Page 1 of 2
So I started this about 2 months ago, before I got banned. And now I'm back so I'll give a big update 'cos I'm almost finished.

So I started with a cheap $99 Jackson copy. (pic. 1)

Disassembled and sanded it. Filled in the mid and neck pup cavities since I won't be using them. and clear coated to smooth it out for painting. (pic. 2)

The plan was a Dan Jacobs-esque finish with a 'XXX' across the guitar.. Then I did the bottom coat of white. Masked off and painted the black Xs. (pic. 3)
But when I peeled off the tape it ripped up alot of the paint so the X's looked kind of 'embossed' but I didn't mind too much. I wasn't expecting my first attemp to be perfect.

So then I bought some red paint and splattered it on there over all that. (pic. 4)

Now I'm just up to finishing the clear coats. Some parts are pretty shitty but I don't really care anymore. I'm sick of painting, now I wanna put it together and make something playable.

So the rest of the plan..

I scalloped the last 5 frets. Just because I was bored and did one and it was easy, so I did the others. (pic. 5)

I'm going to sand the back of the neck, probably not ALL the way to wood, but pretty close to make it a bit quicker.
I bought an EMG 81 for the bridge. I'm just gonna use the wiring stuff that came with that. 1 vol. 1 tone.
I bought new string saddles. They're just cheapo ones 'cos I have a budget now, they're silver too but I don't really mind.
I was going to get new tuners. Probably locking. But I don't think I'll bother anymore.
And I'm going to block off the tremelo since I never use them.

That's about all I guess. His name is Rasputin.

So what do you guys think?
Last edited by TheDev01dOne at Feb 4, 2007,
IMO, the blood splatters look tacky.
That's not to say you haven't done an awesome job though
What pickup are you putting in it?
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
I don't think the XXX's neat, clean font meshes well with the blood spatter. But thats just me. Maybe the pics ust don't do it justice. However, very cool looking though. Looks like a very clean, even job.

Are those smudges of red at the top left of the body?
Yeah I tried 'dribbling' the paint down but it didn't work so I wiped it off but it smudged a little. It's not even close to perfect but it's good enough for me. I kinda like all the imperfections, will help me remember doing it all myself I guess. Something like that.
Thanks dudes.

The Xs look raised because they kind of are. When I peeled the masking tape off where I cut out the Xshapes it ripped up the white paint around the edges so it dips in at the edges of the black paint. It's smoothed over with clear but you can still see the difference in depth. I think it looks pretty cool. Best mistake I made on this guitar.

So..

I went and checked the price to install the pickup and give it a full service to make it playable.
To install the p/up is $35 which is reasonable 'cos I'm really not confident doing it myself.
But the service is $55. I think maybe it's so expensive because it's time consuming but it sucks. I don't know how to make it all good though like, action, intonation and shit so I'll probably pay just to be done with it.

I'm gonna finish the clear coats tomorrow before work hopefully. Then I'll reassemble what I can and take it to the shop on wednesday or thursday.

Oh and here's a pic of my lame headstock. I was too lazy to make a fancy decal so I just wrote it in permanent marker and clear coated over it..

Pretty bitchin I'd put a Floyd or an Ibanez trem in it, though.. but that's me. I'm a nut for whammy bar stuff. You gonna glue the neck in and like, put glue on the bolts and stuff when you're done to increase sustain and stability?
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Sounds cool, too. I don't remember where I learned the glued in thing.. I think somebody who constructed a guitar from Warmoth said they did it in thier review of thier axe.

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.

Are you goign with black hardware? Because that would be bitchin'.

What does the servicing include? 55 sounds like a bit much, in my opinion. But it would be more worth it if you get a new bridge, or the neck is super ****ed up.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
It has all black hardware apart from the saddles (chrome.. shitty I know but they were only $2.50) Which will probably be replaced later anyway. Either just the saddles or a whole new bridge. I even buffed and repainted all the screws that are going back on the guitar.

And yeah well it includes action, intonation, truss rod adjustment, fret polish and fretboard oil, restringing, pickup adjustments. Which it needs most of. I don't know what else really. It's all pulled apart and screwed with so I'm just gonna put everthing back together apart from the electronics and strings and take it to the shop and tell him to set it up as good as possible.
You'll need to post some sound bytes when it's done so we can hear what it sounds like Do you know what the body wood is? It looks like it was thrown together from a few different scraps...

Stupid name.

Ahhh.. plywood. That's what I thought from the sanded pic. Also from the price tag xD Oh well, pump enough gain through it and it won't matter :P

Stupid name.

