Page 1 of 2
Lately, I've been really into the more rock n' roll style of punk. If you don't know what I mean, it's like a cross between proto punk, garage rock, rockabilly, and punk rock. The problem is, I want more bands like this to listen to! Here are some good ones I already listen to:

Angel City Outcasts
The Beerleaders
Born To Lose
The Dead Boys
Iggy & the Stooges
Motörhead
Radio Birdman
The Repercussions
The Rezillos
Richard Hell & The Voidoids
The Turbo A.C.'s

So, anyone else like this kinda stuff? How bout some suggestions?
Quote by nirvana4lf
motorhead is metal...

You don't know much about Motorhead, do you? They have deep punk influences like the Ramones, MC5, and the Stooges. They wrote the song "R.A.M.O.N.E.S.", which basically sounds like a Ramones song. The bottom line is that they sound like punk, even if they call themselves metal.

Also, if you've ever been to a punk show, I'm sure you've seen at least one Motorhead t-shirt there.
new york dolls, the dead milkmen, um... mc5 the velvet underground
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Rancid are the best punk band ever.

Tim Armstrong is a songwriting genius, is a complete fashion diva and has an incredible singing voice.

He doesn't sound like Opie from family guy at all.
Quote by mike2
new york dolls, the dead milkmen, um... mc5 the velvet underground

I know about those, but thanks anyway.
idk then...lol...that is all i got too...

edit: maybe the 101ers, but they are more pub rock...just joe's voice reminds me of the clash and hence punker for some reason.
Quote by BrianApocalypse

Tim Armstrong is a songwriting genius, is a complete fashion diva and has an incredible singing voice.

Last edited by mike2 at Jan 28, 2007,
Garage punk is a little different I guess, but I've been listening to it a lot lately. Good bands:

Oblivians
Gories
Compulsive Gamblers
Cheater Slicks
Mystery Girls
King Khan and BBQ Show
The Spaceshits
Speedball Baby
Teengenerate
Clone Defects
Little Killers
Thee Mighty Caesars
Thee Headcoats
The Rip Offs
Reigning Sounds
The Pagans
The New Bomb Turks
Electric Eels
The Bloody Hollies
The Black Lips
The A-Bones
The Bassholes

That's a pretty diverse list. A lot of those have more blues influence than straight up rock n' roll influence, but they're still fantastic. I especially recommend the New Bomb Turks, the Oblivians, and the Gories.

Also, I should say that I can't take credit for finding most of these bands. I got into most of them from hearing whyvern or Ragethesage talk about them, so they did most of the dirty work, and I just listened.
For the record, I consider Motorhead's "No Voices In The Sky" to be a great punk song.

Their cover of Pink Fairies "City Kids" is also pretty good.
Lemmy and Twink (Pink Fairies, Rings) were in Hawkwind together and traded members/played and did projects together, all the way up to and after Twink left Pink Fairies and founded "The Rings(who did one the most coveted punk singles from '77).

As to Punk Rock 'N Roll, you SOOOO just asked the right question.

Start by getting everything that Wayne/Jayne County has done.
I'm sure that you listen to them already, but don't forget Thunders & Heartbreakers stuff.

Adam And The Ants - ("9 to 5" and "Beat My Guest" are about all they should have done)
Alternative TV - ("Action Time Vision")
Avengers - ("Thin White Line")
Pink Fairies - ("Reading Between The Lines")
Rings - "(I Wanna Be Free")
Crime
Damned - ("New Rose", "Neat, Neat, Neat")
Eddie and The Hot Rods - ("Teenage Depression", "Get Out Of Denver" and "Quit This Town")
Flamin' Groovies - ("Tallahassee Lassie")
Hanoi Rocks - ("Problem Child")
Hollywood Brats - (became the Boys, but their versions of "Tumble With Me" and "Sick On You" are better than the Boys version)
The Boys - ("Brickfield Nights")
Zeros
Idols - (ex-members of the NY Dolls, songs"You" and "Girl That I Love")
Black Market Baby - ("Backseat Sally")
Slickee Boys
London Cowboys - (only the first album, I'm afraid)
Destroy All Monsters - (Stooges with a female singer)
Berlin Brats
The Brats
Cherry Vanilla
Rubber City Rebels
Urban Dogs - ("Cocaine" and "Limo Life")
Nipple Erectors
Onion Dolls
Count Vertigo - ("X- Patriots")
Rezillos - ("Someone's Gonna Get Their Heads Kicked In Tonight")
Modern Lovers - ("Roadrunner", "Modern World" and "She Cracked")

