Page 1 of 2
I made this thread on the pit by accident so i thought i'd make one on this forum now.
bas(s)ically, when and why did you buy a new bass after your first one?

Ive been playing for six month so far on a bass thats OK but only a cheap Hartke one that i got with an amp- and the thought to get another has crossed my mind but i'm going to wait at least another few months.

cheers, bullet
signature
Whenever you feel the need to upgrade, if you feel like you have grown out of your current bass then its time. It took me two years but everyone is different. If you do buy another one, i suggest buying one that will last a lifetime then you wont need to upgrade again
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
theres never a wrong time to buy gear, unless your buying gear because you think thats the only way your gonna get better
Deluxe American Strat, 3 tone sunburst
Line 6 Spyder III, 75w
When YOU feel ready to upgrade buy a better one. If you've feel you've progressed beyond the capabilities of your bass (tastes have really changed, the bass can't get the sound you want etc.) Get another one. But my only reccomendation don't go in and get one thats only a small step up from your current bass. I currently have a $200 Jay turser P-bass and when I upgrade in a couple of years I'll go up to a Geddy or a Miller. So a fairly big step. If you own a squier now upgrade big go for a highway 1 if you want something similar or go for an Ibanez or something entirely different just make it a big step. Another suggestion get a better amp before you get a better bass it really changes your sound. I got a Rumble 100 and I see my bass in a totally different light.
I've had the same bass for 4 years, and it still sounds great. I use it almost daily. I only bought a second bass so I could try out fretless and 5-string. Basically, I think you should buy a new bass when you either want to try out something new or your old one doesn't please you anymore.
I upgraded after only 6 months, my playing, taste, and style in general just outgrew the capabilities of the Fender, so I found an ESP. That's served me well for almost a year, not I'm in the market for a 5 string. Just go when you're ready.
Well after 5 years of service to me, I've decided it is time to get a new bass. I have a Squire P-bass that really isn't that bad, the only complaints I have is that the neck buzzes out like hell, no matter how hard you press down and how close your finger is to the actual fret. My pickups on it are broken aswell, so why should I invest more money into it to have them replaced when I could get a new bass?

The new bass I'm going to get will be either a Schecter Stiletto Studio-5 or Elite-5
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
I'm planning on jumping from a P-bass ripoff to a Warwick Rockbass....good jump?
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Basically ask yourself why you need a new bass. What will you get out of your new bass? Is it tone? Neck width? More frets? Different EQ capabilty? Lighter? Heavier? More stable neck? Different fretboard wood? Different body wood? Tuners? Bridge?

The question, my friend, is not when...but why?
Quote by Confused4930
I'm planning on jumping from a P-bass ripoff to a Warwick Rockbass....good jump?

The only thing I have to say about the Rockbass(the 5 string ones atleast) is the string spacing is rather small, so it may feel weird to you, and then slapping could be difficult if you're not used to the spacing aswell.

Other than that they sound great and play great

EDIT: I recommend trying one out before you buy one, that should be a must before you buy anything bass related.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
Just do it when you have the money. I had my first bass (£50) for one year then my second bass (£300) for one and a half years and then I just up to a Warwick jazzman. As I just couldnt find anything around £500-£700 that I liked. Although if your taste in music drastically changes that may be the time to change.
Warwick Jazzman
Hartke 1415 140Watt
Boss Overdrive
Quote by Funkbass796
The only thing I have to say about the Rockbass(the 5 string ones atleast) is the string spacing is rather small, so it may feel weird to you, and then slapping could be difficult if you're not used to the spacing aswell.

Other than that they sound great and play great

EDIT: I recommend trying one out before you buy one, that should be a must before you buy anything bass related.

I'll probably hold on to my 4-string for slapping and whatever else I may want it for. As cheap and crappy as it may be, I can at least get a half decent tone out of it for slapping (plus, I'm so used to it).

As for trying out the Warwick first, that's a given. I plan on trying out my main choices (the Warwick or a Schecter Stiletto) and choosing based on that.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead

Quote by Confused4930
I'll probably hold on to my 4-string for slapping and whatever else I may want it for. As cheap and crappy as it may be, I can at least get a half decent tone out of it for slapping (plus, I'm so used to it).

As for trying out the Warwick first, that's a given. I plan on trying out my main choices (the Warwick or a Schecter Stiletto) and choosing based on that.

Point about Warwick RockBasses.

1/ Yes, the strings are very narrowly spaced.

2/ Slapping on them is obscenely easy.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by Caustic

2/ Slapping on them is obscenely easy.

I'm curious....if the strings are so narrowly spaced, what makes it easy to slap? I know I'd just have to play it and see, but could you try to explain that?
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead

Well, I don't know about you, but when I slap, I don't start my approach to the string from about three feet away. If your hands are in the right place, you've got a reasonable technique and you've had a couple of hours to get used to the feel of the bass, you're going to hit the string and you're going to hit it clean.

I've never had trouble slapping on narrow strung basses, even five and six strings.

In my opinion, if you have trouble slapping on a slim built bass, it's either your hands are large, or you just have sloppy technique.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
im getting a job so i can make it time for a new bass

im stuck with a beginner right now
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
If you just sit at ome and play, I ould'nt gt a new one.

I would get a new one if I got into band and played gigs and such.
Quote by benttwig33
If you just sit at ome and play, I ould'nt gt a new one.
You don't need a new Bass you need a new keyboard for your computer, it appears to be faulty.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by John Swift
You don't need a new Bass you need a new keyboard for your computer, it appears to be faulty.

lol

but back to the topic on hand

I have major urges to get a new bass right now mainly as a main bass so my ibanez can be used as a back up, obviously my parents are taking the " No More Fu*cking guitars" stance.

