Page 1 of 4
This thread is to talk about the down fall of the guitar and the guitarist in this world. By this i mean such things as people who "play" (if thats what they call it) to just look cool or seem cool. Sometimes when i hear some people play i am ashamed to be a guitarist. But then i remeber its what i love and i go home and play my guitar until i sleep. I really think something needs to be done. Its as if music with guitar in it with the sounds of hendrix and zeppelin have been pushed to the back of society, and its too the point now that you dont even need to play an instrument to be a good band. Speak more about this type of thing and try to keep this a calm thread dont be making fun of other people too muuch please.
Quote by hendrixrocks4
This thread is to talk about the down fall of the guitar and the guitarist in this world. By this i mean such things as people who "play" (if thats what they call it) to just look cool or seem cool. Sometimes when i hear some people play i am ashamed to be a guitarist. But then i remeber its what i love and i go home and play my guitar until i sleep. I really think something needs to be done. Its as if music with guitar in it with the sounds of hendrix and zeppelin have been pushed to the back of society, and its too the point now that you dont even need to play an instrument to be a good band. Speak more about this type of thing and try to keep this a calm thread dont be making fun of other people too muuch please.

Good luck with that.
Quote by hendrixrocks4

I wouldn't say that's the case at all. I think playing guitar has always been a fad for teenagers ever since rock became popular. I don't really think we're on the verge of anything new, just different styles of music is all.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
its just music has always had some sort of instument in it. And now its nothing. the instruments , i think, are the best part of music and now people just take already made music put it on a turn table and scratch around with it.
Quote by Funkbass796
I wouldn't say that's the case at all. I think playing guitar has always been a fad for teenagers ever since rock became popular. I don't really think we're on the verge of anything new, just different styles of music is all.

Yeah, you gotta be open minded. Not everyone wants to shred or wants to be the best guitarist out there. They just want to play what's right to them. I can't shred, I can't play that fast either, I just love the guitar and love to make music as a whole with the rest of my band. I don't need to be the best guitar player in the world to be happy.
Nikolas
You're not looking hard enough. That's what people always say..."Oh boo-hoo, mainstream music sucks...blah blah blah, tell me something I don't already know. Just look harder for better music.
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
AND WE ARE THE DREAMERS OF THE DREAMS
Like every other threadstarter complaining about posers, all you have to do is stay calm, and know that you (suposedly) are the one with the talent, they are the poser. When the time comes, and you are face to face with guitars, that is when you melt their face, and show them how you play guitar. If they can't, then that's their problem. Just don't worry about those posers who can't play, and who seem to make it. We all know those poser powerchord/ three chord bands [cough] greenday [cough] and we have more integrity knowing that we have devoted the time and energy (and money) to learn our art.
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
well yeah i dont listen to main stream stuff when it comes to modern i just wish i could turn on my radio with out hearing shit right away you know. (i live next to a radio station)
Quote by hendrixrocks4
its just music has always had some sort of instument in it. And now its nothing. the instruments , i think, are the best part of music and now people just take already made music put it on a turn table and scratch around with it.

DJ-ing well takes a lot of skill too. It's just different than guitar. I have a lot more respect for a real DJ than some manufactured pop act with "guitarists" that might not even play on the CD.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Quote by hendrixrocks4

Well look at how long music has been around and how much of it there is...it's a bit hard to be original. However the people sampling stuff, they do a damn good job of making it sound good alot of the time. So yeah it may not be an actual instrument, but it's not really that bad now is it?

Things to come:
Quote by hendrixrocks4

agree 100% i care more about the instruments than the lyrics and i hate how people say how great rappers are. they dont do a thing but rap about the same shit everytime.
I dont want to do this again.
I dont want to do this again.
I dont want to...
<//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\>
Quote by hendrixrocks4

Um you do realise you more than likly picked up a guitar because you thought it was "cool" i know i did. Really man wow people dont listen to much led zep or hendrix or the beatles anymore who cares some people do. Im sure when the beatles came out alot of people were like o that old skool gospel music is way cooler than this shitty new trend look theres always going to be new music, who is to say this music is worse than older music? Not me or you or anyone on this forum because all music is good its just a matter of opinion on what you like. As for people who cant play well who cares! I bet you didnt just pick up a guitar and become instantly good it takes time. So what if they wanna show off what they know good for them let them have there fun. Um and vocals is an instrument, so is turntables, a triangle and everything else! Just cause they dont play old skool guitar doesnt mean there instrument doesnt have merit. No offence dude but broaden your look on things and realise that all music has its own great qualitys.

