So yeah, I've gotten fairly good at whole step bends up in the high frets, 12-17th or so, I figured I'll try to learn Texas Flood by SRV, as he's got some awesome bends in that song.

....I thought he played it on the 15th and 17th frets. Turns out he played on the 6th and 8th frets on the eb and Bb string.

Holy crap. He's not only bending a whole note on the 6th and 8th on the Eb, he's doing with with .13s and getting an awesome finger vibrato effect at the same time.

I'm lucky if I can even get up to the whole bend on the 6th and 8ths, with .10s.

Can anyone else here do this bend, or am I just a crappy fender bender?
If you think SRV has monstrous bends, wait till you see some Albert King...

SRV tuned his 13s a half step down, so that helps with the tension a bit.
just keep tryin it untill you develop the strength to bend, remember when u first start u couldnt bend at all then u built strength and control.
"Marty Friedman > You" Club.

Quote by CoreysMonster

Buy the toilet Hendrix crapped in for the full "Jimi Hendrix Experience"

PM me if you think my drummer looks like angry kid

so far 61 people think he looks like angry kid
You have weak fingers. Keep practicing.

The problem with strong fingers is that light strings break way too easily. I can't even play 0.009's any more, because they snap when I bend them, even the D string.
Quote by mr_hankey

The problem with strong fingers is that light strings break way too easily. I can't even play 0.009's any more, because they snap when I bend them, even the D string.

well I've been playing about 6 months so I dont expect myself to be able to bend ub3r good unless i'm up in 11+ frets.
Quote by BreakingTheGirl
It took me SO ****ING LONG to get those down, but keep working cuz it wil pay off, bigtime.

will do, thanks
Quote by mr_hankey

I use 9's all the time and never have a problem with any string breaking. And I bend strings all the time. I'd say you have bad technique. B.B. King and Billy Gibbons both use 8's and don't have a problem with bending.

To the TS, build your finger strength, and use three or even four fingers for some of those bends.
Albert Kings guitar was strung differently, though, and he made his bends downwards, which is easier.
for rent
You have some pretty nice gear for only playing for 6 months.

Anywho, yeah, I say work on your technique-that's probably your solution to do those bends a bit better. Just keep working at it and you'll eventually build up your finger strength.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Not impressed bro. Whole step bends on 13's are not hard, especally tuned down one semi. Im capable of hitting bends two to three steps up.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Quote by zekk
Not impressed bro. Whole step bends on 13's are not hard, especally tuned down one semi. Im capable of hitting bends two to three steps up.

wanna cookie? Thanks for the help..

Well, yes, I do have a pretty nice setup for only playing for 6 months. But thats because I'm a pretty damn enthusiastic player, I play 2-3 hours everday and have been for the past 6 months, so I'm far ahead of everyone I know personally, and they have been playing for like a year and 1/2.

But this one area is what gets me bad, Bends can kill me.

To the poster that said use several fingers, how exactly would you do that? I only use one finger to do the hardest ones, my middle finger. How would you use three fingers, I dont understand?
Quote by GibsonPuppeteer
^ He means to fret the note with your third finger, but keep your second and first fingers pushing on the string behind it (the headstock side) so you can add power to the bend.

ohh, i see...*tries*

very tight, but that will take some getting used to =P
One thing I've descovered helps me is to use the meats of my fingers and not the tips, as well as placing my middle and indexx fingers behind my ring (general bending finger) to add power.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
put your other free fingers on the frets behind the fret you are bending on for extra support and strength, then your problems will be gone
it just takes time.
Im working on Finger strength too, I've been playing for a loooong ass time though.
Im getting as high as I can on my steel string
Pretty soon I wont have anywhere left too go but baritone string or something.
My top string is a 14, when I get to fifteen Im done.

