I've been looking into buying a new amp, and im not exactly sure in what direction i should be going.

I play mostly metal, everything from old school thrash to new school metalcore, from Metallica and Megadeth to Pantera and Slayer to Trivium and Maiden, even some As I Lay Dying in drop C, and sometimes even some hardcore like Hatebreed or Terror.

I was thinking of going with a marshall head and just toying around with some pedals at the store untill i found a sound i was happy with. But then i was also thinking of a Krank head or maybe a Crate head. I'm looking to spend around 1500 on a head, so give me your ideas on the ultimate metal head, no pun intended.
for that price range Peavey 6505/5150

Period.
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

i hate those peavey's. a lot of bands using them, but they're sound is a disgrace.

my favourite metal amp: Rivera Knucklehead Tre. amazing.
hmm...

Laney GH50L/GH100L
Engl Screamer/Powerball/Fireball
Bogner Uberschall
Mesa Dual Rectifier
Genz Benz El Diablo or something
Rivera knucklehead
Ampeg VHT
Diezel Herbert/VH4
Randall Warhead

just choose whatever you want and try it...
VHT's
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
and if you also like pretty cleans.......
Mesa Mark IV which will be my next amplifier......
Quote by Archeo
hmm...

Laney GH50L/GH100L
Engl Screamer/Powerball/Fireball
Bogner Uberschall
Mesa Dual Rectifier
Genz Benz El Diablo or something
Rivera knucklehead
Ampeg VHT
Diezel Herbert/VH4
Randall Warhead

just choose whatever you want and try it...

1/2 those are twice his budget.

To the TS, the fact that you said you wanted to try Crate or Krank w/ a budget of 1500 means you REALLY need to get out and play some amps. BTW both those suck.
And i hope you don't plan on skimping on the cab because that will kill your sound.
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
im getting the C-1 Hellraiser Baritone and replacing the EMG 81 with my Zakk Wylde EMG 81

****in great dude
Quote by joining_heads
To the TS, the fact that you said you wanted to try Crate or Krank w/ a budget of 1500 means you REALLY need to get out and play some amps. BTW both those suck.
And i hope you don't plan on skimping on the cab because that will kill your sound.

+1