I'm making a battery pack, but since I can't find any way to make one for AC purposes, I'l probably use my existing adaptor with a battery pack. now, the question is, how do I make an AC battery pack?

Is using a power inverter meant for a car battery okay with a battery pack combination? Like 8 D batteries or something? I only need it for about 30 minutes or so.
What you're going to be powering has quite a bit to do with it. Depending on the battery, the lifetime is probably about 20,000 mAh. D cell batteries are 1.5 volts, so you'd have the correct voltage. Power is the voltage times the current, so you're looking at about 240 watt-hours, in a perfect environment and if the inverter doesn't dissipate any power (not likely). So the amount of power the device you're using takes is going to determine whether or not it'll work.
MG Free At Last
Quote by ljplum12
What you're going to be powering has quite a bit to do with it. Depending on the battery, the lifetime is probably about 20,000 mAh. D cell batteries are 1.5 volts, so you'd have the correct voltage. Power is the voltage times the current, so you're looking at about 240 watt-hours, in a perfect environment and if the inverter doesn't dissipate any power (not likely). So the amount of power the device you're using takes is going to determine whether or not it'll work.

I only need to power a 500 mah, 12 volt AC effects unit, for about an hour.
You mean like a wall wart? Wall warts are DC. There's a transformer/inverter inside of them that changes it from AC to DC. You could just run a plug from your batteries to the effects unit. I'm not sure how much current the effects unit actually pulls, but that pack should do pretty well for you.
MG Free At Last
Quote by ljplum12
You mean like a wall wart? Wall warts are DC. There's a transformer/inverter inside of them that changes it from AC to DC. You could just run a plug from your batteries to the effects unit. I'm not sure how much current the effects unit actually pulls, but that pack should do pretty well for you.

No no no.... My pedal takes 12V AC only, I know it's weird. It's a Zoom GFX8 and it can only take an AC/AC adaptor. Believe me, I've tried it.
Quote by ljplum12

I have tones of wall wart powersupllies that are AC. Most are DC but all of my M Audio, presonus, and Digi Tech gear has an AC output. My Tonebone Pedal has an AC output on the wall wart as well.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
I have tones of wall wart powersupllies that are AC. Most are DC but all of my M Audio, presonus, and Digi Tech gear has an AC output. My Tonebone Pedal has an AC output on the wall wart as well.

Learn something new every day. Sorry.
MG Free At Last
batteries are DC voltage sources

AC/AC wall warts have a transformer to transform the (my region) 120v - 12vac(and possibly voltage regulator, unlikely though since that's usually a DC thing).

AC/DC wall warts have a transformer and rectifier that would transform the 120v-12vac, and then 12vac-12vdc.
Last edited by greenbox at Jan 29, 2007,
Ok, I just need to know if using an inververter meant for a car battery will work on a pack of D batteries, for an hour, two at the most. Imean, I know there's enough amp hours, I just need to know if theres any danger with it.
should be fine, i think they sell power inverters for common household appliances too. but there shouldn't be too much problem with as long as it mimics line voltage
well, you need a 60hz oscillator to create an ac voltage with your D-pack then you can use the transformer to convert the voltage into 110/220 v...

OR...

you could use SMPS if you want it to power you pedal board... quite complicated if discussed here...
Quote by tubab0y
Look at it this way- everyone rags on air guitar here because everyone can play guitar. If we were on a lawn mower forum, air guitar would be okay and they would ridicule air mowing.

Quote by km-r
well, you need a 60hz oscillator to create an ac voltage with your D-pack then you can use the transformer to convert the voltage into 110/220 v...

I believe the type of inverter he's talking about will do the 60 hz thing itself.
MG Free At Last
^

oh, he has an inverter. so, that will do... but dont you think that car battery inverter thingy is quite bulky?
Quote by tubab0y
Look at it this way- everyone rags on air guitar here because everyone can play guitar. If we were on a lawn mower forum, air guitar would be okay and they would ridicule air mowing.

Quote by km-r
^

oh, he has an inverter. so, that will do... but dont you think that car battery inverter thingy is quite bulky?

I have a 300 watt one, it's not the big, maybe 5 inches by 3 inches by 1.5 inches.