Australia was rife with Punk Rock 'N Roll in '77.
Look for...

Baby Grand -( I posted a link to get it free awhile ago, search for it)
Lime Spiders - (early stuff like "Slave Girl", "Beyond The Fringe" & "Save My Soul")
The Saints
The Fun Things
New Race
X - (Australian one had the name first, but both loved the punk rock 'n roll.)

Warsaw/Joy Division's "Interzone" - Ian Curtis was obsessed with Iggy and this song sounds like a lost Stooges song, particularly the guitar.
Alice Cooper - ("Under My Wheels" and "Elected" are rockers, speaking of Iggy wanna-bes)

And one band that no-one ever talks about on this site, Cheap Trick.
Get "Clock Strikes Ten", "Hot Love", "Stiff Competition", "Auf Weidersehen" and "California Man" and play them as loud as you can.
You'll be glad you did.
(Just do what I do, and pretend that these are the only songs that they wrote.)
Quote by sargasm
I don't like straight edge because it's part of Hardcore, and I don't like Hardcore because, aside from the terrible music, the kids are often very homophobic.

You forgot ugly, lazy and disrespectful.
mike2, I already know the 101'ers, so thanks anyway. "Tele" Steve, I know all yours too, but thanks.

Prince, opivy21, johnnynemo, and iluvpowerchords, I'll check those out, even though I know about half of opivy21 and johnnynemo's.

And johnnynemo, New Race is one of Deniz Tek's bands, right?
Last edited by hardrock1315 at Jan 28, 2007,
boomtown rats...
Quote by BrianApocalypse

The Jam were more of a powerpop band to me, but I liked their cover of "Slow Down".
I'm not saying they weren't punk, particularly since the Pistols lifted the riff from "In The City" for "Holidays In The Sun", but most of their stuff is really poppy.

See how fair and balanced I am?
I even called my favorite band on it, when they stole a song.
I just felt the Jam deserved it for being stupid Tory loyalists.

Quote by hardrock1315
And johnnynemo, New Race is one of Deniz Tek's bands, right?

It's a supergroup that doesn't suck.
Deniz Tek,Warwick Gilbert and Rob Younger from Radio Birdman, with Ron Asheton(STOOGES) and Dennis Thompson(MC5).
All the things a growing boy needs.

"Hail Columbia" is my fave track.
Quote by sargasm
I don't like straight edge because it's part of Hardcore, and I don't like Hardcore because, aside from the terrible music, the kids are often very homophobic.

Listen to every band on Goner Records, Rip Off Records and it's worth it to buy the new Jay Retard solo album too...

scratch that.

Buy the new Jay Retard solo album right now!
HELP ME I'M TRAPPED IN A HUMAN BODY!
I prefer the New Christs to New Race, but thats just me.

