I have a fretless bass with fret lines. Personally, I think they look cooler without the fret lines. When I become more accustomed to where my fingers are supposed to be placed, I hope to remove these fret lines. Is this possible? Would it be possible to sand the paint off or something without completely repainting the fretboard? I'm basically clueless at how to take this on, so any advice is welcome.
What kind of fingerboard do you have?

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Wow, I probably should have thought about that before posting. =P

It's a maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard.
A lot of times, mass produced fretless basses have fingerboards that were slotted for frets and filled in with some kind of fret marker like wood or plastic - just like you'd do if you took a fretted bass and defretted it. Therefore, it'd be almost impossible to take sand them down, unless you sanded the fingerboard down almost to where it's glued to the neck.

You could, however, buy a new neck with an unlined fingerboard, or you could try to remove the fret markers and find ones that match the color of your fingerboard and put those in. It's a long shot, however. A new Warmoth neck (assuming you have a P or a J neck on your bass) would run you maybe $200, or somewhere around there.
Gear:
SX SJB62-5 5-String Fretless Jazz Copy (EADGC)
Ibanez GSR200 4-String Fretted (BEAD)
Ibanez IBZ10B 10 Watt Practice Combo Amp
DR Stainless Steel Lo-Riders
Yamaha Air Cell Straps
if they were in fret slots you could stain the fret markers the same colour as the fingerboard if you really felt like it
Dinobot clone of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

Member #6 of the Geddy Lee fan club - pm RIC4003 to join.
UG spartan number 180