I'm looking to buy a new guitar and have picked out a few already. Thing is, some of them have whammy bars. I don't really care whether or not the guitar I get has one (if it does, I'll use it quite a bit, if not well...I can't). However if the guitar does have one, I want it to be a good one.

So are these whammy bar systems going to give me any problems (besides string, and it being a pain in the ass to tune)
Ibanez RGT5EX
ESP LTD MH-400
Member #5 of the The Haunted fan club.
Last edited by amped00 at Jan 28, 2007,
^yeah i've heard something about one of em that wasn't so good and one was like a messiah or something
hmm i much prefer a hardtail...i have a strat with a whammy, but the bar is rarely ever attached. all im saying is i wouldn't base your decision on soloely the trem unit
well that's what it's come to basically. i like all those guitars sounds and feel, and also a few others. I jsut wanna know if I am better of with a hardtail for that price range.
The Edge II isn't so hot. You want the Edge I or Edge Pro..I think. I'm not an Ibanez trem guru, sorry.

It comes down to whether or not you would use the trem to its fullest extent. If you plan on really utilizing the FR, then you may want to deal with all of the little quirks and issues attributed to the Floyd Rose.

Hey guys! I just started playing electric guitar should I get a Gabson Lay Pall or a Femdor Startokaster. I like the picks on the gabsons but i like how sweet femdors look. Beforre i get a gabson what company makes them?
if you have tremolo bridge, keep this in mind. If you like changing to alternate tunings or trying new string gauges like myself, you might need to change the setup of you guitar after you alter something.

i.e. truss rod adjustments, bridge adjustments. Otherwise tuning will be almost impossible with the bridge lifting up or dropping.

with my strat, I took a wooden block and shaved it down and jammed the tremolo. I am not a fan of tremolos.
Quote by brentonlatour
if you have tremolo bridge, keep this in mind. If you like changing to alternate tunings or trying new string gauges like myself, you might need to change the setup of you guitar after you alter something.

i.e. truss rod adjustments, bridge adjustments. Otherwise tuning will be almost impossible with the bridge lifting up or dropping.

with my strat, I took a wooden block and shaved it down and jammed the tremolo. I am not a fan of tremolos.

i'm probably going to be using Beefy Slinkies on it (11-54) i probably wont be changing to often out of BEADF#B

it's looking like it's not going to be fun..but can i make all those adjustments myself?
You shouldn't need to adjust the truss rod, at least not at first, just lengthen the screws on the trem springs.
Your strings will be pretty floppy tuned like that - I use Dean Markley Jazz 12s for that tuning - they have a wound 3rd string as well.

The other thing you could do (although probably not if you buy online) is bargain the guitar shop into including a set up with your required tuning as part of the deal - I know some who will.
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
i have 11-54's in B on my guitar right now, it's a good tension
I'd go whammy. It just makes sense to me to get a guitar thats fully equipped for any kind of expression. I want to get an Epi Explorer, and I'm going to, but I know I'll be playing it and I'll hit a harmonic and reach for the non-existent whammy bar, only to be met with disappointment. THAT could be prevented by having a Floyd Rose. You don't have to hold all that yearning for extreme divebomb destruction inside. You can let it out - and you should.
We're only strays.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I'd go whammy. It just makes sense to me to get a guitar thats fully equipped for any kind of expression. I want to get an Epi Explorer, and I'm going to, but I know I'll be playing it and I'll hit a harmonic and reach for the non-existent whammy bar, only to be met with disappointment. THAT could be prevented by having a Floyd Rose. You don't have to hold all that yearning for extreme divebomb destruction inside. You can let it out - and you should.

hell yeah bro, i totally get you. i am just worried about the quality of the trem system and the unit being more of a hassle than its worth
I'd go fixed. You're not going to enjoy your bridge a whole lot if you're going to use 11's and be detuning, imo.

Up to you, ofcourse. Just don't get the Edge Pro II, it's shit. Can't speak for the MH.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer

or just go get a gothic explorer.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by amped00
hell yeah bro, i totally get you. i am just worried about the quality of the trem system and the unit being more of a hassle than its worth

I have your same problem. I currently have a cheap guitar with a "strat style" bridge and am looking to buy another guitar. Problem is, is it worth to have a Floyd installed in it, because hard tails are much easier to tune. Personally, I like going from standard tuning to drop b or other tunings and I already know it will be a real pain to tune with the floyd, so im a little confused.

Oh and just a question, will hard tailed guitars untune with frequent use?
Quote by Kenit
Oh and just a question, will hard tailed guitars untune with frequent use?

Not really, assuming your strings are stretched and you've got decent tuners and no string caught in the nut etc.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Click.
I was going for a Jackson RR5 (pro series), which i think will have good tuners. As I said, I usually tune my guitar to drop b so they won't be so much stretched. does that mean it will untune?
It shouldn't.

Click.
OK, so i've been thinking about what bridge to choose, and I think the double locking would surely come in handy... So, how much time does it approximately take to change tunings with the floyd? 'Cause as I stated above, I change tunings quite often and I need to know if this bridge is the one for me.
OK, so i've been thinking about what bridge to choose, and I think the double locking would surely come in handy... So, how much time does it approximately take to change tunings with the floyd? 'Cause as I stated above, I change tunings quite often and I need to know if this bridge is the one for me.

About 15 minutes if you're really good at tuning and it's a minor change ie dropping the E to D, longer if you're not so hot when it comes to tuning. Also a lot longer with anything more extreme because you'll have to adjust the springs in the tremolo cavity too.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Or maybe i could get the help of a capo... but it still isnt very practical.
Last edited by Kenit at Feb 12, 2007,