How I do it.
1. Build up calluses, When I was a beginner, I nail filed my fingertips as tipped by my uncle, Whether it worked or not, I wont know. I also played alot, so for the first few months it hurt like a mother****er.
2. Figure out which direction to bend most of the time, I go up since my fingers are usually bent.
3. Practice lots of pentatonic solo's with bends.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
you think thats hard? try bending a full step on the secong fret on the G string with heavy strings. thats hard man. but you'll get used to it. ive heard SRV actually do wide bends (more than a step) with his 13's. he had mad strong fingers. sometimes you just got to remember that you are not him. but like i said practice and time will make those bends easier. i used to think texas flood was hard because i had to play fast (the el mocambo one has a few really quick parts i wanted to play) in G minor which has the frets farther apart then say in A and up. i usually play in G up plast the twelvth fret or played the other boxes. but now i can play as fast as i can anywhere else in the G position. just takes time.
Quote by zekk
One thing I've descovered helps me is to use the meats of my fingers and not the tips, as well as placing my middle and indexx fingers behind my ring (general bending finger) to add power.

as well as what i said this too^^. if you arent already doing that do it. it will help alot.
Quote by JDawg4098
ohh, i see...*tries*

very tight, but that will take some getting used to =P

all the fingers don't have to be on the same fret, just use other fingers to reinforce it from behind. This is a very important technique for bends.
Youve been playing for 6 months and your trying to learn SRV.

Theres your problem right there.
Danelectro
Quote by xSepulturax

There's nothing wrong with that, it won't be perfect but 6 months is plenty of time to get the basics down enough to start learning some Stevie.
.13s are awsome
but just build up strength ...
do a chromatic scale where you bend each note as hard as you can (w/in reason & using only one figer to bend it) i fidn this builds strength & also callosues easily
Rig:
-Jackson Soloist: SL2HT (On its way to Canada)
-Epiphone Les Paul Gothic w/ SD JB (Process of Modding)
-Art & Lutherie Spruce CW
-Dunlop Crybaby (Process of Modding)

For Sale
-Peavey Valveking 112
pm me for info
Quote by JDawg4098
Holy crap. He's not only bending a whole note on the 6th and 8th on the Eb, he's doing with with .13s and getting an awesome finger vibrato effect at the same time.

Are you sure it's his fingers making the vibrato, or is he using the trem? Nice gear by the way. Use 2 or 3 fingers with bends, and make sure you bend to the right pitch. I guess you already do but anyway, it sounds horrible if you don't hit the right note with the bend. If you have an electronic tuner you can use that as a tool for getting the right pitch.
Once, I was given a guitar with 13's, and I had to show a guy how to play the solo in Another Brick In the Wall Pt. II by Pink Floyd, which has 2 1/2 tone bends in it..

That wasn't fun.

But yeah, using your other fingers to support the bend works really well.

I guess you could try practicing bending at a place where it is easier for you, then slowly move it down the fretboard as you build the strength..
I just thought of that then, so I'm not sure how effective it is, but it's worth a try.

Hope that helps.
ESP H-300 (EMG81/85)
Ibanez RG570
Ashton VP30
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CE-5
Boss DS-2
Behringer EQ-700
Member #12 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club." PM Dæmönika to join.
Mr T of the Avatar A-Team.
Quote by xSepulturax

No problem with that mate. I began learning Joe Satriani songs after playing for 6 months, and within a few weeks of extensive playing and practicing about 5 hours each day I had learnt surfing with the alien, circles, and most of summer song.
It's not what you learn, it's about how much effort and time you put into learning it.
To threadstarter: just keep working on it and gradually you will improve...
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Try and go for Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottom Strings if you like your bends and vibrato but like the action low and meaty sounding chords. Combine best of both worlds.

It all depends on your action. High-action = Good for bends, but it requires your playing to be tighter to not make mistakes.

Low action is the other way around. Bends become harder, but it is more generous on your mistakes.
Q about tube amps:
Quote by steven seagull
Can I save money by using lightbulbs instead of tubes - will energy saving lightulbs last even longer?

Quote by †øXÍÇ͆¥
I'm not trying to look open minded, in fact I try not to be open minded.
I hate people who are overly open minded.
ALWAYS use more then one finger to bend

Use at least 3 at all times so your in control the string, you can apply a more controled vibrato this way as well.