The Catholic Boys (close in style, i guess, to the Baseball furies, who were also rightfully mentioned. Get these guys as soon as you can, Psychic Voodoo Mind Control is one of my favourite albums)
The Gravedigger Five (pretty much anything you can find is good if you're into any garage-punk)
Black Market Baby
The Slickee Boys
Thee Headcoatees, Thee Milkshakes, Thee Mighty Caesars, etc.
The Sonics (Here Are the Sonics)

this thread is a collective arsenal of bands i can back fully.
WHAT WE WANT IS FREE
my relentless promotion of the catholic boys has paid off. Maybe next year everyone will be into Bent Outta Shape too!
i don't think anyone's said it but you could try Reverend Horton Heat, good psychobilly band
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I got crap to do, okay? Counter-Strike isn't going to play itself.
If you haven't heard these albums, I would definitely recommend both Los Angeles and Wild Gift by X.
Quote by o-brien
nice to see another fan out there

yeah dude, I've liked the Catholic Boys since like back in 2003. They came to Huntsville all the time but I never got to see them because they always played too late or at 9th house and I was a wee one. I know Eric from that band and he's a cool guy. The bassist in my band used to live with all of those guys when he lived in Milwaukee.
Quote by hardrock1315
You don't know much about Motorhead, do you? They have deep punk influences like the Ramones, MC5, and the Stooges. They wrote the song "R.A.M.O.N.E.S.", which basically sounds like a Ramones song. The bottom line is that they sound like punk, even if they call themselves metal.

Also, if you've ever been to a punk show, I'm sure you've seen at least one Motorhead t-shirt there.

Motorhead are metal dude. it's just that some "punk" fans happen to be more open minded than you, and like metal too.
I've always thought the Dead Boys and the New York Dolls to be more Rock than anything.

The Riverboat Gamblers are kind of punk rock n' roll. To me at least.
o no you didn't.
Quote by BrianApocalypse

Quote by pinheadslts75
I've always thought the Dead Boys and the New York Dolls to be more Rock than anything.

The Riverboat Gamblers are kind of punk rock n' roll. To me at least.

I agree with you about the dolls but not so much with the Dead Boys. If I heard the New York Dolls on a classic rock station they wouldn't sound out of place but the Dead Boys would stick out a lot.
Quote by (A)//(E)
new york dolls ****ing suck

Its not possible for a ridiculously awesome band that cross dresses to suck, it just isn't possible.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Last edited by yeahyeah at Jan 28, 2007,
Quote by (A)//(E)
new york dolls ****ing suck

I'm going to sing Camptown races to celebrate your ban, asshole.

(A)//(E) just got banned now
Doo da, doo da
Total dumbass anyhow
Oh, the doo da day.
Last edited by pinheadslts75 at Jan 28, 2007,
Quote by pinheadslts75
I'm going to sing Camptown races to celebrate your ban, asshole.

(A)//(E) just got banned now
Doo da, doo da
Too dumbass anyhow
Oh, the doo da day.

We should do an online collaboration of that.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Quote by pacificspecific
Motorhead are metal dude. it's just that some "punk" fans happen to be more open minded than you, and like metal too.

I will again reiterate....

For the record, I consider Motorhead's "No Voices In The Sky" to be a great punk song.

Their cover of Pink Fairies "City Kids" is also pretty good.
Lemmy and Twink (Pink Fairies, Rings) were in Hawkwind together and traded members/played and did projects together, all the way up to and after Twink left Pink Fairies and founded "The Rings" (who did one the most coveted punk singles from '77 , namely "I Wanna Be Free").

The Ramones do a song called "Suzy Is A Headbanger".
Does that make them a head-banging metal band?
No.

It means that they're a bit of both, like Motorhead and the Dictators.
Quote by sargasm

D'oh!
I totally dissed Boston.

DMZ and Third Rail are great punk and roll.
Quote by sargasm

Quote by whyvern
yeah dude, I've liked the Catholic Boys since like back in 2003. They came to Huntsville all the time but I never got to see them because they always played too late or at 9th house and I was a wee one. I know Eric from that band and he's a cool guy. The bassist in my band used to live with all of those guys when he lived in Milwaukee.

that's really interesting. I'm not any kind of connected, just heard about the band a while ago from a friend. and I've never seen them in my life, personally, but then again this is Canada, and I'll take what I can get.

and I just thought of two more for the list

The Celibate Rifles
Crime (Check out San Fransisco's Doomed. It won't let you down, I promise.)
WHAT WE WANT IS FREE
Page 1 of 2