonbums
GuitarSymphony you are my hero!
I'm not talking about jamming or anything, I am just talking about fast 2 note per string licks. When I alternate pick them, I always have problems hitting extra strings and what not, and since it hasn't gotten any better, I'm wondering what some good tricks are to practicing them.
Quote by CowboyUp
I'm not talking about jamming or anything, I am just talking about fast 2 note per string licks. When I alternate pick them, I always have problems hitting extra strings and what not, and since it hasn't gotten any better, I'm wondering what some good tricks are to practicing them.

Wait a minute...are you talking about double-stops?

Like this?

e --------------------|
b ---2h4------------|
g ---2h4------------|
D --------------------|
A --------------------|
E --------------------|
Run!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Simply, the world was too small for a man of his ambition.
Quote by ifeastonbums
GuitarSymphony you are my hero!

e----------------------5-8-
B------------------5-10-----
G-------------5-7----------
D---------5-10--------------
A-----5-7------------------
E-5-10----------------------

maybe try some zakk wylde style pentatonic runs but instead of using 3 notes use 2 and alternate ...also try it horizontal.
Wait a minute...are you talking about double-stops?

No no no, I am talking about fast ascending/descending patterns using 2 notes per string.
Quote by CowboyUp

Try some classic rock solos that mainly use pentatonic
Quote by krymson
I hope that we could get some real metal out there. I guess A7X a start...
But nu metal does have its moments like Slipknot Mushroomhead and Korn.

Quote by VR2005
...Scales are basically the most useless thing in jazz...

when i play fast runs i usually have my index finger across two strings so its easier to go to the next one. sometimes ill lean it back so i can go accross 3 depending on what i want to do. i find it slows me down if i take my index off the strings all the time and switch. my ways usfull if you dont just go straight up and down and like to repeat parts over before moving. if you already do this, the you just need more practice time.
Work out and practice the picking pattern before you add the fingering into the equation.