I've recently been learning the arctic monkeys song no buses and when a G# major is played by the rhythm guitar the lead guitar plays over the top with the notes A, B, E, F# and G#. Now what confuses me is that what ive learnt in my scales is that these notes aren't in the G# major scale or the G# Major blues scale, So i was just wondering if somebody could explain what is going on here.
sorry i should have mentioned that the notes not in the G# major are A, E, F# and B and the notes A, E and F# are not in the G# Major blues scale
because the notes don't necessairly have to the either one of those scales, there's many more scales out there to use.
Looks a lot like G# Phrygian on first glance to me.
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
Quote by thechief99
so can you use the G# Phrygian scale to solo over the G# major chord?
You can do anything you want, but that isn't common and I don't suggest it unless you really know what you're doing and why you're doing it.
ok but can anyone still explain the answer to the original question because im still confused?
Quote by thechief99
ok but can anyone still explain the answer to the original question because im still confused?
Sure.

They use G# Phrygian over a G# major chord for the simple reason that it sounds good. From a theoretical standpoint, it makes no sense, but good is good.
Quote by elvenkindje
Looks a lot like G# Phrygian on first glance to me.

Phrygian is minor... but hes playing a major chord right... did i read that right?
Quote by fil69
Hu r emos???

Quote by .Sidewinder.
could someone translate that last post for me please?
Quote by Strat_Player
Phrygian is minor... but hes playing a major chord right... did i read that right?
Yes, you read that right. They are playing a minor scale over a major chord, completely theoreticlly wrong, but fine if it sounds good.