I just don't really know how these work. I have a Fender strat so I have a volume knob and two tone knobs... and I thought that the tone knobs were for amplifying or ..unamplifying individual pickups. But I have three pickups? I played around with them and all I really got was it made the guitar a bit louder. Can someone explain them to me?
the volume knob is meant for 'amplifying' and the tone adjusts the treble in your pickup. there's a pickup switch that selects each of your pickups.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
the knob that says "volume" controll the volume of the guitar. the two that say "tone" are for adjusting the tone on your guitar. its very simple.
Gear
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Ibanez Jump Start
Fender Acoustic
Ibanez Tone Blaster 100 Head
Hartke 412 Cab
Boss Chromatic Tuner Pedal
Boss Noise Suppressor
Ibanez Weaping Demon
Also the tone knobs only effect the neck/middle pickups, they aren't wired to the bridge pickup at all.
Quote by Lewiji
Also the tone knobs only effect the neck/middle pickups, they aren't wired to the bridge pickup at all.

What? No!

One tone knob controls how bright the neck pickup is.
The other controls the middle and bridge pickup.
If you have a Standard Strat, then the middle knob controls the neck pickup's tone, and the bottom tone one controls the middle's tone.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by R_H_C_P
If you have a Standard Strat, then the middle knob controls the neck pickup's tone, and the bottom tone one controls the middle's tone.

Really?! ****ING GHEY! And I never even noticed!
Yeah, i'm afraid thats the case there my friend. I did however manage to modify my encore strat so that the tone applied to the bridge pickup, but it isn't really worth it. Thats why they are made like this.
Member of "The True British Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society"
^Boooo.

I want to change the mid's tone control to use for my bridge.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
First off, the volume won't control "amplification" as standard strat electronics aren't active.

Volume cuts volume (which through an amp will usually result in cleaning up your tone before lowering the volume

Most strats with SSS switching have a tone (they are treble filters btw) for neck and middle pups. It's fairly simple to mod this arrangement though.

So with the tone all the way up, the signal from that pup is mostly unaltered. As you roll it down, it cuts away the treble in your signal, making your tone rounder.