yo, this is pissing me off i don't have a whammy bar thing so how do i bend the notes that are on the high e string?
Bend it upwards towrds the ceiling rather than pull down
Quote by Lukeisonfire
tool and opeth definitly dont play tube amps . You cant get those distorted sounds out of it. tube is for like beatles stuff right?

Quote by evilbeaver22
You're right, just about the only thing better than a Spider 3 is an MG : )

I would not recommend bending down on any string, its not a great habit, unless youre on the low E or maybe the A string, but other than that, not a great habit. This of course assuming that is what youre doing lol.
Epiphone Goth Les Paul Studio
Ibanez SA120
Peavey Raptor EXP
Takamine Electric Acoustic
Boss CS-3
Boss DD-6
Boss TU-2
Boss MT-2 (For use with my Vox)
MXR M-108 10-Band Eq
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Peavey JSX Head
Vox AD50VT
Whats wrong with bending down, it gets the tone up much faster.
"Guitarmen, wake up and pluck wire for sound, let 'em hear you play"
-Charlie Christian
"You have to give people something to dream on"
-Jimi Hendrix
"I try to make any guitar do what I want it to do"
-Slash
Quote by ericgentz

What? No, it does exactly the same, it irrelevant as to which direction you're bending in terms of tone.

Just that you should bend up when you're on the b and e strings and down when you're on the e and a strings. Simply so you don't go off the fretboard.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Jonjy2
I once read that the E, A, & D strings (6th, 5th, and 4th) Should be bent away from your head, (towards the floor).

And the other three, G, B, & e strings (3rd, 2nd, and 1st) Should be bent toward your head, (away from floor)

Works for me...

That is what I do.
Quote by ericgentz

because if i bend the string down, to get the pitch i want the string falls off the fretboard.
i generally bend toward the ceiling anyway, it just makes it easier for me. Only the E and A get bent toward the floor.
Also if youre doing little licks in solos where you say have a bend on the G string, and you hold it and play a note on the B string, it isnt gonna work if youre bending down, and if youve been bending down your whole "guitar playing life", itd be a hard habit to change.

Edit: It also builds finger strength. Especially with higher guage strings.
Ibanez SA120
Peavey Raptor EXP
Boss CS-3
Boss DD-6
Boss TU-2
MXR M-108 10-Band Eq
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Peavey JSX Head
Vox AD50VT
"four up, two down" "whats that mean mother fu*ker?"

to quote shred durst....

anyways point is first four strings you should bend up and last two should be bent down, or something like that.
Gear
-Ibanez RG321 ( /w D-Sonic)
-Agile AL-3100 (/w Custom + '59)
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica
My hats off to you mr. lanzaa and you can put this in your sig

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
It a bad idea to bend the g,b and high e strings down because 1- you'll go off the fretboard, 2- you can't fo stuff like and all that stuff.
--------------10-----
--------10-----------
---B12-----------------
The Set-Up

Gibson Les Paul/Fender MIA Deluxe Strat --> MXR Super comp --> Boss DD-3 --> Dunlop Crybaby --> Need an amp, wanna sell me one?
Quote by JesseIbanez
I would not recommend bending down on any string, its not a great habit, unless youre on the low E or maybe the A string, but other than that, not a great habit. This of course assuming that is what youre doing lol.

Well I actually bend down all the time and I find it alot more accurate, but that's just me. Particularily on the G string.
Current gear:
LTD MH-301 fitted with EMG 81/60
Ibanez SZ320
Peavey 5150 with JJ tubes
Avatar 4x12 with Warehouse Veteran 30 and British Lead Speakers
Crate XT120R
Quote by AtrumArx
Well I actually bend down all the time and I find it alot more accurate, but that's just me. Particularily on the G string.

I never said it was less accurate itd just be harder to do the kind of things like i mentioned. Infact you couldnt at all.
Ibanez SA120
Peavey Raptor EXP
Boss CS-3
Boss DD-6
Boss TU-2
MXR M-108 10-Band Eq
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Peavey JSX Head
Vox AD50VT
Quote by JesseIbanez
I never said it was less accurate itd just be harder to do the kind of things like i mentioned. Infact you couldnt at all.

you can do 1/4 bends with what you mentioned
Rig:
-Jackson Soloist: SL2HT (On its way to Canada)
-Epiphone Les Paul Gothic w/ SD JB (Process of Modding)
-Art & Lutherie Spruce CW
-Dunlop Crybaby (Process of Modding)

