So I'm shopping around and I decided I want to get an extra pack of strings to have around. I want 9's to keep what I have on my guitar the same but I looked at Ernie Ball strings and these say they are gauges 9-11-16-24w-32-42. What does that 'w' mean? I think it stands for wide but I'm not sure because other sets of strings with the same gauges do not say w after the 24, thus my confusion.
A guitar is your personality expressed through 6 strings.
w=wound
LSD

"Member #5 of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Pot Smokers Association. PM AK Guitarist to join."
I have the exact same set of strings on my Les Paul right now, and I have no idea why there's a W on it. The package itself doesn't have the W on it either.
Ibanez Xiphos XPT700
Laney VH100R
Epi Les Paul (SH-1 '59 neck, SH-11 custom custom bridge)
Do they make D strings that aren't wound?

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
Do they make D strings that aren't wound?

I'm not really sure but I've seen sets with wound G-strings (lawl).
LSD

"Member #5 of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Pot Smokers Association. PM AK Guitarist to join."
The w means wound, and is usually only mentioned to avoid confusion. My .70 low E string is most obviously wound, a 20/22/24 is less obvious.
Quote by ak Gitaroo Man
I'm not really sure but I've seen sets with wound G-strings (lawl).

What's so funny about that, my G is wound. ^.^
Ok, why do they mention that when no other sets of theirs state that except for some sets that have that in the title or say they are "Hybrid Sets?"
A guitar is your personality expressed through 6 strings.
The W stands for wicked, for when you wanna play a wicked lead, go to your W
string. or when you just wanna play something wimpy, just go to your W string now
see how easy that is.Or when you wanna ask Why? thats it , go to your W string!
Quote by chaoticgeek
Ok, why do they mention that when no other sets of theirs state that except for some sets that have that in the title or say they are "Hybrid Sets?"

Firstly W = Wound. Small string gauges can't be wound, so they're solid string only.

There are some gauges which are in between. A string like a .24 in one set may be wound, however in another sized set it may not.

Hybrid sets are a combination of two sets. The unwound strings will be of a certain set and the wound will be of another.

IE, "Skinny Top, Heavy Bottom" are the unwound (higher, GBe) strings from a set of .010s, whereas the bottom (EAD) are from a set of .011 or .012.