I've got a yamaha pacifca HSS style guitar.
In the bridge I've got a swineshead pickup, and then the two stock singlecoils.
I'm looking for something with a bit of balls in the neck position, because when I do solos and anything up the top of my neck, the bridge humbucker begins to split up it gets so trebly, and if I use the single coil, it just sounds weak.
I was looking at the Seymour Duncan hot rails (I really don't feel like changing my pickguard and everything) wiould one of these give a decent sound in the neck position for solos. I'm only saying this because on my LP whenever I play solos I use the neck humbucker, and considered it to be the same principle.
Thanks in advance.
Phil
.....Glow In The Dark Condoms.....Rise And Shine....
It's one of Seymour's most popular pickups. They're pretty good, but don't expect them to sound good clean. For distortion, they're awesome. Iron Maiden and Tom Morello use them. I think.
Aaaww cool.
Yeah, I don't use this guitar much for clean, and when I do I normally use the bridge bucker. Let's go spend some money. =P
Ha ha
well on those sorta guitars the rule of thumb is

bridge pickup = lead tone
middle pickup= normal tone
neck pickup = rythm tone

so eh

but yeah the hotrails would be a pretty good choice
Yeah, that was my thought.
I just wanted more power than my single coil.
Nice name by the way, philipisabeast, ha ha. My name is Phil as well.....hence 'thepower' After the darts player.....
Anyway....
I've found this on eBay......do you reckion it'll just be rubbish, or decent?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRAND-NEW-HOT-HOT-RAIL-BLADE-SINGLE-PICK-UP_W0QQitemZ330080549757QQihZ014QQcategoryZ22670QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Phil
Quote by Diamond Dave
iron maiden use the JB junior

they use hot rails mate (at least Dave and Janick do).
Quote by Rockstar12345
One does not simply walk onto a Chav's lawn
Quote by codybcool
Hot rails in the neck?

good point, didnt even realize that he was talkin about a neck pup

personally the only single coil neck pup id wanna have would be a dimarzio hs3
actually, hot rails are so high output, high treble, they work pretty well in the neck.

feel free to check out dimarzio stacked mini buckers too tho.

i love my Virtual vintage heavy blues in my strats mid. but it's also rated for the neck.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Honestly I have never tried out Hot Rails, but I know they're well, very hot. You could also think about other mini humbuckers like the Little '59 or JB Jr.
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Fender Highway One Honey Blonde Strat (Fralin Pickups)
*Epiphone Zephyr Regent (Gibson '57 Humbucker)
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
Quote by jj1565
actually, hot rails are so high output, high treble, they work pretty well in the neck.

Well if that's what floats your boat... IMO it's got too much treble for the neck, doesn't really fit my idea of a neck pickup. I like the neck for leads
i much prefer the neck hotrails to the bridge one... it's a different pickup- different dc resisitance etc.

that being said, if you want a neck humbucker... it might be worth taking off your scratchplate. If you're in luck, your guitar might be routed for a humbucker in the neck anyway, all you'd need to do is find an HSH pickguard that fits. and a neck humbucker, obviously.

get back to us.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah, it is routed for HSH, well, it's just like a bath kind of routing.
I really don't fancy buying a new pickguard and everything though, ha ha.
Thanks for all you help everyone.
Phil
PS - I'll send uplaods some pictures when I get it and put it in, should be posted to me by the end of the week.
^ you might get away with something like a hot rail, since the neck position sounds fatter anyway, although it still won't sound like a humbucker it'll sound more like a humbucker than if you were putting it in the bridge position. also, there are loads of single-sized 'buckers, I'd check some of them out in addition to the HR- dimarzio have a load, and duncan have some other models.

I still say new pickguard, though, lol.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?