Hey guys.

Is there specific woods etc for guitar tops. Or is it just a matter of having a thiner would etc on top.?

EDIT:

What would be a good way to draw the bottom of an LP style guitar. I tried a compass but it wasn't big enough.

I was thinking of getting a peice of wood. Nail it down and stick a pencil to the end and the use that.

I don't want to freehand it.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Orange Rocker 30 head and a Tiny Terror
Last edited by Lordoflax at Jan 29, 2007,
depends on what u want, u can buy flame or quilted bookmatch tops off wood dealers or more exotic looking woods w/e u prefer, tops should usually be about 1/8" thick if im correct, if not someone correct me
Another question. What would my best option for a bridge if I was to have a bolt on neck. I'm aware that bridges like PRS style wrap overs and TOMs need an angled neck pocket, so this is my reason for looking for a different bridge. I know there is the possiblity of using something similar to a strat fixed bridge, But as this won't be similar to a strat I want to stay away from them.

Any suggestions will be useful.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

You can use anything you want as a top really. Depends on what type of top you're going to be using. Usually, drop tops are 3/16"-1/4", and carved tops 3/4"-7/8". Depending on the thickness of the top, it can totally affect the tone of your guitar, or just accentuate certain tones.

As for angled neck pockets, don't be afraid of them! You can build a neck jig with about $15 worth of cheap wood from Home Depot. I'll upload a picture once the batteries for my camera finish recharging.

Alternatively, you can sand the correct angle (usually around 3 degrees) into the neck.

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Do you really NEED an angled neck pocket for TOM bridges? What about recessing it (the bridge itself) into the top?
That works too, but you have to take other factors into consideration. You have to make sure that your neck isn't sitting too low, because when you go to recess the bridge, you'll only have about .230" for your pickup rings/pickups. That means that you have VERY little control over the pickup height. This is all assuming that your fretboard is flush with the body though.

Also, it's very difficult to get the correct break angle from the body (string thru) to the tom bridge if it's recessed. Say you don't want to use a string thru design, then you have to recess the stop bar too. Can you get the correct break by recessing the stop bar too?

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Since one of the things I'm considering for a future build (way off into the future) is a recessed TOM bridge (carvin style construction, not Carvin style design, though), I need to ask- What is the proper break angle?

I'm not gonna have the fretboard flush with the body at all, but just so I can do some math and work something out, I'd like to know if there's an actual "correct" break angle or if it's just gotta be sharp enough to hold the strings to the saddles without them touching the atual bridge unit.
Well, the problem lies in the fact that with a recessed bridge, having it so low in the body doesnt enable you to have a decent break angle. Now, Carvin recess' their bridges so that there is only about .344" left of bridge sticking out of the body. This doesnt take into account the height of the saddles, which leaves a total of about .450" sticking out of the body (this might be easier to understand with a diagram, but **** it. ).

Now, if you've got too much of angle going from the body to the bridge, the strings are going to bottom out on the back of the bridge. I'd say that you're going to start pushing it once you go more than a 30 degree angle. Anything less than 30 degrees should be fine, and provide adequate sustain & pressure.

If you want, you can give me some measurements and i'd be happy to help you come up with a correct angle. Keep in mind, if the neck sticks are enough out of the body, you may not even need to recess the bridge!

Chris
Last edited by AlGeeEater at Jan 28, 2007,
Quote by Lordoflax
Another question. What would my best option for a bridge if I was to have a bolt on neck. I'm aware that bridges like PRS style wrap overs and TOMs need an angled neck pocket, so this is my reason for looking for a different bridge. I know there is the possiblity of using something similar to a strat fixed bridge, But as this won't be similar to a strat I want to stay away from them.

Any suggestions will be useful.

Not to be ungreatful for the information already posted. But could somebody try and answer this?

Thanks

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Me & Pikka pretty much covered it man. You can build a neck pocket jig, recess the bridge or go with a Strat style bridge. That's about it.

Chris
Quote by AlGeeEater
Me & Pikka pretty much covered it man. You can build a neck pocket jig, recess the bridge or go with a Strat style bridge. That's about it.

Chris

As much as this may sound noobie. Is it still worth having a bolt on neck even with a angled neck pocket?

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

What would be a good way to draw the bottom of an LP style guitar. I tried a compass but it wasn't big enough.

New question added to 1st post

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Quote by Lordoflax
As much as this may sound noobie. Is it still worth having a bolt on neck even with a angled neck pocket?

Well, bolt-on and set-in necks are just different ways of attaching the neck to the body. The neck angle on a Les Paul is necessitated by the TOM bridge, because it's quite a tall kajigger.

Re: how to draw the ass-end of your LP- I'm assuming you're making a cardboard template first... Well, attach two thumbtacks to the cardboard just behind where the posts for the tailpiece go in. Then make a loop of string large enough to do THIS (the red dot at the edge of the body is your pen or pencil). This should make a nicely oval shape. Granted, it won't be 100% exactly like a Les Paul shape, but very close.