Whao, I just noticed... is that a ONE BOLT neck ._.?

EDIT: Nevermind. I was looking at the painted pics and only saw one hole. Then I checked out the unpainted one and realized that the paint just covered the holes for the bolts. Is that a truss rod access hole or something?

Stupid name.

Last edited by Shinozoku at Jan 30, 2007,
Quote by woodenbandman
pics don't work for me.

It's just you then. Plywood + active pickups is still going to sound like mush, just use passive high-gain pickups. No batteries then either =)
If you're interested, I've got a seller on Ebay who sells SD pickups, Bill Lawrences, etc for pretty cheap.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
rite guitar looks awesome maybe you could buy a new body and do the same. then it would def be cool. also i hate scalloped fretboards. they're too weird
same here, like the blood though and the way the xxx looks embossed is very cool
Sweet. So I finished the clear coating today. It's a bit crappy but it's all good. I'll give it a week the sand it smooth. The another week to let it dry a bit more and I'll polish it up. Then I'm gona put it back together and take it to the shop for pickup installation/service to make it all playable.

I'm really happy with how it turned out for my first attempt. The front is super smooth and shiny. Just the back has some dodgy paint and airbubbles in the clear. It's still smooth though. So here's some pics..

You can see my inspirational words there on the edge. A last minute addition.

No retreat is from a Machine Head song. Imperium.

xRISE ABOVEx is sef explanatory.

And 'Tell the truth' is from a Tom Morello quote:
“A musician's or artist's responsibility is a simple one, and that is, through your music to tell the truth.”
i think it looks deadly, very cool especially when you take a closer look at it. i think you should just leave the EMG in there. the 85 i like better, but don't put in passives since they'd be more troubled by the plywood. actives are usually not that much influenced by the wood. and 85's sound great with rosewood fretboard imo, a bit fat with a sparkle shining through. a shame for the white bubbles over the blood though, if it were red it would be cool but not now. it's ion the back though so noone will see it.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
I don't really mind about the back because that was the whole idea, just to use the back as kind of a test so I don't ruin the front. 'Sall good I still love it.

Iused just clear spraypaint for the headstock and it's gone a weird yellowy colour. It's really noticable IRL.

I wonder what the people at the shop are gonna say when I pull it out..
i think

SPAM!

My Gear:
ESP LTD EC-1000 SW
ESP LTD EC 500 STBC
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Dean Razorback Two Tone
Ibanez 7 string
Randall RH150G3 Head and Cab
Quote by FretboardToAsh
i think it looks deadly, very cool especially when you take a closer look at it. i think you should just leave the EMG in there. the 85 i like better, but don't put in passives since they'd be more troubled by the plywood. actives are usually not that much influenced by the wood. and 85's sound great with rosewood fretboard imo, a bit fat with a sparkle shining through. a shame for the white bubbles over the blood though, if it were red it would be cool but not now. it's ion the back though so noone will see it.

You just contradicted yourself.

BTW, Spammy McSpamSpam, do you really want to get banned? Do you want us to see your hardXcore bass that badly?

Reported for the third time.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
thats a great job IMO, hope it sounds as good as it looks, even though its plywood lol
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
to the spammer up there , reported.

I think you should blood splatter the headstoc kman, that would be bad-ass, but it looks great now
GEAR
- Epi Les Paul Custom (emma)
- Orange Tiny Terror
- 2x12 w/greenbacks
-MXR ZW-44 Overdrivel
- MXR Phase 90
- EB Volume JR.
- Boss DD-3
The blood looks f..in amazing! That's a great job you did there. The 3 X kind of stand out.. in a dull way. Maybe because they look too "truetype". But the whole thing looks great!
--Whistler
I have a plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel.

-Edmund, Blackadder
i like it, the xxx dont look neat as stated but that makes it look better and i like the blood splatter. ithink it will be very smart when finished..
why rasputin?
Gear:

Gibson lpj
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Les Paul 1960's Tribute Plus
Schecter s-1
Marshall JCM900 100WATT HEAD
Fender mustang 1
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Distortion
Tanglewood exotic electro acoustic
Westfield Bass
Quote by Will_Minus
You just contradicted yourself.

you're right my mistake. it's cause i've got hz-4a's(basically the passive form of an 85)in another guitar and they sound great with rosewood, but too thin on maple. but actives usually aren't that bothered by the wood that's used.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Last edited by FretboardToAsh at Feb 5, 2007,
Page 1 of 2