I suck at guitar but I don't play it to look cool. I play it because I like it and I want to get better. It'd be easier to throw on some baggy clothes and start rhyming ho' with mo', but I'll stick with guitar thenk ye kindly
did i say it was original i just made this so everyone could post here rather than in 50 million threads
How about you listen to more than just classic rock? Have you never tried listening to some metal? It is a huge genre with so many subgenres you could lose your children in them! And it is almost always completely centered around guitar!
Quote by RedHotFan182
agree 100% i care more about the instruments than the lyrics and i hate how people say how great rappers are. they dont do a thing but rap about the same shit everytime.

vocals is an instrument you know.
You are one of those guys who thinks the only guitar players to ever play a guitar solo were Page, Hendrix, etc. Stop huddling around your vinyl collection and start looking around for good music. You will find that there are some truly amazing guitarists that make those guys look like monkeys! Tons of great rock and metal bands are around today to settle your guitar fetish. Just look for them.
Quote by hendrixrocks4
did i say it was original i just made this so everyone could post here rather than in 50 million threads

You made another thread so people would stop making threads? Why not post in one similiar?
Quote by CowboyUp
How about you listen to more than just classic rock? Have you never tried listening to some metal? It is a huge genre with so many subgenres you could lose your children in them! And it is almost always completely centered around guitar!

And most of the people who listen to it arrogant pricks who think metal is the only valid genre of music. I will admit the fans have killed music for me more than anything. Everyone is so bent on forcing their tastes on everyone else that we just forget to appreciate music as a whole and not just bits and pieces of it.

Things to come:
Quote by Funkbass796
And most of the people who listen to it arrogant pricks who think metal is the only valid genre of music. I will admit the fans have killed music for me more than anything. Everyone is so bent on forcing their tastes on everyone else that we just forget to appreciate music as a whole and not just bits and pieces of it.

Just listen to music for the music and not for the fans. If that doesn't work, destroy your internet so you don't have to deal with forum monkeys
Quote by Feel bad inc.
Um you do realise you more than likly picked up a guitar because you thought it was "cool" i know i did. Really man wow people dont listen to much led zep or hendrix or the beatles anymore who cares some people do. Im sure when the beatles came out alot of people were like o that old skool gospel music is way cooler than this shitty new trend look theres always going to be new music, who is to say this music is worse than older music? Not me or you or anyone on this forum because all music is good its just a matter of opinion on what you like. As for people who cant play well who cares! I bet you didnt just pick up a guitar and become instantly good it takes time. So what if they wanna show off what they know good for them let them have there fun. Um and vocals is an instrument, so is turntables, a triangle and everything else! Just cause they dont play old skool guitar doesnt mean there instrument doesnt have merit. No offence dude but broaden your look on things and realise that all music has its own great qualitys.

yeah man i know where you are coming from but there is some stuff i cant stand and thats the way it is. i listen to everything before i crit it you know something i learned from eric clapton. i just find it sad when poeple stop even caring what the music is about like the songs now are all words yet most people dont know what they are saying lol.
Blech. I think metal and classic rock especially suffer from stupid/pseudo-intellectual fans. There are some pretty intelligent fans of both genres, but on the whole, there's just a lot of stupid ones.
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
AND WE ARE THE DREAMERS OF THE DREAMS
Quote by CowboyUp
You are one of those guys who thinks the only guitar players to ever play a guitar solo were Page, Hendrix, etc. Stop huddling around your vinyl collection and start looking around for good music. You will find that there are some truly amazing guitarists that make those guys look like monkeys! Tons of great rock and metal bands are around today to settle your guitar fetish. Just look for them.

why do you automatically assume that thats all i listen to? and no i doubt they will look like monkeys lol. But yeah man i can get into new stuff i just wish that other people would realize there is more than pop... you know what i am saying?
Quote by hendrixrocks4
yeah man i know where you are coming from but there is some stuff i cant stand and thats the way it is. i listen to everything before i crit it you know something i learned from eric clapton. i just find it sad when poeple stop even caring what the music is about like the songs now are all words yet most people dont know what they are saying lol.

