I've been getting into recording some guitar, and recently I've just been using a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter plugged into the on-board sound (motherboard) and having it set up like.. Guitar > Pedals > Computer. When recording over multiple tracks, I notice that the second track won't be lined up with the one I recorded over, and I am POSITIVE that it's not me playing the notes a second too late... Is it because I'm using the onboard motherboard line-in, and should I purchase a high-end sound card for recording? I'm currently investing in several other items, so I'm looking to spend as little money as possible while getting the best quality for the price. So, how do I get rid of the latency?
try this. buy a line6 toneport UX2 and use a good laptop or desktop, mac if you can. no latency whatsoever. this will cost around $150 usd
Quote by cheames
neither is great. The Fender is bad though, unlike the Behringer which sounds so bad that it makes you want to stab out your own eardrums with a blunt pencil . hope that was helpful.

Guitar
Expert
Last edited by jamrockradio at Jan 27, 2007,
I refuse to use a Mac, although my PC is very top of the line. The Toneport is USB, correct?
yup, the USB powers it and everything.
Quote by cheames
neither is great. The Fender is bad though, unlike the Behringer which sounds so bad that it makes you want to stab out your own eardrums with a blunt pencil . hope that was helpful.

Guitar
Expert
Quote by jamrockradio
yup, the USB powers it and everything.

But since it's USB wouldn't it still have latency? I would've thought that going straight into a soundcard would be more efficient than USB, but I have no experience with this, so please correct me if I'm wrong.
no no no no no.

the toneport works in real time, the actual recording is done by the tone port, you just see it on your computer screen.
Quote by cheames

Guitar
Expert
Quote by Romeo.
I refuse to use a Mac, although my PC is very top of the line. The Toneport is USB, correct?

Why do you refuse to use a Mac?
the toneport is OK, but reallyt for the lowest latency possible you need to geta good firewire interface or PCBus interface.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
the toneport is OK, but reallyt for the lowest latency possible you need to geta good firewire interface or PCBus interface.

yes that is really the best way to go, but if you have a good computer the toneport is just as good.
Quote by cheames

Guitar
Expert
You don't need to buy anything. Try downloading a new ASIO driver. You can get it free from:
http://www.asio4all.com/

I pretty much use the same setup, except i connect everything to the amp, then I connect the amp to the soundcard (the on-board one like you use), and i had the same problem, but once i got this driver, there was practically no latency. But try messing around with the settings until there is no buffer. It works great for me, it shouldn't give you any problems.
That would only work if the onboard soundcard on his motherboard supported ASIO, which is unlikely, another option (that doesn't involve spending any money) is to work out exactly how many milliseconds of latency your signal chain is introducing (you can find this out by trial and error) then load the WAV into a Wave editor and cut that amount off the beginning of the track. Eg, you might have to cut 20 milliseconds off. You could also use the timeshift function to do the same thing (if your sequencer has one)
Last edited by Mr Songwriter at Jan 29, 2007,
You don't need to buy anything. Try downloading a new ASIO driver. You can get it free from:
http://www.asio4all.com/

This is step #1.

If that doesn't work, this is step #2.
Home Recording Soundcard Wizard
http://www.recordingreview.com/soundcard/