Page 1 of 2
Ok so I've made threads before about the guitarist from this band but I think it's about time everyone started to appreciate the true talent that is Patto.

Ollie Halsall on guitar and the infamous Mike Patto on vocals.

By not checking these guys out you are seriously missing out on one of the greatest and most talented bands from the 60s, overlooked merely because they were FAR ahead of their time.

http://www.myspace.com/pattotheband

Listen to the song "Hold Me Back" and you'll all understand exactly why I love these guys.

Quote by CornLord
Derigiberble would win in a fight against any UGer, n00b or not, just because most people on the site can't help but love him/her.

Get, Get, Get, Get, Get Out And Push.
Yeah hardly anyone knows they even exist. They wrote some crackin' songs and Ollie's playing is always unbelievable. It's sooooo far ahead of it's time it's not even funny. Nobody was doing what he was in the 60s.
Quote by CornLord
Derigiberble would win in a fight against any UGer, n00b or not, just because most people on the site can't help but love him/her.

It was definitely ahead of it's time. Ollie is an excellent player, and I enjoy his style.

There is this one guy on YouTube from Italy who has a video of licks that he recorded that were heavily influenced by the phrasing of Ollie Hasall and John Coltrane.

I recommend you check him out.

Now for some Led Zeppelin...
Pfft, scumbag, take that shite out of my thread.
Quote by CornLord

Ain't no bitch talkin' down on me.

*Raped*
Quote by CornLord

Yeah back on topic. He's alright, just a little repetitive at times. Very good technique but sometimes he seems to be rushing in notes a little. All the same, miles better than I could do, so, Kudos to him.
Quote by CornLord

Finally been able to hear something from them! Been looking for about a week... didn't think to check Myspace.

Now to get an album...
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Wow man Patto...good stuff. Sounds like it would be done in about '75 and the recording quality isn't bad at all. Album recommendation?

Check out their Top 8, is that really Mike Patto?

Nevermind, I read that Mike died that dude is his son.
Last edited by distilledspirit at Jan 28, 2007,
Quote by psychodelia
Finally been able to hear something from them! Been looking for about a week... didn't think to check Myspace.

Now to get an album...

Oh, come now, psychodelia, everything is on MySpace.
Quote by TheHeartbreaker
Oh, come now, psychodelia, everything is on MySpace.

Except me (I used to, but now I just use DMusic to show my music online. It's a little bit tough to gain a following when you aren't performing your material live )

That song Hold Me Back sounds very neat, once I'm done classes tomorrow I'll definitely be listening some more.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
They remind me of the Black Crowes actually. They are great Thanks Derigiberble.
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
No problemo. I'd recommend either the self titled "Patto", or their second album "Hold Your Fire". Awesome stuff.
Quote by CornLord

Quote by Derigiberble
No problemo. I'd recommend either the self titled "Patto", or their second album "Hold Your Fire". Awesome stuff.

yes they're amazing, bluesy and rawr but

...i don't quite see how were they far ahead of their time?

just a generic blues-based rock band imo

Sadly, the Patto story is full of tragedy. Mike lost his fight with lymphatic leukemia in 1979. Ollie died from a drug-related heart attack in 1992. Clive was left paralyzed and without any memory of his days with Patto in an auto accident. John, though left with a bit of a limp from the same car accident, is alive and well and owns a great pub. John still drums a bit for special occasions.

Also sad is the fact that Patto has retained its relatively unknown status, even in musicians' circles.

My Spanish Hearts
Last edited by rx_eb at Jan 29, 2007,
Not at all, they have so many jazz influences and they're incredibly experimental. Particularly Ollie Halsall. Nobody was playing guitar like that back then. People credit him for inventing shred. It's not something I personally stand by, but you can't argue with the fact that there was nobody like him in terms of style (and ability IMO) at the time.
Quote by CornLord

Quote by Derigiberble
Not at all, they have so many jazz influences and they're incredibly experimental. Particularly Ollie Halsall. Nobody was playing guitar like that back then. People credit him for inventing shred. It's not something I personally stand by, but you can't argue with the fact that there was nobody like him in terms of style (and ability IMO) at the time.

sorry for my ignorance

i only listened to Hold Me Back which is so bluesy and brilliant

but thanks for elaborating
My Spanish Hearts
No worries, that song is particularly bluesy. Just spreading the word of one the most underrated bands of all time.

Quote by CornLord

I absolutely will

one the most underrated bands of all time

^
words of wisdom
My Spanish Hearts
If only there was a way to spread the word of Patto more. More people need to hear them and be educated.
Quote by CornLord

Didn't he play in Timebox as well? Now that was a great band!

"MOOSE ON THE LOOSE!" man I forgot I had that album. It's so awesome!
Last edited by master at Jan 29, 2007,
Wow glad I was able to hear about this band, at first I coudn't believe it was frim that era. Cool stuff thanks.

Oh that was the band I remember Timebox was mentioned before liked them too.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Quote by Derigiberble
If only there was a way to spread the word of Patto more. More people need to hear them and be educated.

Post it in the Pit.

-Jacques
They are great. Their guitar player demonstrates a very unique style especially for that time period. In any case, great find Derigiberble. Where did you hear about them?
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
I'm just a generally cultured guy.
Quote by CornLord

guitarist is good, songs are bad. but it is ahead of its time, you're right about that...although allmusic says their albums came out in the 70s...
"I see my light come shining from the west down to the east
Any day now, any day now I shall be released"

Know any good teachers in NY, especially skilled in teaching ear training? Tell me
Quote by sirpsycho85
guitarist is good, songs are bad. but it is ahead of its time, you're right about that...although allmusic says their albums came out in the 70s...

Songs are bad? Whats so bad about them?

And yeah they started in 1970 but Mike Patto had been in Timebox before and Halsall also in a couple of bands before Patto.
Quote by CornLord

they're not offensively bad, i just generally dislike this sort of bluesy riff bluesy voice classic rock, with a few exceptions. not my cup of tea.

generally when i say the songs are bad i mean i find that the melodies, lyrics, etc are not to my liking...as opposed to a the performance and arrangement of the piece. Love reign o'er me is not a great song by the who, but it's a fantastic performance. On the other hand, while carole king wrote the song "will you still love me tomorrow" which was fantastically done by the shirelles, her own solo version is a pretty boring performance.
"I see my light come shining from the west down to the east
Any day now, any day now I shall be released"

Know any good teachers in NY, especially skilled in teaching ear training? Tell me
Awesome. Wish the CD was cheaper, though. 20 bucks for 9 songs.
"Rock music is important to people because... it allows you...not to run away
from the problems that are there, but to face up to them, but at
the same time to sort of dance all over them.
That's what rock 'n' roll's about."
--Pete Townshend
I bought the CD "Patto" for £10 which is just under $20. It's really not that expensive considering it's pretty hard to find them and the majority of CD's cost that much if not more nowadays anyway.
Quote by CornLord

Do you really care?
Quote by CornLord

Page 1 of 2