So as the title says What are Ibanez' like for none metal tones? Im looking at maybe purchasing this ibanez Here but I play other stuff apart from metal so i was wondering what type of tones you can get out of this when your not playing metal/distorted songs. Thnx.
I use my Ibanez alot for non metal sounds and they're good at it. In fact, I don't really play much metal, I just like how Ibanez play. Mine are pretty decent at indie, rock, blues and even sound great clean, but that's probably more to do with my Orange's clean channel which is amazing.

So yeah, they aren't just metal. As long as you're not getting an EMG loaded one that is.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Depends what Ibanez your playing. It depends more on your amp, not the guitar.

The model your looking at would be good for metal, but i bet it would give a nice warm tone too for classic rock and some overdriven blues (i would think)

what tones are you looking for?
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
brad you smell like my hairy left nut

Quote by The_Hell_Patrol
Depends what Ibanez your playing. It depends more on your amp, not the guitar.

The model your looking at would be good for metal, but i bet it would give a nice warm tone too for classic rock and some overdriven blues (i would think)

what tones are you looking for?

Hendrix type tone, bluesy, indie, modern rock that kind of stuff. Maybe a beatles style tone also.
Last edited by david_safc at Jan 28, 2007,
Quote by sashki
INF pickups? Looks good. They haven't got the highest output, but they're pretty clear sounding. Ought to be good for rock and blues.

Are they still good for metal though?
Id look into the SA series, more specifically, the SAS36FM.

I played it, it was ****ing orgasmic. PLUS...its got a 'tru duo' system for the bridgepickup, so you can split it to make it sound like a single coil..plus the middle and neck pickupas are already single coils. But if you want that RGT42 then that might be a LITTLE dark for hendrix shit..but then i again i dont know, caus ei never played the RGT42.
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
brad you smell like my hairy left nut

Get a strat :P. lol but ya try something that has HSS or HSH configuration in it.
[img]http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9672/stevevaisigver24vf.jpg[/img]
Just an influence.
I honestly don't see how everyone thinks that RG's are the ultimate metal guitar...
Its hardly metal in my opinion anyways, but w/e..

The RG's do a lot, and will probably do what you want, but check out the S and its variants (SZ, SA, maybe SC), they might be more what you're looking for.
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
Quote by sylent
Get a strat :P. lol but ya try something that has HSS or HSH configuration in it.

Yeah but would a HSS strat get that "metal" tone that you can get from an ibanez?
I use S470, HSH pickups.
I use each pickup a hella lot and its very versatile, mainly the bridge which can still do everything, and I've only had it since thursday!
Anyways I can get, metal, shred (Vai/satch type stuff) Blues, Pink FLoyd-ish, Black Sabbath!(yeah thye're metal but they rock out loud ) some punk, ska

And I'll get a hell of a lot more out of it before it's gone (which will be in some good years)
Would a hss strat deliver tones like guns n roses and trivium? I know that it will obviously deliver tones by the likes of hendrix and iron maiden because they used strats, and maiden used hss strats specifically if im not mistaken?
Quote by deluxity
it has a mahogany body so i assume it has a warm tone,

lol i dunno what a warm tone is so is that a yes or a no? lol
ibanez s series,
amazing clean tones as well as distorted.
listen to some solo's from all that remains and you will see. oli does pretty well all of his solo's clean and its orgasmic
Quote by david_safc
Would a hss strat deliver tones like guns n roses and trivium? I know that it will obviously deliver tones by the likes of hendrix and iron maiden because they used strats, and maiden used hss strats specifically if im not mistaken?

The guys from Iron Maiden do use strats.

Dave Murray = S/S/S strat with duncan hotrails
Janick Gers = S/S/S strat with duncan JB Jr's
Adrian Smith = H/S/S strat, not sure of pickups (some say Dimarzio Super Distortion, some say JB, not sure)

Adrian also uses LPs and SGs though

Strat with good pickups will do maiden perfectly, depending on your amp. Should be able to get some decent GNR sounds too, not sure about trivium though.
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
id suggest either a SZ320 basic guitar all mahogany, archtop, set neck, or an Artist
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
If you like GN'R and Trivium you probobly will want an epiphone LP in the same price range as the ibanez, probobly wont have as smooth a neck but should give you more authentic metal/hard rock/hard blues tone. The only other drawback with an LP is that it hasnt got a 5 way switch so basicly your stuck with a split humbucker tone instead of a single coil tone.

If your hearts set on an ibanez definatly check out the SA series; in my experiance with them they give me better tones than any SZ or S series guitar ive ever played.
Quote by david_safc
Yeah but would a HSS strat get that "metal" tone that you can get from an ibanez?

sorry dude. but i just think anything with humbuckers can do the great sounds. HSS is the most versatile shit on the street. Well thats what i think, i played a HSS soloist jackson shouldnt be much of a difference. They both alder and the Fender strat also. Meh....its not by look its by your amp and guitar pickup setup.
[img]http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9672/stevevaisigver24vf.jpg[/img]
Just an influence.