I have been contemplating the future of how music is stored and distributed to a consumer.

I have realised CD's might actually become as obsolete as cassette tapes.

See I think CD's will be replaced by little memory cards, much like the ones you get with cell phones, which can store up to 2 gigabytes of data.

Gramaphone/LP records where replaced with cassette tapes which were replaced by CD's which could soon be replaced by memory cards...

My reasoning was the data on a CD can and does become corrupted with time, not least to mention that a CD can become damaged with scratches on the surface.

So in a few years, do you think we will be buying albums on little memory cards which can be slotted into MP3 players and iPods? Or will we just be downloading all our music off our computers from pre-bought CD's burnt onto the PC, or do you think the record companies will just allow us to download off the internet, a whole album at a price?

Yea I have too much time on my hands....
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Well albums are already being sold on memory cards: e.g. A Bigger Bang - The Rolling Stones

So, yes, you are onto something..but the corporations beat you to it :P.

Keep thinking like you do though
You're somewhat right, but the memory cards aren't needed. The MP3 players that we have now already have massive harddrives for music, pictures, movies, and other files.

If more people had MP3 player plug ins in their cars, or more folks used FM Transmitters, CDs would be much further on their way to obsoleteness.

MP3 players have already all but replaced portable CD players, so that's a big part of the CD use time gone.
Quote by Jesus Himself Christ
You know, you're one pretty cool guy, Kylster.

Please click this and critique some little ditties I done madeified myselfins!
I think albums will be sold as digital music online. Although the memory card is a high probability.
Quote by Guitardude19

Yea I have too much time on my hands....

Yup.
Manchester United Est. 1878

Do you DIG?

Cos I DIG.
I think CD's are being taken over by ipods and MP3 players. It's much easier to download the music from Itunes etc and placing it on a Ipod then going to a store and buying a CD which as you said can become damaged. Why pay money for something that can be damaged, when you can buy someting that will last
The sex offenders register.. personally, i don't even think they should be in school.
Quote by sum41kid123
Why pay money for something that can be damaged, when you can buy someting that will last

And how often to Ipods or similar MP3 players crash and just stop working....

I stick to my Walkman

It's an mp3 ready one though, so I can put like 50 odd tracks on a data CD and it will play it.
I think that is pretty obvious...
Quote by Zeppfreak170
I onece dumped a girl that I was seeing who already had a boyfriend... So anyway she put on like a stone and i dumped her telling her it was because i felt really guilty etc etc.

But really it's cos she got fat!

No fat chicks !
the future is not being able to download music for free. the memory card thing is a good idea but in this day all physical things are becoming redundant, an ipod and internet is the future
I hope not. Nothing beats the feeling of having a CD in your hand as you listen to it on some ageing CD player, looking through the booklet. It just isn´t the same.

Not to mention downloading at CD quality would take ages, and I'm not paying for some 128 kbps AAC file when I can get the CD for the same price.

CD's FTW!!
Quote by Twist of fate
Aliens can invade us. Apparently you've never heard of pearl harbor

I know this will sound lame, but buying a CD to me is more than conveniently getting the song. It's the whole experience of going to the store and buying an album. There's not a better feeling in the world than unwrapping that plastic (as long as it may take), smelling the brand new disk, and popping it into your cd player for the first time, while reading the print on the inside of the booklet. You really feel like you've earned the album, then.

I mean, Mp3 downloading (legally) is convenient, but I dunno, it's just not the same.
"If you're going to try, go all the way. Otherwise don't even start..."
Charles Bukowski
I'm really interested in what will happen next given that throughout time so far artists have been expected to fill a medium with their recording, like an album should fill a CD. But what happens when the medium has 20 gigs of memory?
Ya I dont know what there going to do, but cds arent going to be around a whole lot longer.
Quote by Zach_F
Please take your friends instruments, and burn them. Burn your friends too if you'd like.
Am i the only one who still uses a cassette walkman ??? I mean while rollerblading i dont have to worry about broken stuff cause a sony walkman is sturdy as hell....

*walks away in shame *
Quote by blynd_snyper
yes we all need answers to xboys questions hurry up goddam it

Quote by Kankuro
Damn you X-Boy!!!

Founder And Member Of The " I Don't Masturbate Club "

TURNED 18 TODAY !!! (22/02)
Quote by X-Boy
Am i the only one who still uses a cassette walkman ??? I mean while rollerblading i dont have to worry about broken stuff cause a sony walkman is sturdy as hell....

*walks away in shame *

I have a cheap cassette player that I bought from Wal-Mart for 5 bucks. I only have a few cassettes, though.
Quote by BreakingBnj
I know this will sound lame, but buying a CD to me is more than conveniently getting the song. It's the whole experience of going to the store and buying an album. There's not a better feeling in the world than unwrapping that plastic (as long as it may take), smelling the brand new disk, and popping it into your cd player for the first time, while reading the print on the inside of the booklet. You really feel like you've earned the album, then.

I mean, Mp3 downloading (legally) is convenient, but I dunno, it's just not the same.

your a virgin, arnt you
Woohoo !!! Dorkus you the man !!!
Quote by blynd_snyper
yes we all need answers to xboys questions hurry up goddam it

Quote by Kankuro
Damn you X-Boy!!!

Founder And Member Of The " I Don't Masturbate Club "

TURNED 18 TODAY !!! (22/02)
no. the CD, took over the cassette because it was more cheap and easy to build a cd than a cassette.

but making a memory card is way more expensive and complicated than making a CD.
so yeah. CD's WILL be an obsolete thing soon. but it will not be took over by mem cards
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by sum41kid123
I think CD's are being taken over by ipods and MP3 players. It's much easier to download the music from Itunes etc and placing it on a Ipod then going to a store and buying a CD which as you said can become damaged. Why pay money for something that can be damaged, when you can buy someting that will last

So true, and with this its going to bring even more sh*t music. Lets face it guitarist, this is just another, better way to market sh*ty music... No more band Image, no more booklets to look through. Rock music will be dead in 10 years. And in another 20 years teens wont even know what a freakin guitar is.
www.Savetoby.com

Help Save Toby By Clicking Link Above!!!!!
Last edited by joblow at Jan 28, 2007,
Quote by joblow
So true, and with this its going to bring even more sh*t music. Lets face it guitarist, this is just another, better way to market sh*ty music... No more band Image, no more booklets to look through. Rock music will be dead in 10 years. And in another 20 years teens wont even know what a freakin guitar is.

Yeah right

Quote by urik
no. the CD, took over the cassette because it was more cheap and easy to build a cd than a cassette.

but making a memory card is way more expensive and complicated than making a CD.
so yeah. CD's WILL be an obsolete thing soon. but it will not be took over by mem cards

I agree with this guy