I really need a job soon though TBH, then an all black jazz bass will be mine
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
Quote by Applehead
^ John you kill me! I think young american kids would call that being "pwned"

Help me to live.

Quote by jazz_rock_feel
^ How extremely appropriate!

its from the new bass related film where JohnSwift plays bruce lee, and benttwig33 is the other guy getting punched in the balls.

amazing what make up can do these days!

Help me to live.

i had my 4 string for two years but this christmas i got a 5 string because i wanted to play heavier stuff and have more range. some people wait a year, some people more. it all depends on the person.
Member 3 of Geddy Lee Fan Club. PM timmEH or RIC4003 to join

Member of Bass militia. PM Dinkydaisy to join

Cliff Burton is my idol. R.I.P

MegaBassPlayer's band of the week: Bound For Glory
Quote by flyingmarlin
its from the new bass related film where JohnSwift plays bruce lee, and benttwig33 is the other guy getting punched in the balls.

amazing what make up can do these days!

Charles Bronson is really John Swift in a mask, to conceal his real identify as mild-mannered bassman
Quote by Applehead
Charles Bronson is really John Swift in a mask, to conceal his real identify as mild-mannered bassman

over the space of 3 posts johnswift has turned into a clark kent type

Help me to live.

Quote by flyingmarlin
over the space of 3 posts johnswift has turned into a clark kent type
Hey watch it I just may find a convenient telephone box to get changed in.

G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
it all depends really, i've been playing since october 2005 and my squire p bass is starting to die on me. it was a pretty good bass but i ordered a highway 1 precision bass in daphne blue the other day. SOOOO happy
^ Wouldn't it have made more sense to save up the 300 pounds with the 700 and get a nice 1000 pound Fender or Musicman possibly? (I can't do the conversion.)

Why the Fender or the Musicman over the Warwick Jazzman? It may be just me but I've always preferred the quality of Warwick over almost any Fender and although I do understand the suggestion of the Musicman, that is a large price jump for not all that large of a leap in quality in my opinion.
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
^ A Musicman Stingray is not a large leap in quality from a cheap Hartke out of a starter pack? Is that in bizarro world?
^Well I just found out that John Swift is Clark Kent, so my reality has been shifted in a meaningful way, so hey, in this all too altered universe all is possible.

Back to the original thread--I'd say you need a new bass when you have either outgrown your old one musically or you are musically growing into areas where your current bass is not sufficient. This is why I acquired an Ibanez active bass last month. And with jazz being more and more part of my musical world, I will probably start looking for a gently used J bass soon.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
I currently have a $200 Jay turser P-bass and when I upgrade in a couple of years I'll go up to a Geddy or a Miller.

I started out with a Jay Turser P-Bass too!!!!!
Self-Improvement is Masturbation
Upgrade when you feel like it. Theres no rule on upgrading. I got a cheap 4 string Jay Turser p-bass, yes another one with that bass lol, back in october and it sucks. I don't like the sound of it and the knobs work bad I turn them and suddenly everything would shut off and I have to almost bang the knobs. Once I get the money in june I'm getting a 6 string Ibanez SR506 for more range.
^ A Musicman Stingray is not a large leap in quality from a cheap Hartke out of a starter pack? Is that in bizarro world?

That's not what I meant (or what I believe I said). I meant that with the somewhat large price difference I did not see a huge leap in quality between the WARWICK and the MUSICMAN. I was just saying that in my mind there was no great reason to opt for a Fender over the Warwick and that I did not see a leap in quality equivalent to the leap in price when considering buying the music man rather than the Warwick.
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
If you own a squier now upgrade big go for a highway 1 if you want something similar or go for an Ibanez or something entirely different just make it a big step. Another suggestion get a better amp before you get a better bass it really changes your sound. I got a Rumble 100 and I see my bass in a totally different light.

thats basically wat i did...and i havent regretted it at all

last february...after only playing bass for about...8 months. my parents took me to a guitar show at a local college (i was a sofmore at high school...my sister went to the college so we heard about it) and it had all different kinds of used instruments...dating bak from the 50s and just.. alot. they had like acoustic basses and stuff like that
anyway. wen i got near the basses. this black 5 string ibanez caught my eye then rite above it. there was a 4 string ibanez in red for a hundred dollars more
and i had been playing a 4 string fender squier
well..since i didnt have a job at the time and my bday was fast approaching. i asked my parents to buy me the 5 string for my bday...it was only 125. the guy said there were electric problems but he fixed them. and it sounded fine...then acouple months go by and i barely playd it at all...then i started to use it for like C tunings and stuff i cant help but play it
i play my 5 string 9 outa 10 times on average.
that reminds me...i need new strings. i am yet to change the strings haha. i get that sound like fieldy gets from korn...but naturally.
just gotta find some cash.
Last edited by Crazy Horse at Jan 29, 2007,
Quote by Masturbasser
I started out with a Jay Turser P-Bass too!!!!!

Awesome, they're pretty good quality basses for the price eh? Ranxston you must of got a lemon or I just got a peach but mines fairly decent.

Quote by Applehead
Is that in bizarro world?

Second Superman reference in one thread.
Quote by Applehead
Basically ask yourself why you need a new bass. What will you get out of your new bass? Is it tone? Neck width? More frets? Different EQ capabilty? Lighter? Heavier? More stable neck? Different fretboard wood? Different body wood? Tuners? Bridge?

The question, my friend, is not when...but why?

you get the high five award of the day applehead, congratulations!
Page 1 of 2