Hi, i searched everywhere about "what are scales", but i couldn't find any information, all of the informations were teaching guitar scales. So, can someone give me an information about what are guitar scales, and what are they used for?
Thanks
scales are just assortments of notes. certain scales are played over certain chords/chord progressions.. if you play the wrong scale, what will most likely happen is you will end up with your solo sounding AWFUL... im pretty bad at explaining WHAT they are, but i could tell you how to use them lol.
oh, ok, now i got the idea. But can you explain to me, what are licks, and what are riffs?
Thanks
Licks are patterns used in soloing.

Riffs are prominent melodies that usually are the basis for most rock songs.

These terms and they're differences aren't really all that important to know. Just play the music man

Btw, just note, scales are for any instrument. There's no such thing as a scale that's only meant for guitar.
Whats riff?

Drums have scales?
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
^ Okay, obviously percussive instruments don't have scales.

And I think I already explained what a riff is (as well as that that the definitions don't really matter).
if someone gives me a tab, which is either a scale, a riff, or a lick. How should i know which one is it?
Quote by yawn
^ Okay, obviously percussive instruments don't have scales.

And I think I already explained what a riff is (as well as that that the definitions don't really matter).

Correction: untuned percussion instruments don't have scales.
if someone gives me a tab, which is either a scale, a riff, or a lick. How should i know which one is it?

You would know if it was a scale from the notes and the sequence. As a general rule of thumb anything with chords (not double stops) in it will be a riff, but there are songs like Black Dog and Black Night which have single-note riffs. Licks are short melodic phrases [usually] within scales that commonly incorporate techniques such as legato playing, slides, artificial harmonics and tapping. Can all of these occur in riffs? You bet.

So to summarise, there's a lot of grey areas and it doesn't really matter anyway. Wish I'd thought to write that first.
Quote by scrilly
Correction: untuned percussion instruments don't have scales.

You would know if it was a scale from the notes and the sequence. As a general rule of thumb anything with chords (not double stops) in it will be a riff, but there are songs like Black Dog and Black Night which have single-note riffs. Licks are short melodic phrases [usually] within scales that commonly incorporate techniques such as legato playing, slides, artificial harmonics and tapping. Can all of these occur in riffs? You bet.

So to summarise, there's a lot of grey areas and it doesn't really matter anyway. Wish I'd thought to write that first.
Pfft, way ahead of you
I don't thimk atonal music uses scales either - serialism, experiental, minimalism.
can you say that licks use the high E string, but Scales use all of the six strings.
Quote by sevag00
can you say that licks use the high E string, but Scales use all of the six strings.

licks are made from scales

you can make a solo using just o ne or all the strings, you can use all the notes in the scales to create licks for your solo
Quote by sevag00

No. You can play a scale on one string, or you can play a lick across five or six.