For Sale
-Peavey Valveking 112
pm me for info
^but why settle for 1/4 when a slight change up can do whatever bend you'd like it to?? in other words i think bending down due to habit is just being lazy
Quote by TUMFP
^but why settle for 1/4 when a slight change up can do whatever bend you'd like it to?? in other words i think bending down due to habit is just being lazy

if you need to bend up you would, if you dont why bother...
i tend do do what ever feels right at the time ... but b/e are always bent up ...
Rig:

For Sale
-Peavey Valveking 112
pm me for info
true. i cant imagine someone attempting to bend the b/e down realistically. if you play any SRV, most pentatonic licks from anyone, i just think those runs will become more difficult than if you bent up. to each his own
You wouldn't. Notice how I said G string.
Current gear:
LTD MH-301 fitted with EMG 81/60
Ibanez SZ320
Peavey 5150 with JJ tubes
Avatar 4x12 with Warehouse Veteran 30 and British Lead Speakers
Crate XT120R
Since when is bending down a bad habit? That is complete BS. The only reason to bend up is to prevent the high strings from slipping off the fretboard. Being a blues player I find that bending down is smoother and gives you more control over the pitch.

American Stratocaster + Blues Junior

^i find more control when bending down as well, except for b and high e of course because there's not enough room, and when you're bending and then hitting a note on the next highest-pitched string.

the "rules" for bending are really just dictated by what happens to make the most sense as far as hitting the next note and keeping the strings on the fretboard.
E and A are the only strings you should bend down on. Bending down on others will lead to a bad habit, especially if you want to build finger strength.
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
im getting the C-1 Hellraiser Baritone and replacing the EMG 81 with my Zakk Wylde EMG 81

****in great dude
I'm pretty sure it takes just as much strength to bend down as it does to bend up. If there's a difference, it should be unnoticable.
Quote by Armored Artist
Since when is bending down a bad habit? That is complete BS. The only reason to bend up is to prevent the high strings from slipping off the fretboard. Being a blues player I find that bending down is smoother and gives you more control over the pitch.

+1

i bend down the 6th, 5th, 4th and 3rd string, 1st and 2nd up
Quote by TUMFP
true. i cant imagine someone attempting to bend the b/e down realistically. if you play any SRV, most pentatonic licks from anyone, i just think those runs will become more difficult than if you bent up. to each his own

some times when im just relaxing & playing i go off randomly & bend randomly for fun ... most often i end the b/e strign down and get the wierd clickig sound of the string hittign off the fretboard ... its soo bad :P
Rig:

For Sale
-Peavey Valveking 112
pm me for info
Quote by Zar Mulix
I'm pretty sure it takes just as much strength to bend down as it does to bend up. If there's a difference, it should be unnoticable.

its harder to bend up than down ... it is quite noticeable
Rig:

For Sale
-Peavey Valveking 112
pm me for info
Quote by joining_heads
E and A are the only strings you should bend down on. Bending down on others will lead to a bad habit, especially if you want to build finger strength.

Do you mind backing up your statements with reasons? There is no authority on bending and it is a matter of personal preference. Period.

American Stratocaster + Blues Junior

Quote by Zar Mulix

The difference is, when you're bending down, you have the strength of your wrist as well as your finger. Bending up doesn't include your wrist.

That's why when you bend up, if you're using your middle finger to bend, you also use your index behind it to aid in bending, ring finger, use the first two fingers, so on for the pinky. It gives you complete control of the string, and reduces fatigue on the fingers.
Quote by SolidxSnake
The difference is, when you're bending down, you have the strength of your wrist as well as your finger. Bending up doesn't include your wrist.

What are you on about mate? Of course your using your wrist, if you bend a note and leave your hand like that for half an hour you will get strain on your wrist. Especially with the ring finger (off topic but whoever decided the ring finger would be the ring finger?) your bending/twisting (however you want to say it) your wrist into the strings. There is an instructional video somewhere on YouTube of Joe Satriani demonstrating and explaining the whole process of how you use your wrist in bends.
I'm not saying that you would use your wrist for ALL bends. But a good 70% or so I would say.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
You could always just bend the high e down, make for some wicked high notes if you get it right.
Quote by SurfinWithSatch
What are you on about mate? Of course your using your wrist, if you bend a note and leave your hand like that for half an hour you will get strain on your wrist. Especially with the ring finger (off topic but whoever decided the ring finger would be the ring finger?) your bending/twisting (however you want to say it) your wrist into the strings. There is an instructional video somewhere on YouTube of Joe Satriani demonstrating and explaining the whole process of how you use your wrist in bends.
I'm not saying that you would use your wrist for ALL bends. But a good 70% or so I would say.

Didn't mean it so literally. Of course you use your wrist for both, but bending down harnesses more power with your wrist and your fingers as opposed to bending up. So it seems to me, at least.
Learn both bending up and down and use it as you seem appropriate.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS