Hey to UG.

Whenever I improvise, I seem to get stuck in the "box" (or at least that's what I think it is )

e|---------------------------5-8-
B|----------------------5-8------
G|-----------------5-7-----------
D|------------5-7----------------
A|-------5-7---------------------
E|--5-8--------------------------

What are some variations or different shapes to use?
R E G G A E
correct me if im wrong but that my friend is an A pentatonic minor scale.
everyone loves them
go to the lessons section and learn some new scales man!
new shapes ahoy!
Oh dear god, I dont feel alive.
I have a new blog, of the interesting type.

In so far i have seen,

1. The Darkness
2. Wolfmother
3. The Grates
4. Faker
5. Kings of Leon
6. Coheed and Cambria
7. Architecture in Helsinki

and counting.
Quote by jimmmypage#1
correct me if im wrong but that my friend is an A pentatonic minor scale.
everyone loves them
go to the lessons section and learn some new scales man!
new shapes ahoy!

Yeah it is A.

It was an example of the shape I always use.
R E G G A E
Learn how to form scales yourself (the intervals)? Then apply them to one single string? That's what I do when buggerising around with new scales.

Like E major, 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
E|-0-2-4-5-7-9-11-12

Then E minor, 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7
E|-0-2-3-5-7-8-10-12

And E harmonic minor, 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 7
E|-0-2-3-5-7-8-11-12

Or E double harmonic, 1 b2 3 4 5 b6 7
E|-0-1-4-5-7-8-11-12

I dunno, that's what I do in my spare time. Look up new scales, see what intervals of the major scale I change to get it, and stick it in my head. Come up with stuff with it, transposing it from one string up to the other strings, getting used to playing things differently on the fly...
Quote by Dayn
Learn how to form scales yourself (the intervals)? Then apply them to one single string? That's what I do when buggerising around with new scales.

Like E major, 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
E|-0-2-4-5-7-9-11-12

Then E minor, 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7
E|-0-2-3-5-7-8-10-12

And E harmonic minor, 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 7
E|-0-2-3-5-7-8-11-12

Or E double harmonic, 1 b2 3 4 5 b6 7
E|-0-1-4-5-7-8-11-12

Are the "b"s flats? Argh I suck at this.
R E G G A E
Yep, they're flats.

Here's E pentatonic minor, with E minor for contrast:

E minor, 1, 2, b3, 4, 5, b6, b7
E|-0-2-3-5-7-8-10-12

E pentatonic minor, 1, b3, 4, 5, b7
E|-0-3-5-7-10-12

So you can maybe start playing different scales on one string, and compare them to the major scale I posted above? Playing around with them could help. All-Guitar-Chords can help you finding scales; if you wanna see a scale all on the neck instead of a box, just don't choose the position part.
Flats in relation to the major scale, so that those notes are one semitone lower than if they had been part of the major scale.

Anyway, why don't you just stop using that shape and use a brand new one from somewhere? It's not that hard a problem to solve...
Quote by Freepower
Flats in relation to the major scale, so that those notes are one semitone lower than if they had been part of the major scale.

Anyway, why don't you just stop using that shape and use a brand new one from somewhere? It's not that hard a problem to solve...

Because I don't know any others, and if I try and invent one it sounds shit.
R E G G A E
Quote by willpulman_172

Well, learn another from somewhere, there's huge lists of scales all over the place, not least on google.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=503032

Go there and read everythign under "Scales and Usage"

If you dont understand, post here and I'll try and help you
Alta Vera - My real life alternative rock band.
Ashen Spire - My personal metal band.

Super Mario, F-Zero & Dragonball Z covers!

PSN: whatev27

Let me ask you, does a machine like yourself ever experience fear?

What you should do is forget everything you think you know about shapes (when, of course, it comes to playing guitar. I'm not asking you to unlearn geometry, that would be foolish), and think completely in terms of music.

In other words, learn where every note is on the guitar and memorize them. There's a good exercise in the lesson titled: "Jazz Lessons. Part 1 - The Beginning", located in the music styles section of the lessons here on UG.

At the same time, memorize all the notes in the major scale (for every key), and learn all the modes of that scale and how they relate to each other.

Chords too, learn learn all the notes in each chord (major, minor, major 7, minor 7, dominant 7, suspended chords, extended chords, and altered chords) in every key, and learn how they relate to each other.

Lastly, it's just a suggestion, but stop using tabs. they're useful for learning songs quickly, but they only make you think more in terms of shapes rother than notes. I would use actual notation from now on, that would augment your understanding of how notes relate. And everytime you play a note when not using notation, try to think of where it would be on the musical staff, that would help a bit too.

Learing to play music is easy, but learing to play it RIGHT takes a lot of work and discipline(sp?).

One more thing, a quote from Silentdeftone (I don't know if he still goes here or not):

"Scales are notes, not shapes, boxes, or patterns."
Carpe diem; Seize the day.

Just be.

Scales are notes, not shapes, boxes, or patterns.
Quote by astallaslions
www.jguitar.com
pretty much all you need

For the love of all that is green and pure, don't use these kind of sites.
Carpe diem; Seize the day.

Just be.

Scales are notes, not shapes, boxes, or patterns.
Last edited by fendermalmsteen at Jan 28, 2007,
Quote by willpulman_172

get the notes and figure out where everything is on the fretboard yourself. That seems to be the best way i use scales and it helps for improv cuz you dont use box shapes
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!