Well the thing is that the words are an important part of our music. I personaly listen to most of the bands i do because i enjoy the words and the instruments complement them. You dont have to do complicated things to be good at your instrument or be a good band.
Quote by CowboyUp
Just listen to music for the music and not for the fans. If that doesn't work, destroy your internet so you don't have to deal with forum monkeys

Oh no doubt I do. It's just my wanting to avoid those assholes has kept me from seeing certain bands, like Soilwork for example.

Things to come:
Quote by cashewchaching
Like every other threadstarter complaining about posers, all you have to do is stay calm, and know that you (suposedly) are the one with the talent, they are the poser. When the time comes, and you are face to face with guitars, that is when you melt their face, and show them how you play guitar. If they can't, then that's their problem. Just don't worry about those posers who can't play, and who seem to make it. We all know those poser powerchord/ three chord bands [cough] greenday [cough] and we have more integrity knowing that we have devoted the time and energy (and money) to learn our art.

What is this whole 'gunslinger' mentality of the fastest guitarist, the guy who can sweep pick arpeggiated 16th notes at 500 bpm is the best musician? That's just ridiculous. Not that I don't love to hear somebody shred well, it's one of my favorite things. But being able to 'shred' does not make you more talented, or a better musician. It means you have spent a lot of time practicing for speed.

Those 3 chord bands like Green Day? They were working on their songwriting and lyrics, and that's why they're able to connect with millions of people. That's perfectly valid too, songwriting is a part of being a musician just as much as being able to shred.
no you dont like look at one of my favorite people of all time..Robert Zimmerman...but his words accually ment stuff to people i mean does "smack that" mean anyting to you? lol
Quote by hendrixrocks4
why do you automatically assume that thats all i listen to? and no i doubt they will look like monkeys lol. But yeah man i can get into new stuff i just wish that other people would realize there is more than pop... you know what i am saying?

I get what you saying. Personaly i am a big fan of classic rock (mainly beatles really lol) but i listen to everything before i judge it and even if i dont like it i always can find something good about it. Thats what you should do find the good in every persons playing there always is some.
Quote by hendrixrocks4
i mean does "smack that" mean anyting to you? lol

Hell yeah. That's baby makin music man (not joking). That's something you listen to when you're about to hop on the good foot and do the bad thing.

Things to come:
ill tell you one of my favorite bands that i found recintally is Dredg i thinks its some of the most awesome stuff ever.
i remeber there was this one pop song and all it did was had a baby crying the hole time lol its was soooo annoying the peoples voices were good but i could put the annoyance of the baby past them lol
hey guys, if you think about it, this thread was neccessary.

why?

because it's part of what i like to call the "cycle of UG"

in this cycle, there is always:

-10 "favorite bands" threads
-7 "dream bands" threads
-16 computer/ipod/mp3 player thread
-8 absurd medical questions/stories regarding pregnancy or penis threads
-3 "today's music/guitarists aren't as good as Zeppelin" threads
-and last but not least, 23482348234 retarded game threads

so yea, if you think about it, morons like the threadstarter are long overdue in the cycle of UG. cheers, threadstarter.
Quote by hendrixrocks4

Well, first off, you have a Hendrix avatar. Second, you mention Zeppelin and Hendrix in your "ooh there r no popular good geetarists" post. So, I assumed you didn't know much about newer guitarists.

I'm not saying just to look new rock bands or pop bands, I am just saying that in general there are loads of good musicians in good bands, you just have to look around for them. You could listen to some Indi ish bands like Murder By Death or metal like Megadeth or instrumental rock like Joe Satriani. Even check out some classical or neo-classical music or Jazz fusion. Don't be so closed minded in thinking that there hasn't been good guitar since the 60's, because there has.

In the end, you are the one lacking because you only see music for what is played on the radio and not for the immense and diverse thing that it really is.
Quote by hendrixrocks4

and i wish fucking morons like you realize there's more to music than shitty zeppelin and hendrix.
Quote by altronataku
and i wish fucking morons like you realize there's more to music than shitty zeppelin and hendrix.

Your becoming one of my favorite UG'ers. You always know just how to push peoples buttons.
Page 1 of 4